What's new

Favorite Saponificio Varesino Scent

I have Dolomiti, Felce, Manna, Mirto, Stella, 70th... I like all of them, may be Manna e Dolomiti a bit more!

I've been wetshaving for at least a decade. For whatever reason, SV has never been a brand that I have paid much attention to. For whatever reason, last night I started reading a bunch of posts about the brand - and now I want to try one. The smart thing to do, given the price point of these products, would be to purchase a sample pack. However, given the high cost to ship samples, I think that I may end up ordering a full puck of soap, and the balm samples. Still not sure, however, what to try.

Reading through all of the posts in this thread, it seems as though the 70th anniversary scent is one that is highly regarded. That might be a logical one to order. As you all know, however, deciding on a scent without actually having a chance to test it, can be difficult.

Are the SV scents generally pretty safe? By this, I mean are the scents generally mild enough as to not be strong and/or offensive? My wife has a rather sensitive nose, and I would hate to choose something that was too overpowering.

My other question / concern is in regards to the seasonality of the scents. Are there clearly scents that work best in warm weather vs. those that work best in cold weather, or are these more classic scents that can be worn year round?

Sorry if these questions turn this thread in a different direction. I'm just trying to learn from you all so that I can make the best informed purchase possible

I've been wetshaving for at least a decade. For whatever reason, SV has never been a brand that I have paid much attention to. For whatever reason, last night I started reading a bunch of posts about the brand - and now I want to try one. The smart thing to do, given the price point of these products, would be to purchase a sample pack. However, given the high cost to ship samples, I think that I may end up ordering a full puck of soap, and the balm samples. Still not sure, however, what to try.

Reading through all of the posts in this thread, it seems as though the 70th anniversary scent is one that is highly regarded. That might be a logical one to order. As you all know, however, deciding on a scent without actually having a chance to test it, can be difficult.

Are the SV scents generally pretty safe? By this, I mean are the scents generally mild enough as to not be strong and/or offensive? My wife has a rather sensitive nose, and I would hate to choose something that was too overpowering.

My other question / concern is in regards to the seasonality of the scents. Are there clearly scents that work best in warm weather vs. those that work best in cold weather, or are these more classic scents that can be worn year round?

Sorry if these questions turn this thread in a different direction. I'm just trying to learn from you all so that I can make the best informed purchase possible
W/o getting yourself a sampler pack, there's no way to tell. I'm using Opuntia, Cubebe and Desert Vetiver A/S and I would call them anything but mild. These scents are rich, strong, and quite unique. At least to my nose they are.

As for soap, whichever you get, go for the 4.3 version, as that is the latest formula.

Reading through all of this has certainly pushed me toward making a purchase of a SV soap / after shave combination. Since I do not have a bowl to place a puck in, I have narrowed my search to a soap that comes in a tin. Narrowing that search further, focusing only on version 4.3, and to scents that seem relatively lighter and most appropriate for spring and summer, leaves me having to pick between Dolomiti and Opuntia. If I could only choose one of these (get both is not an option at this point), which would be the best choice? Ideally, I'm looking for something light and fresh, but not too clingy or floral in nature.

I do find myself being attracted to the Felce Aromatica soap, as it seems to meet the qualities that I find attractive. However, the only bowl that I have is too small for the puck. I do have an empty plastic container but I am not sure that a puck will fit into it. That container also does not have a lid - which seems like a problem for storage. Perhaps if (when) I fall in love with SV soaps, Felce will be part of a second order, along with a fancy wooden bowl.

Reading through all of this has certainly pushed me toward making a purchase of a SV soap / after shave combination. Since I do not have a bowl to place a puck in, I have narrowed my search to a soap that comes in a tin. Narrowing that search further, focusing only on version 4.3, and to scents that seem relatively lighter and most appropriate for spring and summer, leaves me having to pick between Dolomiti and Opuntia. If I could only choose one of these (get both is not an option at this point), which would be the best choice? Ideally, I'm looking for something light and fresh, but not too clingy or floral in nature.

I do find myself being attracted to the Felce Aromatica soap, as it seems to meet the qualities that I find attractive. However, the only bowl that I have is too small for the puck. I do have an empty plastic container but I am not sure that a puck will fit into it. That container also does not have a lid - which seems like a problem for storage. Perhaps if (when) I fall in love with SV soaps, Felce will be part of a second order, along with a fancy wooden bowl.
SV soaps are about 90mm (3.5 inches) in diameter.

Opuntia scent is similar to Creed Aventus. Dolomiti is a lemon & sage scent, with some lavender and woody notes. Felce is a fresh fougere type scent.

Maggard Razors sells some 4 inch diameter PETG jars that are a good size for SV soaps.

I have three SV soaps/AS combinations. I find that they all work great and they all smell pretty good, but if I had to rank them least favorite scent to most favorite scent, I would say:

3) 70th Anniversary - the bottle is pretty cool and the scent reminds me alot of Chanel Allure Homme (not the Sport versions which are more citrusy) - very spicy aromatic - more appropriate for a mature man (age-wise, which I am, so no problem).

