What's new

Beginners kit I put together for my 17 year old cousin

I was gunna say, a broken in boar vs new would certainly aid his initial intro. I’d say let him learn on a boar, and buy his own synth later if he wants. If you teach him how to use the boat, he’ll have no issues with a synth later.

I also agree with limiting the blade options early. The Astras should be just fine. I went through low end blade samplers when I started and never liked any of them, once I knew what “good enough” was. Get him comfortably confident with the Astras then let him play with and discover what he likes would be my course of action choice.

Very nice.

Other than styptic, I wouldn't change a thing.

Keep it simple for the new shaver. I would still give him the two razors, and let him to try both initially, then urge him to stick with one for a month or so, to focus on the shaving.

As far as blades, I see TONS of posts to new shavers telling them to "get yourself a sample pack" with a lot of different blades, so I dont see why suddenly it may bad for your 17 year-old cousin. I think it wise to give him a variety.

...and the best thing you are adding to the kit is your guidance...that is invaluable.

Well done. 🙂👍

I have made the following changes to the kit:
-Added Natio aftershave balm
-Added styptic pencil
-Removed Lord blades (keeping Derby, Astra SP and BIC)
I will suggest to use the Merkur first and learn how to use that well (sticking with one blade for a while before the trying others), before trying the Tech. I am unsure whether to even include the Tech, I believe the Merkur is more beginner friendly as (at least to me) I can feel the blade easier and tell whether it is too steep or too shallow, which I think is useful to a beginner.

Top Bottom