My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Brush: Maggard 22mm Synth
Soap: VDH Scented Luxury
Aftershave: VDH Post Shave Balm
033_42.jpg

I'm back with my FOCS! It was a joy to use. It paired really well with Astra SS. This may be the best combination of razor and blade I've paired with the Lo Storto to date. It was simply the smoothest combination yet. I really missed my Lo Storto, and I don't think I'll be leaving it for awhile. It really is a case of absence making the heart grow fonder.

VDH Scented Luxury was really nice. In between passes I noted how slick my skin was. It was almost like it had a water proof coating. VDH used to have lanolin which behaves in that way. I was a bit concerned it wouldn't be as protective, and water proof, without the lanolin. I guess they used the right amount of glycerin along with maybe some chemical agents? My first impression, in the Dutch Vs Expat Dutch soaps is that the Dutch are in the lead with De Vergulde Hand, simply because I seem to have enjoyed it more than this first shave with VDH. That said I really can't fault VDH Scented Luxury's performance. Scented Luxury also does have a nice, if understated, milky-coconut scent with a hint of mango for sweetness. There is really nothing to write home about either soap. They are dirt cheap, pleasant enough, and are totally serviceable.

VDH Post Shave Soothing Balm lives up to its name. It may be a hidden gem as far as low cost post shave balms go. We'll see if it punches well above the price point as the week goes on.

I receive the FOCS today, the box cames with some damage, but what you guys think of the finish of the interior of the top cap?
Near the pins the welding and also that mark on the edge.
In the exterior of the top cap there is also a minor mark.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

In terms of blade alignment it seems ok, I loaded a Gillette Nacet.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't see what you're seeing (in the photos I don't see), but I'm not saying you're imagining things.

If it functions perfectly I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me.

These are quite inexpensive, handmade (I think), 100% real metal razors. The plating is pretty, but the brass is the substance of the razor. If the brass is fine...

We're not talking Wolfman or Timeless jewels here, but shaving tools. Fatips cost about half of what some zamac razors sell for.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I receive the FOCS today, the box cames with some damage, but what you guys think of the finish of the interior of the top cap?
Near the pins the welding and also that mark on the edge.
In the exterior of the top cap there is also a minor mark.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

In terms of blade alignment it seems ok, I loaded a Gillette Nacet.

proxy.php
proxy.php
The inside of the cap is where the contacts are placed for plating. They sometimes leave a mark like that. It's not uncommon on Fatips. I say it's about 50/50 looking at my own collection. It won't effect the durability of the plating. Chrome plating on brass is not done as thick as on zamak. A thick plating on brass will crack. The trade off is in the plating process where you sometimes get marks like that. It's a nice looking razor, the plating is solid where it matters, the blade aligns right off, and there is no circular screw post ring on top, enjoy!

P.S. the box being a bit crumpled sucks. I store all my Fatips, when not in use or display, in their original boxes.

Last edited:
I don't see what you're seeing (in the photos I don't see), but I'm not saying you're imagining things.

If it functions perfectly I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me.

These are quite inexpensive, handmade (I think), 100% real metal razors. The plating is pretty, but the brass is the substance of the razor. If the brass is fine...

We're not talking Wolfman or Timeless jewels here, but shaving tools. Fatips cost about half of what some zamac razors sell for.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's difficult to catch it on the photo, but I think that if you zoom it, it's visible around the top cap pins, and also in one of the sides in the edge.

The inside of the cap is where the contacts are placed for plating. They sometimes leave a mark like that. It's not uncommon on Fatips. I say it's about 50/50 looking at my own collection. It won't effect the durability of the plating. Chrome plating on brass is not done as thick as on zamak. A thick plating on brass will crack. The trade off is in the plating process where you sometimes get marks like that. It's a nice looking razor, the plating is solid where it matters, the blade aligns right off, and there is no circular screw post ring on top, enjoy!

P.S. the box being a bit crumpled sucks. I store all my Fatips, when not in use or display, in their original boxes.

Thanks for the explanation, if it doesn't affect in long term, I think i will keep it.

I will test the FOCS today.

Well guys first use with the FOCS that results in a fantastic BBS, very very good shaving [emoji106]

Let me describe the SOT.

Pre Shave: Proraso White
Soap: Ach Brito Mogno
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor: FOCS
Blade: Gillette Nacet (#6)
Post Shave: Thayers Lavanda + ASB Cella

I never tried a Slant, not even a OC, I have a Rockwell 6C, Edwin Jagger DE89, Qshave, Yaqi CC and a Weishi 9306.
My first impressions with the FOCS is that it is smooth and efficient, for me is, at least the first impressions, is that is more efficient than Rockwell 6C even with plate 6, and very smooth, I have to confirm this in the upcoming shaves. I was a little apreensive when bought it, since it was my first OC/Slant but no need to worry, it's very smooth and efficient.

Like a said it was a very smooth shaving, only a little wheeper, my fault too much pressure [emoji4], no irritations or razor burn, 3 passes, WTG + XTG + ATG, with a beard growth of 48h, that results in a perfect BBS, for the first use this was awesome, never achieved this with none of the other razors that I have, and it was the 6 use of this blade. By the way the Gillette Nacet is an excellent blade, everyone should try it.