2) Dolomite - Definitely makes you think of an icy mountain range - very clean smell - reminds me of the original PDP scent. I am not sure exactly which, but some ingredient in the A/S (could be clove, which I know is an ingredient from reading the scent profile even though you cannot really smell it) makes my lips numb for a few minutes when I first apply. This does not bother me, but I am just noting this.

1) Felce - my all time favorite scent - if I had to pick one scent to wear for the rest of my days, this would be it! Very reminiscent of Houbigant Fougre Royal - but more complex, and I think better if you can imagine that! I look forward to the day that SV releases this in a EDT or cologne.

3) 70th Anniversary - the bottle is pretty cool and the scent reminds me alot of Chanel Allure Homme (not the Sport versions which are more citrusy) - very spicy aromatic - more appropriate for a mature man (age-wise, which I am, so no problem).

I'm in my "early-mid fifties," so I assume that I am qualified to be old enough for the 70th Anniversary Scent!

Your top-three report is very helpful. At this point, I have nearly decided to try Dolomite as my first SV order. I think that the combination of scent and performance sounds pretty great. It seems to be a scent that I could easily wear year-round. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I'm also attracted to the tin container.

I'm in my "early-mid fifties," so I assume that I am qualified to be old enough for the 70th Anniversary Scent!

Your top-three report is very helpful. At this point, I have nearly decided to try Dolomite as my first SV order. I think that the combination of scent and performance sounds pretty great. It seems to be a scent that I could easily wear year-round. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I'm also attracted to the tin container.
Hey @Sean Mac ... have you got it already?

Any comments, impressions...?

I wanted to share, that my experience with SV soaps is that they last "forever", so whichever puck you get /have got, it'll be good for several bottles of A/S. That said, with that one soap, you can get several different A/S from SV and enjoy them all. That's what I do. And don't worry about it being different, as the scent of soap is moderate, while any of their A/S is a "powerhouse" that you can clearly smell for hours.

Hey @Sean Mac ... have you got it already?

Any comments, impressions...?
I ended up placing an order for both Dolomiti and Stella Alpina -- the soap and A/S balm. So far, I have shaved with the Dolomiti four times. I've yet to try to the Stella. My plan is to hold off on that for a bit until the weather gets to be a bit warmer, as it does seem to be a scent that fits best when its warmer (though i certainly could be wrong about that).

When I first opened the Dolomiti I was a a bit put-off by the smell. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but the smell certainly did not match my expectations. My first shave, however, was fantastic. I was pretty darn amazed by how quickly the soap produced a lather. When i brushed-up my face, there was a thickness to the lather that I found to be appealing and comforting. It was pretty obvious that the soap was a luxury product. When I was done with the shave (two passes, I believe, my face felt clean and somewhat pampered. The whiskers were gone, my face was smooth, and it seemed to have a layer of moisture on top of the skin.

I followed the shave with four drops of the Dolomiti balm. It absorbed into my skin very quickly without any lingering stickiness or greasy spots. Any reservations about the scent I had were gone, as the scent ended up being quite light - drawing no comments from my wife.

To this point I have been very happy. I am still experimenting to find the right amount of residual water in my brush to make the best lather. I've never been to a spa, so I can't make a direct comparison. However, after every shave, my face feels as though it has been pampered.

I ended up placing an order for both Dolomiti and Stella Alpina -- the soap and A/S balm. So far, I have shaved with the Dolomiti four times. I've yet to try to the Stella. My plan is to hold off on that for a bit until the weather gets to be a bit warmer, as it does seem to be a scent that fits best when its warmer (though i certainly could be wrong about that).

When I first opened the Dolomiti I was a a bit put-off by the smell. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but the smell certainly did not match my expectations. My first shave, however, was fantastic. I was pretty darn amazed by how quickly the soap produced a lather. When i brushed-up my face, there was a thickness to the lather that I found to be appealing and comforting. It was pretty obvious that the soap was a luxury product. When I was done with the shave (two passes, I believe, my face felt clean and somewhat pampered. The whiskers were gone, my face was smooth, and it seemed to have a layer of moisture on top of the skin.

I followed the shave with four drops of the Dolomiti balm. It absorbed into my skin very quickly without any lingering stickiness or greasy spots. Any reservations about the scent I had were gone, as the scent ended up being quite light - drawing no comments from my wife.

To this point I have been very happy. I am still experimenting to find the right amount of residual water in my brush to make the best lather. I've never been to a spa, so I can't make a direct comparison. However, after every shave, my face feels as though it has been pampered.
Happy to hear you like it.

I received the aftershave sampler today. Looks like it's going to take a while before I try them all...they sent 14 items.

I own the 70th and like it a lot.

Was all set to buy my next, and decided upon Stella Alpina.
*BUT* - was quite put-off that that particular "flavor" ships with no "container"...

The 70th comes in a nice aluminum tin.
The Stella comes in a plastic sleeve that SV advises *NOT* to lather or store the soap in.
Their solution? a $70 wooden bowl as a separate accessory purchase.
Um.... no thank you. It's hard enough to justify the cost of the soap/as set compared to the competition.

Question: how have others solved this dilema?
find a different bowl of the correct size, or grate/mash the soap into something?

Top Bottom