What's new

Favourite razor

I LOVE my Blackland Black Oxide Blackbird. I'm a big fan of the SR71.

proxy.php

What is it about the Charcoal that you prefer to the Karve? I am considering both and e-mailed Charcoal to see about getting on a waitlist. They said they no longer used a waitlist. I think the Charcoal razors look more elegant, but the Karve is actually available and has a fairly cool industrial look to it.
To be honest, the Charcoal Goods isn’t necessarily any better it’s just newer and I like new things!

The Karve is an excellent razor I just prefer stainless steel which is something they should be offering soon. Once you dial in which plate you like, you’ll get a smooth and efficient shave.

To be honest, the Charcoal Goods isn’t necessarily any better it’s just newer and I like new things!

The Karve is an excellent razor I just prefer stainless steel which is something they should be offering soon. Once you dial in which plate you like, you’ll get a smooth and efficient shave.
I hope to be able to pick up a Charcoal hammered handle and plates when they become available. My assistant at work just brought in a NEW Bar Handle long comb today(with original case) in really nice shape. She found it in an old farm house she lived inias a child and has kept it all these years forfsome reason. Can't wait to try it tomorrow
IMG_20190509_161417131.jpg

Thank you Batchief. It looked that way without even cleaning it. I wish I could figure out what year it is. Best I could do is narrow it down from 1930-1941.

Is it fair to say it would be less aggressive than an old Gillette Ball
More efficient than a DE89, but just as smoth. but less aggressive than an R41.[/QUOT

An Old Gillette Ball Handle open comb is my every day razor. Would a slant be more or less aggressive than that? I am guessing less aggressive unless you cmthey make open comb slants?

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_075309312.jpg
    IMG_20190509_075309312.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Is it fair to say it would be less aggressive than an old Gillette Ball
I've never used an open comb slant, but I do have a Gillette ball end gold NEW Long Comb. I love the shave, but it can take a few fore passes than my slants.
DSCF0020 - Edited.jpg

I've never used an open comb slant, but I do have a Gillette ball end gold NEW Long Comb. I love the shave, but it can take a few fore passes than my slants.
View attachment 980469
Nice razor. My newest addition is a Gillette NEW Bar Handle with a long comb. I think there is a big difference in the feel of the shave with the long comb over my short comb Ball Handle. Ultimately it shave almost as close, but I agree that it takes more passes to get there. Having shaved with the short comb for the past couple of years, it does feel odd to me that I don't feel the blade on my face with the long comb. The long comb seems more forgiving with nicks. How is the slant with nicks?

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Nice razor. My newest addition is a Gillette NEW Bar Handle with a long comb. I think there is a big difference in the feel of the shave with the long comb over my short comb Ball Handle. Ultimately it shave almost as close, but I agree that it takes more passes to get there. Having shaved with the short comb for the past couple of years, it does feel odd to me that I don't feel the blade on my face with the long comb. The long comb seems more forgiving with nicks. How is the slant with nicks?
My long comb is probably a little more forgiving than my slant. Especially in the chin area and under the nose. I definitely had to take a little more care with the slant in the beginning.

I noticed your ball handle has a small crack in the handle like mine does and most of those I see pictures of. I love the balance of the ball handle but hate that the ball falls out on occasion. Was thinking of using a dab of rubber cement on the inside to hold the ball in. Have you done anything to yours to keep the vall from falling out?

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I noticed your ball handle has a small crack in the handle like mine does and most of those I see pictures of. I love the balance of the ball handle but hate that the ball falls out on occasion. Was thinking of using a dab of rubber cement on the inside to hold the ball in. Have you done anything to yours to keep the vall from falling out?
When I got mine the ball and screw parts were in the wrong ends. I managed to change them without incident and both have remained tight. I have looked at some of the threads on B&B that instruct o how to repair cracked handles, but was afraid of ending up with clue showing. If my ball was as loose as you say yours is, I might try a little glue -- either rubber contact cement, or fast-drying epoxy.

When I got mine the ball and screw parts were in the wrong ends. I managed to change them without incident and both have remained tight. I have looked at some of the threads on B&B that instruct o how to repair cracked handles, but was afraid of ending up with clue showing. If my ball was as loose as you say yours is, I might try a little glue -- either rubber contact cement, or fast-drying epoxy.
Yes, was thinking rubber cement or a touch of silicone. I gigufi those will peel right off if I want to remove them to restore to original. I hate to disturb something that is almost 100 years old

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Yes, was thinking rubber cement or a touch of silicone. I gigufi those will peel right off if I want to remove them to restore to original. I hate to disturb something that is almost 100 years old
I think that could work. As you say, it is reversible. I sympathize with your reluctance.

Yes, was thinking rubber cement or a touch of silicone. I gigufi those will peel right off if I want to remove them to restore to original. I hate to disturb so.
I think that could work. As you say, it is reversible. I sympathize with your reluctance.

Top Bottom