What's new

Favorite travel kit recommendations?

Don't forget dental floss, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant and comb pack it all in a Dopp bag. Keep your bag just for travel don't use the products at home because you will surley forget something. Also an eyeglass screwdriver (for men who where glasses) and nail clippers. :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: NOW, WHAT I FORGET?

Stan-The-Man said:
SNIP...Keep your bag just for travel don't use the products at home because you will surley forget something.SNIP

GREAT point! I just got smart to this strategy after forgetting my toothbrush on a recent trip--fuzz mouth. . .:mad:

On my next trip I will most likely leave my Dopp Bag at home, than stop at a drugstore buy a disposable razor and a spray can of foam lather.:frown: :frown: :frown:

Maby even use my wifes fou fou ros but women's spray deodorant.:blush: :blush: :blush:

JohnP said:
Not knowing which "non-Idaho" location he is going, I cannot tell any farther what is available locally...
Kujo, you know you could just have fun with your "Grizzly Adams" experiment...its only a few weeks, right?
John P.

Well just because the locals don't shave much, doesn't mean I'm going to give up one of my favorite hobbies.

This will surely be the test of, "What would I bring if I were stranded on a desert island".

Right now at the top of the list are sample size tubs of:
  • Taylor's Avocado
  • Taylor's Shave Shop
  • C&E Nomad
  • Proraso

I've been watching this post since it started and thinking about it; what WILL I bring? You see, I am going to be on the road for more than a month this summer (late July to late August or early September) and I don't have any idea how I am going to be able to bring enough goodies with me to survive. It wasn't an issue the last time I traveled, since I wasn't into this whole wetshaving thing at that time... So far the only things that I am certain of are:

- Proraso tube & balm (the "milky" stuff)
- Thayers W/H (both Lemon and "super"... will have to leave the rose at home as SWMBO hates it and will be with me on this trip)
- AOS lemon cream (I've tried it twice now, and I love it despite the price)

Now, the important question will be, how much more gear can I stuff into my bag?

If your travels take you near a shaving retailer, then adding to the stash while on the road is a must! It is almost as good as seeing the UPS/Fed-Ex/USPS truck pull up in front of the house.

Ditto--on my last 2 trips I made special arrangements for a. a barbershop shave (relaxing but not a great shave), and b. a visit to the Nancy Boy brick and mortar store in San Francisco--a pilgrimmage to the mothership! Made a MAJOR purchase and had all the stuff shipped home--great service at NB!!!

I was with 4 or 5 of my doc students on the trip where I got the shave, and they were actually impressed--especially the women!--when they found out I had treated myself to a shave.

My Travels will be taking me to a rather large rock just off of the coast of North America; Newfoundland, my home province (to avoid any confusion, Newfoundland is actually a part of Canada and a part of North America). As such, it is very unlikely that I will find ANY place where I can purchase ANY decent shaving supplies [note: if you are from Newfoundland and know of great places to shop, please let me know]... so, I must be completely prepared and take everything that i will need for up to 6 weeks. I think that i'll need to get a bigger bag, or maybe just a second bag.

NMMB said:
My Travels will be taking me to a rather large rock just off of the coast of North America; Newfoundland, my home province I think that i'll need to get a bigger bag, or maybe just a second bag.

You know for a 6-week trip, it's a whole different ball game. And of course it matters whether you are driving or flying. If you drive, you've got all sorts of packing options. Flying, you're tight for space.

For my 3-week venture, I bought a 4-ounce bottle at the local health food store and will decant some Witch Hazel into it, a few small (1-oz) bottles for ASBs, and a little cologne variety. For shave creams, I'm going to decide on 4 creams to bring and will rotate amongst those. Not sure what to put them in yet though. I'll stick to one razor and a 10-pack of feathers, and my $35 C&E Best Badger brush

Well,

We will be driving (about 2,700 km - each way) so I won't have the same space restrictions that I would have if I were flying; but space will be limited. There will be 2 of us (myself and SWMBO) traveling in a Honda Civic and we will be bringing most everything that we will need for our wedding (except for my tux - that I will pick up in Newfoundland... wait, did I mention yet that the purpose of the trip is to get married?), plus everything that we will need for camping (in case we need to pitch a tent for a night) as well as all of the clothes, etc, that we will need for a 6 week trip. I may well end up having to hold my shaving gear on my lap while we drive. :tongue_sm

If space is really tight, and you have a place that you'll be using as a "home base"--parents' or in-law's house?--maybe you could ship some stuff ahead so it will be waiting when you get there, then ship it back home after the wedding. Just a thought. . .