Thanks for all you guys that help me with your opinions about this fantastic Safety Razor [emoji106]

Last edited:
I suspect that everybody's FOCS/FCCS has pins that look like that. Here's a photo of the underside of my FOCS' cap:

proxy.php

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had a lot of trouble getting the baseplate's holes lined up with the pins. Well, I'm still having a lot of trouble. Folks were saying that skewed pins are normal, but I think that mine might be just a bit more skewed than anybody else's.

Regardless, I've been using it almost exclusively for about 5 weeks and it's definitely my #1 razor right now. Blade alignment and gap are perfect, so I have no interest in getting it replaced.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I suspect that everybody's FOCS/FCCS has pins that look like that. Here's a photo of the underside of my FOCS' cap:

proxy.php

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had a lot of trouble getting the baseplate's holes lined up with the pins. Well, I'm still having a lot of trouble. Folks were saying that skewed pins are normal, but I think that mine might be just a bit more skewed than anybody else's.

Regardless, I've been using it almost exclusively for about 5 weeks and it's definitely my #1 razor right now. Blade alignment and gap are perfect, so I have no interest in getting it replaced.
I, for one, don't think skewed pins are normal. Cal's first Lo Storto had a skewed pin and it eventually came off. He then bought a replacement. The pins are fine on that one. It's something to be aware of for sure, but as long as it's working it may last a hundred years. My 1980's Fatip is the only Fatip I own with skewed pins and is totally fine.

1980's Fatip with skewed pins. It's a twelve comb instead of the eleven like the Mk1 and Mk2:
rsz_011 (3).jpg

^^^Before clean up^^^ Fresh out of the mail from an Italian estate sale^^^
018_22.jpg

^^^After clean up, which is a testament for how well the plating holds up^^^

Last edited:
In my case the pins lined up ok with the baseplate, no problems there.

One doubt when using a slant, it's ok to use the same blade on a Slant/FOCS and also on the others/"normal" Safety Razors?

Well it looks like I'll be keeping my FOCS after all. After a couple of bad experiences trying to use The BST section of the forum, I gave up and decided to try to find a longer handle for it.Taking the advice of a fellow member I put in a bid and won an auction for a Durham Duplex DE razor that is supposed to have the same threads as the FOCS. It's an interesting handle and I like the looks of it. If it turns out to fit and is long and heavy enough, I'm sure to join the ranks of all the happy fatip users here. The razor worked great for me other than the ridiculously short handle.

Well it looks like I'll be keeping my FOCS after all. After a couple of bad experiences trying to use The BST section of the forum, I gave up and decided to try to find a longer handle for it.Taking the advice of a fellow member I put in a bid and won an auction for a Durham Duplex DE razor that is supposed to have the same threads as the FOCS. It's an interesting handle and I like the looks of it. If it turns out to fit and is long and heavy enough, I'm sure to join the ranks of all the happy fatip users here. The razor worked great for me other than the ridiculously short handle.

If you mean the Durham DuBarry handle, it's definitely heavy enough. It's solid brass. I have one, which I used to have attached to a Fendrihan Kingston head I used a few times. The handle will tighten on the FOCS head, because I just tried it and it worked fine.

I used my Gentile today. It’s up currently in my slant rotation. It was on 2 days growth due to having a work schedule change this week. I was really surprised how well it cut it everything due to how mild the razor is.

I did my normal 3 pass shave and had a DFS++. My normal trouble spots where the only issues age I just left them alone. I didn’t want to do too much buffing and possibly have irritation.

I know the FOCS would’ve yielded my normal BBS but I was more than satisfied.

Why didn’t I discover Fatips sooner? I could’ve saved a bunch of money by switching to Fatip sooner. [emoji2357]

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Does changing the top cap make a difference on this since it fits the base plate both ways?
Do you mean turning the cap around on the Lo Storto? The answer is yes it works both ways on the baseplate. Do you mean taking a cap from another Lo Storto and using it? If so, that's anybody's guess? It does work on regular Fatips. It may, or may not, on the Lo Storto? They are all hand made. It depends on if the bend is uniform in all their slants? Fatip has never been known to be a company that has limited themselves to the constraints of uniformity. Are you going to give it a go? I'd like to know, for science. :001_smile

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Astra SS (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: VDH Scented Luxury
Aftershave: VDH Post Shave Balm
038_42.jpg

I've settled into this line up quite nicely. The sad part is there are only two more shaves to go this week. My shave with VDH was enjoyable. It's easy to load, slick, and it doesn't leave any residue on my razor. The post shave feel is pretty good as well. It's safe to say it has pretty much equaled out with De Vergulde Hand. De Verguld Hand does have a much better scent though. I'm also feeling more at home with VDH Post Shave Balm. I'm a splash guy, so it took some time to get used to a lotion. It works very well as a balm should be intended to do. It does, however, have the scent of wet cardboard. That's only for a second. It goes right away. The main thing is, from my first shave up to today, my shaves have been fantastic using VDH.

Top Bottom