What's new

fans of CBL

I agree totally with your review. I prefer slick to fluffy.

Interestingly, the soap that is currently in my den whose lather most closely resembles this soap's lather is actually RazoRock's What the Puck?

I've never used RazoRock so thanks for the thoughts.

Also I just checked their site ans Roasted Oatmeal Stout is returning December 1st.

proxy.php

Just in time for Christmas!!

the post-shave was actually better than I expected. Nice, soft, smooth skin. No feeling of greasiness, no feeling that it's hard to rinse off at all.

I didn't have time this morning to do a side-by-side comparison with vintage Williams, but I hope to be able to do that shave on Thursday morning.

That struck me too after using it again today -- third shave in a row, I sense a "3017" or next thing to it.

I am keen to hear your comparison to vintage Williams, the inspiration.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I get super slick, dense and creamy lather from applying it like a stick rather than loading the brush.

Recently Chris at CBL Soaps contacted me, as he had heard that I had used up my unscented tub of CBL Premium soap, and he graciously offered to send me a tub of the new formula's unscented version called Granite. I accepted his very generous offer, and the tub of Granite has now seen several uses. WOW! This stuff is better than the previous version. I kept adding water the other day, seeing if it would "break" but it just got better and better. It is a dark gray in color, which alarmed me at first, and very soft, almost like Simpsons shave cream. But given how good the lather is, I would be fine shaving with dark lather!! (My wife may wonder what the heck I had on my face!). However, the lather is off-white, so no visual weirdness there!

This is a wonderful addition to my other 3 unscented soaps, and I look forward to buying a puck of the unscented tonsorial when it is available.

I am really enjoying Tonsorial. I just dropped a line to CBL through the company website to that effect.
The face feel! Man, these are good shaves.

Arrrg! At least another day of D. R. Harris Marlborough before getting to try CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout. I've never wanted such a great soap to be gone so bad.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Just finished my Roasted Oatmeal Stout yesterday snd moved on to SIR Fougere. My oh my, two very wonderful but different scents.

My D.R.Harris is finally gone! On deck for tomorrow is 'Roasted Oatmeal Stout'. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The scent upon unwrapping it was not nearly as strong as I expected after being able to smell it so strongly before unwrapping it.

So, I won a generous pif from @TheVez2 about 2 weeks ago. Last Friday I received the spoils of that victory in the form of a new puck of CBL "Money" scented beta edition tonsorial soap. TheVez2 asked that in return for the favor, I report on what I thought of it here on the forum.

Before I received this soap, I read on here that it was supposed to be similar to vintage Williams tonsorial. When I first started out shaving in the 1990's, Williams coupled with my dad's hand-me-down nylon shaving brush and a Mach3 was my set up. Honestly, it is hard for me to recall exactly how the Williams performed way back when, but I will say my routine was much different.

Nevertheless, I dropped the CBL into a MWF bowl and went to town. I have been using the CBL for the past week, and must say, that it is quality soap. The CBL takes a fair amount of effort to lather to the way I prefer. However, in all honesty, I have been using Martin de Candre original for the past few months, and have probably gotten a bit spoiled by the minimal amount of time it takes to lather.

My normal routine with almost any soap is to lather straight from the puck, and then go to my face to face lather. The method I have found that works best with CBL is to start with a pretty wet brush and go to work on the puck for 30 seconds or so, rewet the brush, and then lather for another 10-20 seconds. At this point, I go to the face and get a really nice, slick lather that provides a great shave. In my past week of shaving with it (every morning) I have had no knicks, cuts, or other problems whatsoever. I really like this soap.

As for the scent of "Money", I must say it is a minimal, neutral soap smell imho. In addition, post shave, it rinsed of easy, and left me with a nice face feel.

Thanks for the opprotunity @TheVez2

Top Bottom