And, congratulations on the impending nuptials!

I got a set of Magellan Travel Bottles into which I decant my favourite products at the time. It cuttently has:

Larger Pot - Trumper's Rose Shaving Cream
Smaller Pot - Some Dax Blue
Flip top bottle - Trumper's Limes Shower Gel
Flip top bottle - Head & Shoulders Lemon Shampoo
Green top bottle - Listerine
Red top bottle - Trumper's Limes Skin Food

I also carry:
Merkur Futur.
Dovo Travel Brush
Small sewing kit
Small Manicure set
Kent toothbrush
Tube of Euthymol Toothpaste
50ml Blenheim Bouquet EDT

This all gets stowed in a Daines & Hathaway Roll Up Wet Pack

Well Gents to revive this thread a little I finally decided on what to take for a 3-week overseas trip. Comment on what you like and leave the rest.

First off, I said screw it and decided to just put shaving gear into a separate "Shaving Kit" and pack all other toiletries into another travel kit. Bottom line; 2 small kits, with one dedicated for shaving stuff. The cost--I ditched a pair of shoes from the main bag to make room for it--well worth the price!

Contents as follows:
  • C&E Best Badger Brush
  • Merkur HD
  • 10-pack of Feathers
  • Tub of C&E Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream (I've bought 4 of these lately--$7 at TJ Maxx! Had to take it)
  • Sample-size jars of:
    • Taylor's Avocado
    • Proraso
    • Taylor's Shave Shop
  • Tube of Nomad
  • 4-oz plastic bottles ($.50 at Target)
    • Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
    • Aloe 80
    • Jojoba Oil
  • Sample jars of ASB
    • Baxter's
    • Caswell-Massey Sandalwood
  • Sample vials of colognes from Trumpers, Truefitt & Hill, and my own decants into empty vials
All in all, this'll get me by with no problem in the desert for 3-4 weeks. The whole thing is smaller than a pair of loafers.

Hajime!

I've been wondering what to do when I'm going on vacation next month. Dopp makes some nice bags, but they don't have those strap-in features like the vintage shaving kits on eBay. Aspinal makes an amazing bag, but no strap feature for the blade. Coach also makes a nice looking leather bag, but also no straps.

What kind of bag are you using to transport you dearly loved shaving kit?

Well Gents to revive this thread a little I finally decided on what to take for a 3-week overseas trip.

WOW, that's a lot of stuff. I might have mentioned that I'm a pretty obsessive light packer. Here's what I would take far a three week overseas trip.

- Razor. One that I don't worry about get tossed around a little.
- Pack of blades.
- My smallest brush. (23mm Shavemac - but thinking about getting a little travel brush.)
- 1 tube of shaving cream, probably Floris, because the tube isn't too big, and my face really likes it. Possibly T&H, because the tubes are smaller. Priority given to partially used tubes, for less weight. (Any shorter than three weeks, and I take exclusively the appropriate number of sample containers to get me through.)
- Sample sized (about half an ounce) bottle of Nivea balm, and approximately the same size bottle of splash (Musgo, Aqua Velva, Cade - something like that). If going to a warm, humid climate, then only the splash. If going to cold, dry climate, only the balm.
- 1 or maybe 2 cologne decants. The little plastic ones, not the larger blue glass bottles.

That's it. Anything more is a waste of weight, for me.

Short trips were I can pack everything in a carry-on, I switch up by taking a cartridge razor. And also ditch the brush and go brushless. Only one sample bottle of aftershave, and one, or if needed, two, sample containers of brushless friendly cream.

-Mo

Unless I'm not checking bags through, I bring one of those little 3-piece Gilette travel razors with a spare wrapped blade in the little vinyl zip case it came in. I have the small-size 75g (?) Proraso soap tub, a travel brush in a plastic screw-top tube (which I drilled a bunch of holes so I can put the brush in damp and it dries out), and small plastic squeeze bottle of Baxter of California A/S balm plus a little bottle of cologne, either one of the Burberry scents or Grey Flannel (they had some 1 oz bottles at TJ Max's for half price). And a little piece of stiptic pencil, just in case :biggrin:

Top Bottom