What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

I just borrowed this from the library. We both read it as kids in the 60s.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was - and still am - a voracious reader. I'm another one that grew up on the Hardy Boys books, although they were outdated even by then. I also read the Encyclopedia Brown series (anyone remember those?). I had a bunch of the Illustrated Classics Editions books, which were abridged versions of classic novels, with a pencil drawing every other page. My favorite was The Count of Monte Cristo. The first "serious" book I read was The Pearl by John Steinbeck, in 6th grade. Not a kids book and when I read it several years later I understood the themes better. Steinbeck remains a favorite.
I doubt if there is a better book that I have read than "East of Eden"..... He was brilliant.

FarmerTan

Reading all of the books in order in The Chronicles of Narnia is a fantastic experience.
Understanding the origin of the White Witch, and how the lamp post came to be in the Narnian Forest!
We read these in the evening to our only begotten as a reward for not acting like my side of the family, lol.

I miss those days. They sure raced by.

FarmerTan

I had very good teachers in grade school, particularly in 3rd grade (Mrs. Berger) who really encouraged reading. I had a large collection of Classics Illustrated comics and she encouraged a club where we could take a few minutes out of the day to read those comics. I did go on to read many of the actual books (Like Robinson Crusoe and The Three Musketeers).
I thank God for the teachers that I had that loved little ADHD boys..... I had more than one that I probably owe my love of books to. My Dad was a big reader, lol, Mom too when she wasn't chasing after her idiot third born child!

I seriously should have been left in our back forty for the coyotes to either raise me or eat me! That woman is a saint.

"Lady Chatterly's Lover" :c9:

I'm kidding.

Henry Huggins/Ramona Quimby
Winnie the Pooh
The Wind in the Willows
Dr. Seuss

And just too many other to count let alone remember. As a child I was a very avid reader.

Don't forget "Highlights"! Goofus and Gallant kicked butt!
The Coral Island by R.M.Ballantine.
I read that at age nine in my grandmother’s farm in Ireland. Still remember the gory details!

Favorite book at 3: Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
Favorite book at 5: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, my earliest introduction to my Luddite tendencies
Favorite books at 9: The Mouse and the Motorcycle and everything by Beverly Cleary, The Borrowers series, Hardy Boys (which are trash but I read them all)
Favorite books at 12: Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (I read every Civil War novel I could get my hands on), Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Favorite books at 15: Brave New World, Dandelion Wine, When the Legends Die by Hal Borland, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, The Call of the Wild, The Red Pony (I read all of Steinbeck except Grapes of Wrath), A Christmas Carol, Giants in the Earth by O.E. Rolvaag, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Mutiny on the Bounty, and more....

MtB

Last edited:
Favorite book at 3: Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes
Favorite book at 5: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, my earliest introduction to my Luddite tendencies
Favorite books at 9: The Mouse and the Motorcycle and everything by Beverly Cleary, The Borrowers series, Hardy Boys (which are trash but I read them all)
Favorite books at 12: Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (I read every Civil War novel I could get my hands on), Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Favorite books at 15: Brave New World, Dandelion Wine, When the Legends Die by Hal Borland, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, The Call of the Wild, The Red Pony (I read all of Steinbeck except Grapes of Wrath), A Christmas Carol, Giants in the Earth by O.E. Rolvaag, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Mutiny on the Bounty, and more....

MtB
I had forgotten Mike Mulligan, thanks for reminding me.

I had forgotten Mike Mulligan, thanks for reminding me.
You're welcome...and I forgot Curious George, thanks to Tinmantoo for reminding me of that!

I recommend Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordhoff and Hall. A boy's adventure story like a lot of the things I read as a boy, but I re-read it as an adult and enjoyed it maybe even a little more than the first time.

MtB

FarmerTan

4th grade, “Fifteen Battles that Changed the World” by Robert Silverberg. Ignited my lifelong love of military history.
Robert Silverberg....did he write "Lord Valentine's Castle" , the Sci/Fi - Fantasy trilogy? Or am I thinking of someone else @Quaznoid ? My leaking brane sometimes remembers things it never learned...

Top Bottom