What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I bet shipping will determine your best option. Connaught shaving was OK for my 1st order despite covid, price and shipping were reasonable (I am in US). 2nd I got from Maggards in the US (same price) shipping was faster. The price for the razors was the same.

Has anyone tried the Astra SP with the FOCS?

Today on my second shaving with the FOCS with a brand new Astra SP, i end up with a nice shaving but with a couple of wheepers, which is not normal for me.
On the first shave I have 48h of growth and now 36h.
It's a great pairing

Has anyone tried the Astra SP with the FOCS?

Today on my second shaving with the FOCS with a brand new Astra SP, i end up with a nice shaving but with a couple of wheepers, which is not normal for me.
On the first shave I have 48h of growth and now 36h.
It's a great pairing
I found that changing the top cap by flipping it around makes the top cap to base plate gap more closer than the other side. This affects the blade alignment as well so I make sure to have it on the right way.. Kind of like the Merkur Progress except that there is no arrow.
Interesting....will have to pay attention.....so did you mark it now?

I bet shipping will determine your best option. Connaught shaving was OK for my 1st order despite covid, price and shipping were reasonable (I am in US). 2nd I got from Maggards in the US (same price) shipping was faster. The price for the razors was the same.

In my case, if I get it from connaught the shipping is £5 for a total of £25 after VAT deduction. That's for the razor alone and nothing else.

So today shaving was far smoother than the previous one, same Astra SP blade, second use, I only change the pre shave, I use the Proraso White, and change the cream from Proraso Red to Tabac soap. Beard growd of 48h, with 3 passes, results in a BBS.
I believe that is just a coincidence, probably is just a question of habit when using this combo, FOCS+Astra SP.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SS (5)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Cashmere
Soap: VDH Scented Luxury
Aftershave: VDH Post Shave Balm
042_42.jpg

I've just ended my week using VDH soap and balm. I'd like to say my last shave was the high point, but my shaves have been pretty much equally good all week. Next weeks line up will be my Fatip Lo Storto paired with an Astra SS. I was going to go 10 shaves on the Astra SS, but my blade collection is so huge why not swap once a week. It's not like I'll ever run out. For a soap, I'm going to shift gears and go with SV Stella Alpina with Pinaud Clubman Original for a splash. Happy shaves everyone!

Right so second shave with the FOCS on a two day beard.

This thing really is smooth!
I am using an astra SP as I normally do when testing DE razors.

One thing to note is feel I will have to take care with this razor if I wish to avoid irritation with my sensitive skin. I generally need to do this with all my more efficient &/or aggressive razors.
I can even get irritation from a Gillette tech to put things into perspective.

So this razor may turn out too much for me but I need a few shaves.
This razor may perfectly pair with a Rapira Swedish supersteel for my face so I will try that blade next.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My apologies if this has been asked before. I am thinking about getting a FOCS but have hesitations due to the reports of blade misalignment.

Are any of you able to load a blade without having to manually adjust the alignment?

And, can it approach a CG L3/iKon B1 Standard in terms of efficiency?

My apologies if this has been asked before. I am thinking about getting a FOCS but have hesitations due to the reports of blade misalignment.

Are any of you able to load a blade without having to manually adjust the alignment?

Most of us just load the blade and go and haven’t had any issues.

I can’t speak to the other razors as I don’t have those but I can say it’s smoother and more efficient than a 37c and another member likened it to his Wunderbar.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

I'm able to load a blade without having to manually adjust it but it's automatically set at slightly different blade exposure on each side. Still shaves great but I notice a slight difference in aggression between the two sides. I think mine is the outlier as others have not experienced this.

As for comparison, I haven't tried the other two but FOCS seems highly efficient for my skin.

I don't have to adjust.

I have no experience with the other razor your asking about sorry.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
$35? Seriously? Yer kidding right, it has to cost more than that! Baffles me. Cheap at twice the price. Literally.

I just finished my second shave with it and a fresh Gillette Yellow. The above is my mind trying to rationalize just how good that razor actually is.

I drop the blade on the cap, drop the base over it, screw the handle on, look at it, shrug and shave. Alignment looks fine to me. I even, today, tried to adjust the blade just to see if I could and held it in place by the tabs and tightened the handle down and it looked the same to me. Theres very little wiggle room around the pins, for either the blade or the base.

I cant feel any difference shaving with either side. A Gillette Yellow disappeared into the SV lather and I felt nothing. I'll need a few more shaves to really dial in my technique with it, I've never used a slant of any kind before, but it may end up not only kicking my Grande off the shelf but also my MMOC.

I izz impressed.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I just finished my second shave with it and a fresh Gillette Yellow. The above is my mind trying to rationalize just how good that razor actually is.

I drop the blade on the cap, drop the base over it, screw the handle on, look at it, shrug and shave. Alignment looks fine to me. I even, today, tried to adjust the blade just to see if I could and held it in place by the tabs and tightened the handle down and it looked the same to me. Theres very little wiggle room around the pins, for either the blade or the base.

I cant feel any difference shaving with either side. A Gillette Yellow disappeared into the SV lather and I felt nothing. I'll need a few more shaves to really dial in my technique with it, I've never used a slant of any kind before, but it may end up not only kicking my Grande off the shelf but also my MMOC.

I izz impressed.
Wow Mike!!! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more. I'm going to have to drop a Yellow in mine after this weeks Astra SS. It's cleaned up and loaded already. Wow Mike that's high, and promising, praise! :w00t:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow Mike!!! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more. I'm going to have to drop a Yellow in mine after this weeks Astra SS. It's cleaned up and loaded already. Wow Mike that's high, and promising, praise! :w00t:

Aint it though...

I'm working my way, cautiously, to Feather blades. In the end though, I already know. I'm just not ready to admit it!

Melancholic - "Feeling or expressing pensive sadness."

Yep, thats the word.

Top Bottom