What's new

Favourite razor

That shows what I know, I thought slants were single edge. Are you sayingsthat not all single edge razors are slants? What are the differences between them?

Cool ad by the way
I do not know of a single Single Edge razor that is a slant. A slant razor hold the blade at an angle. This torques the blade. This causes the blade to bend. This means that they are usually (if not all) DE blades as they are thinner and can bend. SE blades are thicker and do not lend themselves to bend.

There are a few SE style blades. Some look like scraper blades that are available at the hardware store. They are not the same as the blades designated for shaving are a lot sharper. Others are thinner and fit Injector razors. Then there are FHS blades which fit a OneBlade razor. There are a few more, but those are the most common.

Here is a picture of a slant
open-vs-closed-vs-slant-razors.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
DE: Merkur 45 - Chosen over and above, Gillette superspeed, Feather Popular, Razorock Mamba .70
SE: Gem Junior - Chosen over Injector, Razorock Hawk V2
Cart: Gillette Guard

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think so, maybe I am wrong? What we're the old slant razors they used to give the American soldiers?
Not sure but to the best of my knowledge Gem only made single edge razors, Not slants. @Ron R would know more though.
Here is an ad for an Eveready Soldier razor set they are a cousin of Gem and I may have given Gems to soldiers also.
I believe that GEM, Everready & Star never MFG a slant razor unless it was a proto type they were thinking of.
Gillette also never designed a slant razor because King Gillette and management thought it was gimmick to sell razors.
There is a technique that mimics a slant called the Gillette or GEM slide and that is still used by some folks who know of it.
Gillette slide (2).jpg Gillette or Gem slide technique (fig.2)
Have some great shaves!

That shows what I know, I thought slants were single edge. Are you sayingsthat not all single edge razors are slants? What are the differences between them?

Cool ad by the

Thank you @azwetshaver
@nuattny there are also what are called none torquing slants like the paa alpha ecliptic slant razor and several others where the head is angled a bit to hold the blade slanted but don't twist the blade.

Yt9IKd5.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I believe that GEM, Everready & Star never MFG a slant razor unless it was a proto type they were thinking of.
Gillette also never designed a slant razor because King Gillette and management thought it was gimmick to sell razors.
There is a technique that mimics a slant called the Gillette or GEM slide and that is still used by some folks who know of it.
View attachment 981254 Gillette or Gem slide technique (fig.2)
Have some great shaves!

This works. You can also kant the razor a bit and then do a straight stroke. It will achieve the same effect. Skewed cuts are smoother cuts.

My two favorites, which are in constant rotation with each other, are my 1959 Fatboy and 1962 Slim. I love them so much that they have been the only two razors I’ve used in the last 10 years.

I only have four razors, and three are cheap (but very good, at least two of them) Chinese Bailis.

However, since I received my Parker Variant, I've not picked up another razor yet. It offers plenty of different things to try and play with, and is really nice to hold.

IMG_0684.JPG

I do not know of a single Single Edge razor that is a slant. A slant razor hold the blade at an angle. This torques the blade. This causes the blade to bend. This means that they are usually (if not all) DE blades as they are thinner and can bend. SE blades are thicker and do not lend themselves to bend.

There are a few SE style blades. Some look like scraper blades that are available at the hardware store. They are not the same as the blades designated for shaving are a lot sharper. Others are thinner and fit Injector razors. Then there are FHS blades which fit a OneBlade razor. There are a few more, but those are the most common.

Here is a picture of a slant
View attachment 981214
As, Ron, and Gar thank you all for the information. I thought a single edge was a slant because of the angle of the SE razor head. I have no experience with either a single head or slant.

I have been considering ordering a Charcoal Goods razor, but am having trouble getting nformation about the heads to make a decision. I currently shave with a 1920s short OC ball handle that I have used for a few years and just added a New long OC Bar Handle. I like them both. I am trying to figure out what plates I would order from Charcoal. If I would want to stick with OC level 2 and maybe also a level 3, or if their full safety bar is just as aggressive as the open combs. If anyone has experience with these your invite would be much appreciated

Definitely my Gillette Slim that I just got over the weekend. However I only have two razors so take that for what it's worth lol.

Top Bottom