What's new

Dot grid question

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Up until now, I've only ever used lined paper and notebooks. But there I was in Michael's, when I stumbled upon a handful of Rhodia notepads. I thought, "hey, I've heard about this stuff. Its supposed to be super good for fountain pens." So I bought a pad, one with a dot grid pattern to see what it was all about. I've been writing on the Rhodia notepad and find it quite nice. The paper is excellent. However, the dot grid is really frustrating me. I like the idea well enough. But the grids are smaller than most regular line ruling, so I'm forced to either write uncomfortably small to squeeze my writing into a single line or uncomfortably big to use two lines. Are dot grids on other brands' pads available in variable sizes or is the Rhodia one pretty much par for the course?

I have similar issues with the dot grid format. I have so use a fine or extra fine nib on those in order to fit in the grid. All the dot grid examples I have had use the same 5mm ruling for the grid, sadly.

tankerjohn

Thanks @Shave_Rat . That’s kind of what I figured. Too bad. I like the concept of the dots, sort of minimalist structure. F nibs are fine at work, but at home I want to see thick ribbons of ink on the page. So maybe dot grids aren’t for me. All part of the learning process I suppose.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The dots are just for reference, you don't necessarily need to go between. I write my normal way, I go maybe two or one and a half, just treating it like a blank sheet with dots to keep me going straight. Same with the grid but the dots are lighter if I remember. Currently using a Daiso "Smart Working" dot memopad No.43, very light dots.

I have only seen dot grid in 5mm format. I write pretty small so they work really well for me and is my favorite format. I was listening to the pen addict podcast yesterday and they mentioned blank slate paper which is a website where you can customize a notboono however you want it. I have never tried it but it sounds like a cool concept

tankerjohn

@rockviper Yes sir, that is the correct answer! Eventually I'll get there. You enabler, you.

@nemo Yeah, I know, but it screws with my head to not reference the dots like a line to get my letters the correct size and such. But I'll try what you suggested. Maybe I just need to get used to the dot format.

@kcore Very cool. I'll look into that. Sounds expensive, though.

For me, it really depends on what I am using the notebook/journal for. If it's more like a diary/journal, I can't use the dot grid format. For more like note taking, or bullet journal kind of stuff, I can go with dot grid and semi ignore the grid for more than just keeping things lined up.

I use the dot paper all the time at work. The great item about dot paper is when you make a copy, no dots! So everyone thinks I write in a perfect line every time.

The dots for me at least is a base line and I write in my normal height.

There are pdf's of lined paper that you can print out. Find one that has dark lines, print it out and place it under the dotted paper and use the lines as a reference when you write. Assuming it is dark enough to see through the page.

There are pdf's of lined paper that you can print out. Find one that has dark lines, print it out and place it under the dotted paper and use the lines as a reference when you write. Assuming it is dark enough to see through the page.
I do this with blank notebooks. No reason not to do it with a dot grid I guess, but then I have to ask why buy a dot grid?

I like the Rhodia dot grids for note taking and bullet journaling. Especially when you have a 20 percent off coupon for Michael's. :)

I like the Rhodia dot grids for note taking and bullet journaling. Especially when you have a 20 percent off coupon for Michael's. :)

I was unaware that Michaels carried Rhodia Paper... I was just in there a couple weeks ago and picked up a pack of cheap watercolor brushes and a pack of three Sakura Paint Brush Pens that were on sale. Back on topic, my Bullet Journal has dot grid and most Bullet Journalist use this format. I, like many use the dots for reference and they are great for drawing lines, there is a lot of drawing in Bullet Journaling.

I was unaware that Michaels carried Rhodia Paper... I was just in there a couple weeks ago and picked up a pack of cheap watercolor brushes and a pack of three Sakura Paint Brush Pens that were on sale. Back on topic, my Bullet Journal has dot grid and most Bullet Journalist use this format. I, like many use the dots for reference and they are great for drawing lines, there is a lot of drawing in Bullet Journaling.

That's awesome. I found myself using the dots to help me write more inline than anything else. So when I go to unlined paper, I can really see the difference. As for Michael's, they do offer different Rhodia pads and some spiral note pads as well. I like being able to use the coupons because it makes it pretty cheap. Go with someone else and let them use a coupon on another for you. You almost get two for the price of one. LOL!! :)

I've always wished for notebooks with lines that are thinner and fainter than usual.
I suppose I could just use an unlined one, and put a lined sheet under the paper.

The dot grid books are fantastic when helping 12 yo with Algebra homework, at least. I keep a few around for just that purpose.

Top Bottom