What's new

Fabriano EcoQua notepads

For literally decades I've used legal pads, although I had moved from the full sized to junior ones. Paper quality for fountain pen use of these style pads ranges from poor to what can best be said as reasonable.

The only experience I've had with quality paper was some stuff my resume was printed on way way back when and some Clairfontaine 100gsm paper in an Exacompta refillable journal notebook obtained when I retired over a decade ago. Diaries and journals have never been my "thing" so they didn't see any substantive use.

Well recently my curiosity got to me resulting in my ordering one each A5 Rhodia No16 and Fabriano EcoQua dot style notepads. These like my junior legal pads allow each sheet used to be torn off which as said is my preference as opposed to journals. You may find some online reviews written by folks who thought the gluebound EcoQua offerings were journal styled notebooks. Frankly Fabriano screwed up calling them that instead of notepads. Accordingly there are lots of disappointed folks lamenting the fact that the sheets tear off so easily. Fabriano does have spiral and stapled A5 notebooks in their EcoQua series though for those who prefer.

The Rhodia is obviously the most well known of the two I bought and is often touted as a benchmark of sorts for fountain pen users. It has 80 pages of 80gsm paper with 5mm dot spacing whereas the EcoQua has 90 sheets of 85gsm 4mm dot spaced paper. Since the EcoQua is glue bound on the left margin as opposed to the Rhodia's top tear pad binding, the usable size of the pages is larger with the Fabriano. Both are high quality. But I found myself preferring the EcoQua for the subdued dots, their spacing, and the feel of my nibs on the paper. Even with very wet wide nibs like my Pelikan M1000 OBB and Italix extra broad oblique italic there was no bleed through with the EcoQua paper. Great stuff!

Then I spotted a deal at DickBlick where these with two particular colored covers were priced at a sale/clearance that was less than a quarter of what I had paid for my first pad. I promptly ordered 20 more. :)

Bottom line here is that they are a great highly recommended alternative to the benchmark Rhodia and at the ridiculous sale price of $1.49 each plus shipping they are a fantastic buy for those who prefer quality notepads!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks, for the rundown, Bob! I might have to look into buying a pad or two just to check it out. :thumbup:

I know you said that you weren't into notebooks, but consider looking into buying some pocket-sized notebooks for sampling different paper. Goulet Pens sell a Notebook Sampler Package Set which is a nice way to try a few different types of paper without breaking the bank.

So, after looking for A5 sized notebooks and being disappointed at the prices on Amazon, I went to the Blick Art Materials page and saw the blue color Fabricos are still $1.49. Because $10 is what Amazon was quoting for various notebooks, I got ten of these. Will report back :)

Aristeros,
As long as you understand these aren't notebooks in the classic sense but notepads I'm sure you'll love them for their paper. I had ordered 10 each wine and blue dotpads.:)

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks so much on the heads up on these. I had never used this brand, but knew the good gentlemen of B&B wouldn't steer me wrong! For the price I ordered 10! Arrived today, and I couldn't be more pleased. Because they are side bound they even fit in the leather notebook covers I have.

*sigh (pulls credit card from wallet)

ROTFLMAO! Hoping the $1.49 deal is still available at Dick Blick for you Erik!

{Just checked...they are :) }

strop said:
Thanks so much on the heads up on these. I had never used this brand, but knew the good gentlemen of B&B wouldn't steer me wrong! For the price I ordered 10! Arrived today, and I couldn't be more pleased. Because they are side bound they even fit in the leather notebook covers I have.

Glad to hear this Mark. Curious, what leather notebook covers are you using that fit? My decade old Exacompta Basics leather covers are too small as they are just off A5 sizing at 5.5" x 8.25" vice the standard A5 of 5.8" x 8.3".

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
:lol: It was. I only picked up three of the blue and three of the wine. I was about to get 5 of each, but I started thinking about the fact that I have at least a dozen notebooks sitting around here that I haven't written in yet.

strop

Now half as wise
I have one I got from Levenger many years ago, and Franklin -Cristophe B&B binder both work. The notebooks that come with the FC are a little thicker, but these still work. It will mostly just live on my desk anyway.
I should add, these were the smaller size. Haven't tried to find anything for the larger ones yet.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I just got done talking with my mom, whose a painter, and I happened to mention ordering from Dick Blick. It turns out that it's where she gets a lot of her supplies from. I could have gotten even more of a discount if I would have ordered through her account! I might have to pick up a few more if they turn out to be decent.

Erik, You won't be disappointed I'm sure. There are more than decent but again not notebooks but notepads! LOL

I have one I got from Levenger many years ago, and Franklin -Cristophe B&B binder both work.

Thanks Mark for the quick reply. I have leather padfolios for my 5x8 junior legal pads in addition to the old Exacompta refillable leather notebook covers. Sadly neither works for the Ecoqua notepads but I don't feel it is any big deal as mine too lives on my desk and the rather decent covers for the Fabriano A5 pads works well enough. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Erik, You won't be disappointed I'm sure. There are more than decent but again not notebooks but notepads! LOL

That's the main reason why I ordered them. I'm a jotter and a list maker, so I wanted a notepad that I can remove the leaflets from so that I didn't have to use up my stationery paper when I wanted to take only a single sheet. :thumbup:

"jotter and list maker" couldn't do any better to describe me either which is why the junior legal pads have been my go to for so many decades! The Ecoqua notepads are a huge step up in quality.

Just checked. Blue covers are sold out and only about a dozen of the wine covered A5 glue bound notepads are left at the $1.49 price.

Top Bottom