What's new

Favorite Str8s

I have been using str8s for about 5 months now. I have some Dovos, some Wapis and now I just got a TI 6/8. The TI is a phenomenal shaver. I am truly amazed by the quality of the shave I get. It is now my favorite str8.

I would like to know what are your favorite str8s.

DaveS

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ask me after my Zowada arrives ... :001_rolle

I've got a few TIs, and I love them. The TIPTLE is great, as is the Covered Tang LE, which has become my daily shaver.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You are going to pass that razor around for us all to try aren't you? :001_rolle

I made a list, but I suspect the odds of The Razor Pass actually completing its mission and getting back to me are, um, pretty slim ... :lol:

I am a huge fan of the razors from the town of Sheffield. I am crazy about everyone that I have tried so far W&B, I. Oxley, Jos. Allen, F. Reynolds, and the list goes on...

I have a couple of W&B "Barber's Use" razors that I really dig. There's also a Robeson meatchopper that I've got that is quite exceptional. I just got a Joe Chandler handmade, and expect it to move into those ranks.

I haven't tried the Zowada yet, so my current favorites are Taylors Eye Witness, Filarmonica, & PUMA for daily shaving. The TIPTLE and RW custom for special occasions and when I feel like a little luxury. :biggrin:

I have 4. A Crown and Sword 1166 13/16,
One Filamonica 14 Jose Monserrat Pou,
One Dovo Best Quality 6 / 8 and one wapi.
My favorite is... the Crown and Sword. It's like this
proxy.php

My Filly #14 Jose monserrat pou black color

a couple of Le Grelots and a Wade and Butcher of barber use that was restored by FloppyShoes it just scares the whiskers off my face

Up until a few weeks ago it would have been one of the 6/8 TIs, but the Barbers Use Wade and Butcher has surprised the heck out of me. Currently first draft choice.

Daves

Current favourite is a Wade, Witherspoon & Rowbotham 6/8ths 1/2 hollow Irish Point. The thing looks like a hatchet and shaves beautifully. Up and coming are a pair of W&B Barber's Use razors like Dave_D's, that I got recently at the St Lawrence Antique Market in Toronto for $45 Cdn. :punk: They came in a two razor coffin but I'm not sure they were originally a pair. One has a chip, a broken scale, and a fair amount of hone wear while the other is in really good shape. I've taken the better of the two to the hone and shaved with it twice, and it's coming along nicely.

Best Regards

Graham

At the moment, my personal fave is old "no name" seen most recently on 04/10. It's like those shoes you've had for 3 years. They may not be much to look at, but they sure are comfortable.

I've got 2 favorites:

1) My Thiers Issard 7/8 Silversteel with red stamina scales.
1) My Worldmaster 6/8 silversteel with Bill Ellis made Cocobolo scales.

They're about equal I think. Directly after that would probably be my 7/8 Theunissen.

#1 - Tosuke (handles great)
#2 - Puma 6/8
#3 - Frederick Reynolds 5/8 full wedge
#4 - Taylors Eye Witness 5/8 wedge

There are so many I love, some better than others in certain respects. The above razors are simply my best all around performers (handling, balance, edge longevity, ergonomics). Sadly #2 and #4 no longer belong to me, but I loved them when I had them.

I've got several, atm they are my Geo. Wostenholm & Son IXL (which would ike to restore if I could only stop using it), Genco, Wapi, but I still haven't tried a couple of Wade and Butchers and a Keen Kutter that need to be cleaned and honed.

I honestly don't know. This past week or two I've been using an FWE Special (with the green cloverleaf on the end of the scales) with quite good results. It was originally pristine, but I've had to treat corrosion on the tip after apparently I had celluloid rot in a razor that was near it. :frown: Ah well. It's cleaned up if no longer "mint", and shaves like a champ.
I have quite a few "favorites".

John P.

My favorites (all 6/8ths)

1 Dubl Duck Special. Scary sharp
2 Wade and Butcher frameback. Smooth and solid
3 Dovo Special Tortoise. Comfortable, sharp, consistent
4 Mystery Sheffield, reground by Josh Earl. Cuts like a Samurai sword, mowing down anything in it's path

My favourite razors are:

1) Refurbished W&B 7/8 - 6/8 tapering wedge
2) Refurbished Rodgers 6/8 wedge
3) Chandler custom - 8/8 SS 1/4 hollow monster
4) Friodur 7/8 SS full hollow

I'm a huge fan of the Sheffield razors - especially in the meatier grinds.

The Chandler is awesome, its just too big for everyday use, which is why its lower on the list - nothing to do with fit/finish.

The Friodur is, IMHO, one of the best shaving values out there - mine has plain plastic scales, so isn't a looker, but it shaves great.

#1 - Filarmonica sub-cero 6/8
#2 - Dovo Special Tortoise 5/8
#3 - NOS Fritz Bracht era Super Bismarck 6/8

:001_smile

Top Bottom