What's new

*Fatip Slant*

No I have not tried Gillette Platinum. They are quite a hard blade to get hold of at a good price in Australia. As only available at a couple of suppliers.
I have tried the Gillette Nacet which seemed good. This morning I tried a new Rapira Platinum Lux which was okay but slightly tuggy. So will stick the the Nacet for a while. I think it is just taking me a bit to master the FOCS.

Gillette Platinum are the best blades I've used in any Fatip razor, followed by Rapira Swedes. Other notable blades for it are Treet Platinum and the 7 Green (Russian). The 7's are especially forgiving. It would be really hard to cut yourself with the 7/Fatip combo. Treets will bite if your aren't somewhat careful. Permasharps are pretty decent to but not the best with fatip.

just wanted to add:
the quality of the shave I get from this razor is all about *pressure*.

I think since when used with very light pressure, the blade feel you may expect from an open comb slant, might not be there. This is ok! Fight the urge to increase pressure. just enjoy the smoothness, and “let the blade do the work.”

Occasionally, I find myself falling into the trap of applying more pressure - thinking this will increase efficiency.

This is wrong.

When I apply too much pressure, I get equal or even less efficiency, and also weepers and post- shave irritation.

But if I stay light, and trust the balde, I get a very close and comfortable shave.

just wanted to add:
the quality of the shave I get from this razor is all about *pressure*.

I think since when used with very light pressure, the blade feel you may expect from an open comb slant, might not be there. This is ok! Fight the urge to increase pressure. just enjoy the smoothness, and “let the blade do the work.”

Occasionally, I find myself falling into the trap of applying more pressure - thinking this will increase efficiency.

This is wrong.

When I apply too much pressure, I get equal or even less efficiency, and also weepers and post- shave irritation.

But if I stay light, and trust the balde, I get a very close and comfortable shave.

This is a very good point. For some reason when I use a heavier razor I use a lighter touch. As I allow the razor weight to do the work. However with lighter razors I often end up using a bit of pressure. My G37 and MS with the RR HD handle is significantly heavier than the FOCS.

This morning I tried the FOCS with a new Nacet and made sure i used a very light touch. This help and improved the shave and consistency of the shave. Also no signs of irritation.

I picked up the gentile version last week and have given it a couple of tries now.

It's well put together, no alignment issues, a couple of little sharp edges in the plating on the handle which quickly came off.

The shave itself is good. Using my preferred Lord blade it's been nice and close with no real irritation. I've had few nicks in those first couple of uses but I've spent 9 years with one razor so I'm putting down as a learning curve.

Seems to be well worth the money.

I picked up the gentile version last week and have given it a couple of tries now.

It's well put together, no alignment issues, a couple of little sharp edges in the plating on the handle which quickly came off.

The shave itself is good. Using my preferred Lord blade it's been nice and close with no real irritation. I've had few nicks in those first couple of uses but I've spent 9 years with one razor so I'm putting down as a learning curve.

Seems to be well worth the money.

The gentile really is a great razor esp. at the price point.

So has anyone ditched his merkur 37C or 39C for the FOCS yet?

Because my merkur 37C impresses me every single time I use it and it's the only razor I use now. I'm not even exaggerating here.

That's why I'm hesitant to get the FOCS till now since I'm not even sure if it can even match or beat my 37C in performance.

I doubt I will ever find a slant I like better than my 39C with the older head. I'd never give it up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday
shave 20210219.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave/Fragrance: Pinaud Clubman Musk After Shave Cologne

The FOCS Rocks! :thumbup:

Excellent shave. :cool:

Never used a slant. Never used a Fatip.

I have a GC .84P that I really enjoy and may have unseated my Rockwell 6S (plate 5). Ideally, I like having only one DE for daily use, perhaps with a backup/travel razor on hand. Currently that's an EJ DE89 that I've had for a while and is perfectly serviceable when it is called into use (rarely).

Should I buy a Lo Storto Originale? And if so, why?

I say if you haven't yet tried a slant, you should go for it. It's the cheapest way to try one out.

Or you could go with ATT which is supposed to be very nice.

I've been having great success with the Derby Usta blades in this razor. I'm someone who is no stranger to ditching a blade after one use (many blades, I feel, lose enough sharpness after one shave to ditch it), and I've lost count but I must have had at least five shaves on that blade and it's still going strong. Excellent combination, works well for daily shaves. I got my Fatip Slant a few months ago and it's all I've used since.

I really need to use this razor more than 2-3 times a month! Of course, slating it for a Saturday morning shave, whether I'm due at the barber or not, makes the shave something to look forward to. Today it was chambered with a Rapira Super Stainless blade, 2 shaves on it. Near BBS; I hardly felt the blade on the first, WTG pass.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1613864009262.png

Perhaps I can rephrase. Is there any chance this unseats the GC .84 as my go-to razor? I might ask the same about a Piccolo while we're at it.

That is to say of course there's a chance.

Commenting on the GC .84 vs the FOCS would be beyond me as I don't have the GC.

The Piccolo I do have. I don't like its skinny handle, but I also have the Mk1 Grande, the Mk2 Grande, the Schöne, the Plisson-Joris, and a Gentile. The Piccolo's great with a Grande handle.

The FOCS blows 'em all out of the water in my experience (and I like all my other Fatip razors very much; especially do I like my Mk1).

1613864358905.png
FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG

Pay no attention to anyone who doesn't have and use all the razors you're interested in knowing about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Perhaps I can rephrase. Is there any chance this unseats the GC .84 as my go-to razor? I might ask the same about a Piccolo while we're at it.

I seem to be in a very small minority here. I found the FOCS quite uncomfortable and it did not give me as good a shave as many other razors I have. My GC .84 SB is a very good razor for me, comfortable, gives me excellent shaves without having to concentrate very hard on technique early in the morning.

But then again, the only way to know for you is to try it. What works for me may or may not work for you.

Top Bottom