What's new

Fatip Gentile.Yay or Nay?

A question for the cognoscenti...

I have been using a Muehle R89 and my technique is good enough to pull off blood-free shaves with it that leave zero irritation and BBS every time.

I have recently added an ATT-M1 and while it is more efficient, it also requires more attention to the angle than the R89 which is automatic at this point.

If you have used either of these razors...how does the Fatip Gentile compare to these? Similarly mild? Much more aggressive?

I have 1 Zamak, 1 Stainless and this would be my Brass razor...but should I stay away from it? Or is it smooth and efficient?

Thanks in advance.

I own a Fatip Gentile and have shaved with it once. I found it to be a mild razor that needed attention to find the right shaving angle. I also own an Edwin Jagger DE86 which I believe has a similar if not the same head as the Muhle R89 (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and found it also to be a mild shaver although more forgiving of angle.

Thanks Spang. Reading your review...how hard us it to get the blade aligned correctly?

On mine, it's not that hard. I have, however, read differing accounts; some say their razor is perfect every time, others have deemed their particular examples unacceptable in terms of alignment accuracy. So, I think it may vary a bit, razor to razor. My example is decent, at least. It's not completely automatic, so you need to pay some attention as you tighten it up, and then eyeball it to make sure there aren't any big issues. But I find it totally acceptable by my standard. Occasionally, it requires a bit of fiddling, but it's a minor annoyance that I'm willing to deal with for the quality of the shave, which is excellent for me. Honestly, many (if not most) DEs that rely on posts for alignment are susceptible to some inaccuracies, but I don't think the Testina (at least mine) is bad at all in that regard.

I say a huge YAY!! for the comfort and efficiency. Truly a great razor. However, mine is such a bugger to align that I put it away the last couple weeks, though I may bring it back out? Everytime I get it right, the last turn of the handle throws it out of whack. If you don't use a blade for a week or more at a time, probably not the best option for the nerves.

Another thing, though I don't really mind that much, is by the second shave the finish was wearing right off. Kind of adds character, but it does seem like something that shouldn't happen to something someone pays good money for.

After just three weeks of shaving:

$IMG_20170205_064908.jpg

I say a huge YAY!! for the comfort and efficiency. Truly a great razor. However, mine is such a bugger to align that I put it away the last couple weeks, though I may bring it back out? Everytime I get it right, the last turn of the handle throws it out of whack. If you don't use a blade for a week or more at a time, probably not the best option for the nerves.

Another thing, though I don't really mind that much, is by the second shave the finish was wearing right off. Kind of adds character, but it does seem like something that shouldn't happen to something someone pays good money for.

After just three weeks of shaving:

View attachment 721813

Wow. That is insane. Did you buy that NEW from a reputable dealer? I mean...that looks like you dragged it over your driveway...anyone else have the same issues? I had read the QC on more recent production was much better, but this puts that in question, I guess.

On mine, it's not that hard. I have, however, read differing accounts; some say their razor is perfect every time, others have deemed their particular examples unacceptable in terms of alignment accuracy. So, I think it may vary a bit, razor to razor. My example is decent, at least. It's not completely automatic, so you need to pay some attention as you tighten it up, and then eyeball it to make sure there aren't any big issues. But I find it totally acceptable by my standard. Occasionally, it requires a bit of fiddling, but it's a minor annoyance that I'm willing to deal with for the quality of the shave, which is excellent for me. Honestly, many (if not most) DEs that rely on posts for alignment are susceptible to some inaccuracies, but I don't think the Testina (at least mine) is bad at all in that regard.

Thanks Spang. Have you noticed problems with the plating/finish like Cash?

Not a Gentile, but here's a couple pics of the finish on my Fatip Grande in gunmetal. Just about all worn off now. I don't mind it all though as it's a fine shaver. Minimal alignment issues. Pretty much use it every morning.

$grande-3.jpg$grande-4.jpg

Not a Gentile, but here's a couple pics of the finish on my Fatip Grande in gunmetal. Just about all worn off now. I don't mind it all though as it's a fine shaver. Minimal alignment issues. Pretty much use it every morning.

View attachment 721857View attachment 721858

Given the issues with finishes, I assume it may be best to order the Chrome version or even the wood handle given the wood won't lose its finish...

With Fatip razors, I found the nickel or the gold to be the best. I have seen problems with the other plating. I have used my gold Grande and my nickel Piccolo quite a bit and they still look flawless.

$Chubby_Fatip.jpg $Piccolo_3.jpg

Last edited:
And now I found the Chrome version for dirt cheap....probably makes sense to go that route before I spend $50 on the olive wood one...

So I bought the Chrome version...18GBP shipped to the US....That should give me an inexpensive idea of how this tool will do.

Thanks Spang. Have you noticed problems with the plating/finish like Cash?

No issues here. Mine's the chrome finish, very well done and, so far, no wear or durability problems. I see you've got one on the way, so let us know how it shaves for you.

The more I use my Gentile, the more I love it. It's gotten a lot of use from me recently. It's efficient but smooth, a lot less blade feel than the Fatip open comb heads. I hope you like yours too. I got mine with a wooden handle (wenge).

Top Bottom