What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Only minus: I don’t really like the handle on it. Less grippy than I like. Just swapped out. Using a Persona Red I’m on my 33rd shave! Just wipe off, add a little shaving oil and flip the blade. No nicks, no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would seem couriers are more efficient at getting packages from UK to USA then vice versa.

Ordered an Ikon Tek on Jan 4th. According to tracking information it took 14 days before it left US soil, a futher 13 days to arrive inexplicably in Denmark where it has apparently now sat for 4 days.

Exactly one month (of 31 days...) since shipping and it's not yet in my country :(
And Connaughts has them on sale....

I finally got around to trying a Kai in my FOCS and it did the trick. The wider blade gave me just the extra closeness I enjoy with my R41 and Yaqi slant. Now with my longer handle (aliexpress titanium handle) the razor is just about perfect. :lemo:

I finally got around to trying a Kai in my FOCS and it did the trick. The wider blade gave me just the extra closeness I enjoy with my R41 and Yaqi slant. Now with my longer handle (aliexpress titanium handle) the razor is just about perfect. :lemo:
need to try this mix

Only minus: I don’t really like the handle on it. Less grippy than I like. Just swapped out. Using a Persona Red I’m on my 33rd shave! Just wipe off, add a little shaving oil and flip the blade. No nicks, no problems.

I really like the FOCS, but I don’t much like barberpole handles. What handle did you find that fits on the Fatip threads?

I really like the FOCS, but I don’t much like barberpole handles. What handle did you find that fits on the Fatip threads?
There aren't too many handles that have the same thread as the Fatip. Some folks have had success with mismatched threads, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that. On my original Fatip Grande open comb I added a steel rod to the handle to increase the weight. That worked pretty well. For my FOCS I bought a new Fatip Zebrano - that's the same head as the other non-slant open comb Fatips except it has a wooden handle. For me that's a near perfect combination. The Fatip wooden handles are longer, provide good grip and look great (if you like wooden handles, that is).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
20210212_133817~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Silver Star (5 and retired)
Brush: Edwin Jagger Imitation Horn (25mm Synthetic Silver Tip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's Eldorado

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The FOCS Rocks! :thumbup:

Excellent shave. :cool:

So has anyone ditched his merkur 37C or 39C for the FOCS yet?

Because my merkur 37C impresses me every single time I use it and it's the only razor I use now. I'm not even exaggerating here.

That's why I'm hesitant to get the FOCS till now since I'm not even sure if it can even match or beat my 37C in performance.

I only ditched my post 2016 37c as it is very mild and only slightly more efficient than the 34c. However I have a German 37 that is based on an older 37c/39c head which I really like.
I actually find the German37 so easy to use and very efficient with a good bit of blade feel.

I was expecting the FOCS to be a touch better than the German37, but I actually find it a bit milder and smoother. The FOCS is a nice razor and shave nicely, but it's not over impressed me over the couple of weeks I have owned it.

Hense I am not rushing to sell my German 37 or Maggard slant.

I only ditched my post 2016 37c as it is very mild and only slightly more efficient than the 34c. However I have a German 37 that is based on an older 37c/39c head which I really like.
I actually find the German37 so easy to use and very efficient with a good bit of blade feel.

I was expecting the FOCS to be a touch better than the German37, but I actually find it a bit milder and smoother. The FOCS is a nice razor and shave nicely, but it's not over impressed me over the couple of weeks I have owned it.

Interesting read.

My 37C is from 2018 and I don't find it mild at all. It has some bite to it if I'm not careful. But it's worth it to me considering I can get effortless BBS everytime I use it.

There aren't too many handles that have the same thread as the Fatip. Some folks have had success with mismatched threads, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that. On my original Fatip Grande open comb I added a steel rod to the handle to increase the weight. That worked pretty well. For my FOCS I bought a new Fatip Zebrano - that's the same head as the other non-slant open comb Fatips except it has a wooden handle. For me that's a near perfect combination. The Fatip wooden handles are longer, provide good grip and look great (if you like wooden handles, that is).

My old Gillette 1904 & Star handles fit, as well as RazoRock’s SLOC handle & Merkurs. Maggard’s handles didn’t, yet they fit 1 of the heads that I switched handles with. Go figure!

...I was expecting the FOCS to be a touch better than the German37, but I actually find it a bit milder and smoother. The FOCS is a nice razor and shave nicely, but it's not over impressed me over the couple of weeks I have owned it...
I've also got a German 37 which works very well for me.

I've been getting great results with the Fatip Slant Piccolo I got just a couple of weeks ago. I just think it takes time to get to know a new razor and how to get the best from it.

I'm planning to use the Fatip Slant Piccolo for the whole month of March in the Fixed Four. It should be a good experience.

I anxiously waited for Maggard’s to get their slant. Don’t like it at all! FOCS hits my sweet spot! Although I still like to pull out my single edge razor at times.

I've also got a German 37 which works very well for me.

I've been getting great results with the Fatip Slant Piccolo I got just a couple of weeks ago. I just think it takes time to get to know a new razor and how to get the best from it.

I'm planning to use the Fatip Slant Piccolo for the whole month of March in the Fixed Four. It should be a good experience.

I think the FOCS does take a bit to dial in. As for me the German37 was very easy to use from day one with excellent results. I may have to try the FOCS in the fixed four for March to give it a good run.

I anxiously waited for Maggard’s to get their slant. Don’t like it at all! FOCS hits my sweet spot! Although I still like to pull out my single edge razor at times.

I was a bit unsure about the Maggard slant when I ordered it as it has a reputation of being aggressive. I found the MS very smooth but not as aggressive as the G37 or FOCS. For me the FOCS sits in the middle of the G37 and MS in both aggressiveness and smoothness.
I think I have to just dial in the FOCS and find the best blade for it.

I was a bit unsure about the Maggard slant when I ordered it as it has a reputation of being aggressive. I found the MS very smooth but not as aggressive as the G37 or FOCS. For me the FOCS sits in the middle of the G37 and MS in both aggressiveness and smoothness.
I think I have to just dial in the FOCS and find the best blade for it.

Have you tried a Gillette Platinum?

Have you tried a Gillette Platinum?

No I have not tried Gillette Platinum. They are quite a hard blade to get hold of at a good price in Australia. As only available at a couple of suppliers.
I have tried the Gillette Nacet which seemed good. This morning I tried a new Rapira Platinum Lux which was okay but slightly tuggy. So will stick the the Nacet for a while. I think it is just taking me a bit to master the FOCS.

Top Bottom