What's new

Fatip alternative?

lasta

Blade Biter
Hey guys,

I'm usually not obsessive compulsive, but the Fatip Piccolo makes me want to can a a therapist...

I love how smooth and effortless it glides across my face and mildness despite being able to cut so close.

But aligning a blade is like trying to do a headstand on a tightrope! Way too much play between the blade and pins AND the pins and baseplate.

Anything comes close in the sense of rounded open comb + thin head?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hmmm, I like this post. I bought a Fatip Piccolo, and I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't taken it out of the box yet.....at least I don't think I have...I'm just getting over a raging case of RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder). Anyway, you've inspired me to get the razor out and give it a try. I'll come back and give my two-cents when I do.

I know the Piccolo has a real following, so I'm looking forward to folks weighing in with their experiences -- and other suggestions!

lasta

Blade Biter
While we are at it, anyone try Yaqi/Dscosmetic heads with fatip baseplates? Is there a compatible one with the right curvature/width?

Thanks!

You could also try the Fatip Open Comb Slant aka FOCS
The build quality is ok and reports about misalignments are not zero but rather rare. Due to the slant the head is naturally bulkier than the piccolo…

I do have piccolos, grandes and some FOCS and prefer the latter one.
092841AB-00E7-4B8A-AC24-AA3969AE1542.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
You could also try the Fatip Open Comb Slant aka FOCS. The build quality is ok and reports about misalignments are not zero but rather rare.

Completely agree with this. I'm just getting acquainted with the FOCS and find it to be a pretty good razor for the very reasonable price. Further information as it develops, in the "Tilted Picnic Slant Circus, Year 2" thread...

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a bunch (>10) of Fatip, Plisson Joris, Schöne and Roedter razors. It is rare when I have to manually align the blade and, when I do, it takes 5-10 seconds max.

The shave I get from these very reasonably priced razors is worth a few seconds of my time on those rare occasions that there is a blade alignment issue. :cool:

I wonder how the new Razorock BBS OC would compare? It looks like it puts a good bend on the blade like a Fatip.

The Razorock BBS OC and PAA DOC Ascension (aluminum, stainless and copper) all have very bent blades. I haven't had enough shaves with the BBS OC to come to any conclusions however the DOC is to me better than either of my Fatip razors (nickel grande early mk2, black Gentile and new piccolo special edition). Still love the old world charm of Fatip and will always love them.

Currently getting more familiar with the .68 Jaws and BBS OC...

what's the fatip range exactly? I got the grande open comb and the lo storto open comb slant, what else could I add? Honestly can't think of a better razor £ for £, best value for money tbh imo

Was thinking the closed comb gentile? What else?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
what's the fatip range exactly?

Regular cap, slant cap. Regular safety bar or open comb. Slant safety bar or open comb. Plating in chrome or gold for the slant and chrome, gold, nickel, and black for the regular. Mix and/or match handles to content of heart or budget.

what's the fatip range exactly? I got the grande open comb and the lo storto open comb slant, what else could I add? Honestly can't think of a better razor £ for £, best value for money tbh imo

Was thinking the closed comb gentile? What else?
As far as I can tell, there are two heads: open comb "original," and closed comb "gentile." The rest is which handle you prefer. Much like Muhle before the Rocca and GS, there is the DE89 straight bar and the R41 "open comb." The rest is all handle choices.

Reactions: saj
I have a Schone OC razor( mfg by Fatip) and it too has sporadic minor blade misalignment issues. I believe a frequent cause of this on Fatip razors is that the Fatip top cap pins are a much smaller diameter then the Fatip base plate holes(other members have pointed this out too) which allows quite a bit of blade movement prior to tightening everything up. One easy solution that works well for me is to use a top cap from an EJ DE89(or clone) which has larger diameter pins. With this setup the blade aligns perfectly every time since the blade is held much more snugly and there is no side to side play. The blade seems to clamp as well as with the Fatip top cap and the razor seems to shave the same. Another advantage is that most razor handles can now be used too since the EJ 89(or clone) threading is compatible with most handles. EJ DE89 clone razor heads can often be purchased for under $6.

Here are some pictures with the EJ DE89 head, Schone(mfg by Fatip) OC base plate and RR HD handle.

20210305_143731.jpg 20210305_142442.jpg 20210305_142505.jpg

Regular cap, slant cap. Regular safety bar or open comb. Slant safety bar or open comb. Plating in chrome or gold for the slant and chrome, gold, nickel, and black for the regular. Mix and/or match handles to content of heart or budget.
You got any fatip razors? If so, how does the closed comb compare to oc? I assume not as aggressive or efficent

As far as I can tell, there are two heads: open comb "original," and closed comb "gentile." The rest is which handle you prefer. Much like Muhle before the Rocca and GS, there is the DE89 straight bar and the R41 "open comb." The rest is all handle choices.
Yea with the two I've got like @Cal mentions in the other thread and like you say apart from handles not sure how I'll benefit?

I have a Schone OC razor( mfg by Fatip) and it too has sporadic minor blade misalignment issues. I believe a frequent cause of this on Fatip razors is that the Fatip top cap pins are a much smaller diameter then the Fatip base plate holes(other members have pointed this out too) which allows quite a bit of blade movement prior to tightening everything up. One easy solution that works well for me is to use a top cap from an EJ DE89(or clone) which has larger diameter pins. With this setup the blade aligns perfectly every time since the blade is held much more snugly and there is no side to side play. The blade seems to clamp as well as with the Fatip top cap and the razor seems to shave the same. Another advantage is that most razor handles can now be used too since the EJ 89(or clone) threading is compatible with most handles. EJ DE89 clone razor heads can often be purchased for under $6.

Here are some pictures with the EJ DE89 head, Schone(mfg by Fatip) OC base plate and RR HD handle.

20210305_143731.jpg 20210305_142442.jpg 20210305_142505.jpg
Is the gentile more or less aggressive and efficient as the fatip oc grande or is it the same sort of boat?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You got any fatip razors?

I have a Fatip Grande in nickel plating. No idea how the safety bar plate feels/shaves. Since my best shaves are when the razor is used extremely shallow, I’d imagine they’d act almost identically.

Top Bottom