What's new

Beginners kit I put together for my 17 year old cousin

IMG_2599.jpg

My 17 year old cousin has started shaving (with a cartridge), and he told me he was interested in DE shaving, so I put together a kit.

List: 

-Merkur 42C razor

-Gillette English Ball End Tech razor 

-Blades 

-Derby Extra (10) 

-Astra Superior Platinum (10) 

-BIC Chrome Platinum (5) 

-Lord Super Chrome (5)

-Omega 11150 Boar brush

-Proraso Green small (75ml) soap tub

-Palmolive shaving cream
-Malizia Uomo Vetyver aftershave

Anything I should add or take away? Too many razors or blades? Too little blades, should I add some Feathers and Nacets, or some more Lords?

View attachment 1771590

My 17 year old cousin has started shaving (with a cartridge), and he told me he was interested in DE shaving, so I put together a kit.

List: 

-Merkur 42C razor

-Blades 

-Derby Extra (10) 

-BIC Chrome Platinum (5) 

-Lord Super Chrome (5)

-Omega 11150 Boar brush

-Palmolive shaving cream

Anything I should add or take away? Too many razors or blades? Too little blades, should I add some Feathers and Nacets, or some more Lords?
I don’t know anything about the 42C as I started with the 34, but not a bad little starter kit you assembled. Good job.👍🏻😊💈

If this is someone you might see on a regular basis, I'd probably cut back on the number of blades, and honestly only give them the Astras to start. Blade choices get confusing, and they should be focusing more on technique at the beginning. New shavers should be using the same blade choice for the first two months as they learn and develop technique. After they get that down, then you can introduce different blades so they can see if they like something different.

I'd also throw in a synthetic brush. They can be easier to learn to make good lather than a boar.

If this is someone you might see on a regular basis, I'd probably cut back on the number of blades, and honestly only give them the Astras to start. Blade choices get confusing, and they should be focusing more on technique at the beginning. New shavers should be using the same blade choice for the first two months as they learn and develop technique. After they get that down, then you can introduce different blades so they can see if they like something different.

I'd also throw in a synthetic brush. They can be easier to learn to make good lather than a boar.
Good idea, I'll just add Astra SPs and maybe Derbys, and take out the rest. I believe he already has a brush but he couldn't remember what brand or type when I asked, so it might be a synthetic. The Omega might not be necessary, but that's a choice I'll leave up to him. I'll have to do some research into synthetics though because I've only ever used a boar.

View attachment 1771590

List: 

-Merkur 42C razor

-Blades 

-Derby Extra (10) 

-BIC Chrome Platinum (5) 

-Lord Super Chrome (5)

-Omega 11150 Boar brush

-Palmolive shaving cream

Getting him off to a good start.
Jay

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
View attachment 1771590

List: 

-Merkur 42C razor

-Blades 

-Derby Extra (10) 

-BIC Chrome Platinum (5) 

-Lord Super Chrome (5)

-Omega 11150 Boar brush

-Palmolive shaving cream

Heck yeah! I see your starting your son off right! 1-razor is not enough, 2-razors and were just getting started, yessir! A good sampler assortment of blades as well, that auda be enough to get him started, and to help him decide on what blade sharpness level he needs. Yeah, you better through some Nacets, Wizamets, and Feathers in there as well. Because again, he's got to find out if sharp blades are his friend or not, only way to know that, is to try.

Nice Omega brush, solid wooden handle, whats not to like? Prorasso GREEN was one of my first soaps that I tried, its a bit of a thirsty soap, it loves its water, but slickness is about average, and should be enough to get him started. Heck, he might even like that Eucalyptus menthol as I do too. While I've never tried it, Palmolive is one of the most popular creams in the tube out there, many people like it, so maybe he will too. I've also never tried Malizia Uomo Vetyver aftershave, thats quite the name. Maybe the rule applies, the longer the name, the better it is? LOL.

I really hope that he takes up to liking wet shaving. If he does like the experience, maybe offer him a shave bowl, to help him take it to the next level. I started shaving far sooner then your son, I was shaving at 12 years old. And trust me when I say, when I was a kid, I was shaving all wrong, when I was using a cartridge razor. So thats why I say, your starting your son off right, hopefully starting him off with supreme success. Oh before I forget, better get him an Osma alum block, and a Pinaud Clubman Jumbo Stypic stick. Cause you know just starting out, there gonna be nicks, and there gonna be weepers, yes indeed.

Heck yeah! I see your starting your son off right! 1-razor is not enough, 2-razors and were just getting started, yessir! A good sampler assortment of blades as well, that auda be enough to get him started, and to help him decide on what blade sharpness level he needs. Yeah, you better through some Nacets, Wizamets, and Feathers in there as well. Because again, he's got to find out if sharp blades are his friend or not, only way to know that, is to try.

