What's new

Feather All-Stainless DE

So, today's shave..... MUCH nicer!

Expanding on my previous thinking... I only did ATG passes today. Kinda like clean up only, right from the start. Short strokes, trying to keep the direction as close as a could to " against" at very point. And I raised the handle just a bit more.

Smooth. Clean. As good as any I've ever had and zero irritation as it was only two passes total.

Okay, I'm sold!

Cheers,

Ken

Oh, by the way, even if you think it, NEVER say a razor is too mild.... Word o the wise. Nothing serious but it did remind me thee actually IS a Feather blade in there ;-)

After a 10 days of waiting the feather have finally arrived from Singapoire.

What can I say, I'm impressed. As the previous posters stated, the razor is mild but not too mild. I just gave myself a shave with brand new feather razor and I managed to get BBS after the usuall 3 passes but with less iritation (compared to merkur sland that I've used).

The fit and finish is astounding, the weight is just fine (I love the knurling), the price is imo justified and the razor is definitely a keeper!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After a couple of weeks trying, I never did feel any love for this razor and bailed on it. Milder than my Techs and too handle heavy. It is very hard to get cut with, and so may be a good newbie choice...but for that price...

After a couple of weeks trying, I never did feel any love for this razor and bailed on it. Milder than my Techs and too handle heavy. It is very hard to get cut with, and so may be a good newbie choice...but for that price...

It is mild but with the right blade, I use Astra SP, I get consistently great shaves. I ended up getting rid of almost all the other razors that I accumulated in my early days and settled on this one, a Schick E2, and a couple of GEM SEs that I haven't tried out yet.

The thing is.... I worked to get the angle right. I went down to almost zero pressure. I have this down to two zippy-zippy passes... Totally clean and smooth with no inkling of irritation.

The problem is.... Now my shave is over WAY too quickly:huh: I mean, I have all this lather left on the brush, everything is set and I'm completely used to 4 passes and maybe a bit of clean up. A long, enjoyable process. Now it feels like I've just begun a shave and it's over. Not to return until tomorrow.... I feel kinda cheated....

I think this razor has to go (no way!)

Anyone ever felt this way? I would have thought this my goal, but now that I've found it, I'm kinda sad...:001_smile

Anyway.....

Ken

The thing is.... I worked to get the angle right. I went down to almost zero pressure. I have this down to two zippy-zippy passes... Totally clean and smooth with no inkling of irritation.

The problem is.... Now my shave is over WAY too quickly:huh: I mean, I have all this lather left on the brush, everything is set and I'm completely used to 4 passes and maybe a bit of clean up. A long, enjoyable process. Now it feels like I've just begun a shave and it's over. Not to return until tomorrow.... I feel kinda cheated....

I think this razor has to go (no way!)

Anyone ever felt this way? I would have thought this my goal, but now that I've found it, I'm kinda sad...:001_smile

Anyway.....

Ken

That's why I have my Schick and an SE or two hanging around.

I feel the same way about my shaving experience with the Feather but found new ways to prolong the process with brushes and after shave balms and such. :w00t:

ASBs is a good idea! Funny thing is, after any DE shave, I always kinda felt like I needed to hit my face with pinaud bay rum to "sterilize" it..... Today I just backed off to some lavender witch hazel as I couldn't even tell I'd shaved, save for the lack of stubble.... I may have to go dig out a couple of those balms though. Winter always makes me want to use that Cade balm that gets shoved to the back in the warmer months. BRB.... :thumbup1:

Ken

Last edited:
ASBs is a good idea! Funny thing is, after any DE shave, I always kinda felt like I needed to hit my face with pinaud bay rum to "sterilize" it..... Today I just backed off to some lavender witch hazel as I couldn't even tell I'd shaved, save for the lack of stubble.... I may have to go dig out a couple of those balks though. Winter always makes me want to use that Cade balm that gets shoved to the back in the warmer months. BRB.... :thumbup1:

Ken

I use Thayer's Rose Petal WH after every shave and then use some balm. I rarely use something with alcohol but go for some menthol drops instead.

Just got one and showing great restraint, as well as not telling the wife how much it cost I haven't used it as yet.:w00t:
There is method behind my madness as I gave it to my wife saying you can give it to me for XMas.
My thinking is that I get what I want for a present and have avoided any lectures about cost :thumbup:

I have been shaving with DE's for a long time. I have used most of them from one time to another and I can honestly say, this is one of the best I have used!
The razor is second to none in quality fit and function.

Thanks to Bill's and other reviews, I have given in and have ordered one. I am using mostly Feather blades anyway, which are quite smooth with my R89 (and the similar EJ DE89 I hear, one of which I will have to test as well, but that belongs to a different thread..)
Generally I tend to prefer milder razors so this beauty might be a good match. More of my ofn impressions will be posted in the review thread after a couple of weeks' shaving once I get it.

I sometimes use a Frankenrazor made up of from the "Head" from a Feather 3 piece travel razor made from stainless steel. I place this head from the Feather Razor on a custom, heavy duty, bulldog handle, made out of solid stainless steel. I've been using this set up for quite some time so I can get nice close shaves with the weight of the handle and the nice aggressive gap in the Feather Travel head razor.

Is there really a major difference, other than aesthetics and beauty, to owning this expensive Stainless Steel 3 piece razor?

Is there really a major difference, other than aesthetics and beauty, to owning this expensive Stainless Steel 3 piece razor?

The biggest benefit for me, is that the blade tabs are fully covered up. No more worry about badly nicking my ear!! (I have done it more than once, and it bleeds like crazy...:blush::blushing:)

The balance, and handle length are perfect. Overall, the razor just screams quality. It's a piece you can be assured will last a long long time.

It's not plated, so you don't have to worry about the plating wearing off, and exposing the base material (which on newer razors is often pot metal, which doesn't fair well once the plating is removed).

By the way, while the handle of the Feather Portable (which is the name of the razor you refer to in your post) maybe stainless steel, the head is most certainly plated, and not stainless steel.

The biggest benefit for me, is that the blade tabs are fully covered up. No more worry about badly nicking my ear!! (I have done it more than once, and it bleeds like crazy...:blush::blushing:)

I thought I was the only one scratching my ear once in a while. I had one Indian Wilkinson blade that was particularly evil, the corner of a tab had a little sharp piece that looked like a tiny hook - I didn't notice it till after it did some serious damage!

Top Bottom