Nice Omega brush, solid wooden handle, whats not to like? Prorasso GREEN was one of my first soaps that I tried, its a bit of a thirsty soap, it loves its water, but slickness is about average, and should be enough to get him started. Heck, he might even like that Eucalyptus menthol as I do too. While I've never tried it, Palmolive is one of the most popular creams in the tube out there, many people like it, so maybe he will too. I've also never tried Malizia Uomo Vetyver aftershave, thats quite the name. Maybe the rule applies, the longer the name, the better it is? LOL.

I really hope that he takes up to liking wet shaving. If he does like the experience, maybe offer him a shave bowl, to help him take it to the next level. I started shaving far sooner then your son, I was shaving at 12 years old. And trust me when I say, when I was a kid, I was shaving all wrong, when I was using a cartridge razor. So thats why I say, your starting your son off right, hopefully starting him off with supreme success. Oh before I forget, better get him an Osma alum block, and a Pinaud Clubman Jumbo Stypic stick. Cause you know just starting out, there gonna be nicks, and there gonna be weepers, yes indeed.
I'll definitely be adding some alum or styptic, that slipped my mind. I started shaving at 15, and had to learn by myself (with the help of online reearch), but having some real world guidance would've helped. Although it's for my cousin, I don't have a kid.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'll definitely be adding some alum or styptic, that slipped my mind.

Happy to remind you! ;)

I started shaving at 15, and had to learn by myself

I'd say that 15 is certainly the average, I was just an early bloomer. And some folks are late bloomers, like your cousin. And while some folks have father's to teach them, many do not, and have to learn how to do it themselves like you. Your lucky you grew up in the internet era, where you can just Google it. Now your even luckier, cause you got B&B! :thumbup1:

Although it's for my cousin, I don't have a kid.

Many folks have made posts on B&B about introducing traditional wet shaving, to their son. This was a product of both me misreading your thread title, and filling in the gaps with assumption, oops. To be honest, knowing that you are doing this for your cousin, even means more. Because he's not your son, and yet you are so giving, as if he was your son. You know what that makes you? A great friend! :thumbup:

More generous than I was with my nephew, I got him the basic kit from Stirling, that said it seems to be working for him and has him excited about shaving, so I am sure this will be great. If I were to add anything it would be some samples of some other scents, just enough to let him know there is a world of scents out there if he wants to look for one that is what he really likes (not an attack on how what you got him smells, just know that scents are a personal thing and there is no telling what scent would be his thing)

More generous than I was with my nephew, I got him the basic kit from Stirling, that said it seems to be working for him and has him excited about shaving, so I am sure this will be great. If I were to add anything it would be some samples of some other scents, just enough to let him know there is a world of scents out there if he wants to look for one that is what he really likes (not an attack on how what you got him smells, just know that scents are a personal thing and there is no telling what scent would be his thing)
That's a good idea, I can decant various aftershaves from my collection. I will probably do that down the line though, not in this kit. I chose the most neutral and inoffensive scent I could. I plan on getting a neutral balm as well now.
I have a few more weeks to work on this kit so no rush, and have a few changes in mind now from various suggestions. Thanks for all the suggestions, they've helped a lot.

I should note, the Merkur and Omega are things that my brother and I learnt, so not everything is brand new. The Merkur was purchased on May 8th 2015, and the brush probably alongside. Here I was feeling kinda bad he was getting hand-me-downs, but I guess that's the purpose of PIFs and the like.

I agree with thevez about a synthetic brush. Don't have to soak them, they dry very quickly.

I have the Yaqi Sagrada Familia and it is about perfect for me.

Nice gesture, by the way. He is lucky to have an uncle like you.

I agree with thevez about a synthetic brush. Don't have to soak them, they dry very quickly.

I have the Yaqi Sagrada Familia and it is about perfect for me.

Nice gesture, by the way. He is lucky to have an uncle like you.
I'll check that out, multiple others suggested Yaqis.
He's my cousin not my nephew though, so I'm not his uncle.

I wouldn’t discard any blades. The way it is, he can see the difference between high, medium and a lower sharpness.
Just explain that in advance and tell him not to rush changing blades.
When I started years ago, trying a BIC was a revelation that made shaving a lot better for me and my coarse whiskers.

I'll check that out, multiple others suggested Yaqis.
He's my cousin not my nephew though, so I'm not his uncle.
They should have a decent selection and are Melbourne based. Not sure about local pricing though.

Top Bottom