What's new

Fountain Pen Ink & Paper Combo for Longevity

I'm extremely new to fountain pens. I recently bought a Pilot Metropolitan and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green ink. That's it; that's all. However, I'm interested in getting another pen for home use (the Pilot is what I carry with me for work). I thought I'd get a decent-quality pad & ink combo that would allow for a semi-long lifespan (ie. decades, not centuries). I imagine I'd go with a black ink, unless there's some awesome blue ink that does something special that no black ink on the market can do. Also, I'd prefer a lined, top-stapled notepad, but I'm flexible in this area as the quality of the paper is more important. Initially, I thought I'd just go with Noodler's Black and a Rhodia No. 18, but I've heard Rhodia paper may not be great for fountain pens. Noodler's has a few other of their "bulletproof" inks (Heart of Darkness, X-Feather) that should work, too. I've also read good things about Tomoe River paper. Any suggestions for something that would meet my needs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Rhodia, Crane, Strathmore and Clairefontaine are pretty durable papers. As far as ink longevity, those who need to retain important documents for posterity use registrars ink. I’ve used this ink. It’s a little dry but looks beautiful and it has pleasant shading. Also unlike some noodlers inks, the lines remain tight and don’t spread. Iron gall inks are water and fade resistant and have been used for important documents since the Middle Ages. The only thing about this type of ink you should know is flushing your pen out every month or two for routine maintenance.

Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink Blue-Black With Iron-Gall

Last edited:
Don't know what you have heard about Rhodia not being FP friendly as in my experience it is one of the best out there in that regard. A lot depends on how you are going to use things. Tomoe River is a great paper as well, but I have never seen it in a top stapled format. Usually loose sheets or a normal notebook.

As for ink, a nice blue black. I like Pelikan 4001 Blue Black. It is a dry ink, and may have iron gall properties. Pelikan doesn't import it into US anymore, but you can still get it by buying from UK based or other vendors. KWZI makes a rainbow of iron gall inks. A bit wetter than most IG inks too. Whether you use a Noodler's bulletproof ink or an iron gall ink, they will require more frequent flushing than dye based inks. Say every few fills. Diamine Blue Black is a good ink for your stated use. There are many others as well. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

...I thought I'd get a decent-quality pad & ink combo that would allow for a semi-long lifespan (ie. decades, not centuries)...

Going by that standard, I wouldn't really worry about the longevity of any normal papers. As for fountain pen friendliness, I've used Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Apica, Life Noble, Kokuyo, and others without problems. I had a couple of Tomoe River journals, and they were nice, but after finishing them, I decided it wasn't worth the price to buy them again.

For inks, Pilot/Namiki Blue and Blue-Black are my everyday favorites. Decent water resistance. Will they fade after decades? I haven't been using them for decades, but I'm willing to take the chance. I've tried a couple of iron gall inks from Montblanc and Rohrer and Klinger, but found them dry writing and didn't care for the colors. The Montblanc was an older version of Midnight blue which just looks like a washed out black to me; the R&K was "Scabiosa", a dull and uninspiring purple. Platinum has some carbon inks in black, blue, and red which are quite permanent, but may clog a pen if you don't change or flush them frequently. I've tried them, but haven't made them a habit. Noodler's bulletproof inks are a possibility. I've had second thoughts about those since emptying a couple of their bottles and seeing the sludge that they left behind. Still, something like Bad Blue Heron seems relatively benign. And they have a variety of blacks, if that's what you like.

Thanks.

Registrar's ink is probably beyond what I'd need. I just want something that won't run (if water gets on it accidentally) or fade on decent-quality paper.

The comment about Rhodia not being "fountain-pen friendly" was from a Reddit discussion, and was apparently quoting the proprietor of Noodler's. I have no first-hand knowledge.

I saw the Platinum carbon ink today at one store. The guy told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as I use the pen every two or three days. I think that may be more trouble than it's worth for me, so I may back off and go for something a little more user-friendly than that.

Thanks.

Registrar's ink is probably beyond what I'd need. I just want something that won't run (if water gets on it accidentally) or fade on decent-quality paper.

The comment about Rhodia not being "fountain-pen friendly" was from a Reddit discussion, and was apparently quoting the proprietor of Noodler's. I have no first-hand knowledge.

I saw the Platinum carbon ink today at one store. The guy told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as I use the pen every two or three days. I think that may be more trouble than it's worth for me, so I may back off and go for something a little more user-friendly than that.
If you just want a good water resistant low maintenance ink then pilot blue or pilot blue black would fit the bill nicely as mentioned above

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Initially, I thought I'd just go with Noodler's Black ... Noodler's has a few other of their "bulletproof" inks (Heart of Darkness, X-Feather) that should work, too.

I'd stay away from X-feather as it will be a very very "dry" ink and Heart of Darkness works really well and is very well behaved.

The Noodler's "black" or HOD will fit the bill really well. Registrar's ink (or any iron gall ink) will also fit the bill, but then you are getting into different colours which may or may not interest you.

I'm a big fan of Noodler's Kung Te-cheng, which is a bluey-purple sort of colour.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
DE Atramentis has "Document Ink," which has archival qualities to it. I have black, which I haven't used yet. I've tried DE Atramentis Document Green, and thought that it was a very nice, well-behaving ink.

Sailor makes a nice archival ink with the Sei Boku and Kiwa Guro offerings. Rohrer & Klingner’s Dokumentus line is also quite nice.
I’d go with a Rhodia pad for the paper. Cheers.

I ended up with a Gazing Far tm2 pen, Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink, and a Rhodia No. 18 pad (90gsm, ivory paper). Thanks for everyone's input.

I concur with the paper selections noted above, I use Rhodia, Clarefontaine, and Tomoe River. Each depending on the use of the paper. A5 is my preferred size but I love those little tablets for jotting grocery list and notes. Dots instead of lines are even more fun.

Inks I use are in my opinion to be fun. Try different colors and brands. My favorite blue is Montblanc BMW blue, which is only available at you guessed it, BMW dealers or online from them. Bungubox which is available from several online sources has several colors but the Sapphire Blue is my color of choice. (Disclosure - I am somewhat limited to using blues because of my Mother's eyesight during these past two years.)

In the past I would fill my pen up with greens, reds, blues, or whatever color caught my fancy. When I signed my Mother in for her Physical Therapy the nurses would always look at the sign-in sheet to see what neat colors I was using. Broke up the blacks and blues that every one else used. No doubt you knew who I was. Hence the above blues I mentioned are different blues, not your typical Bic Blue (using Bic Blue as a generic term only so no offense meant).

Anyway, try different papers and have some fun with the inks. There are more than enough to choose from even if you stay with Noodlers.

I run R&H Scabiosa in a EF nib and do like it. Even as an IG, I was surprised how much color did run when I had some pages get wet. Been in the same pen for... 3 years now. The only time I flush it is if it sits for a long time and the nib dries. Salix lays down and dries to a solid blue. I haven’t gotten it wet to see how it runs.

Diamine’s Registrar’s is in my daily pocket pen, and a Pelican Pelikano. It performs really well, laying down a light blue that dries down to a grey in my EF nib, not too dry, but not wet either. In a M nib, it lays down as wet as I ever want, and dries to an almost black, almost immediately.

I also have Heart of Darkness, and it performs well. I just had to use black for 25 yrs, and now prefer not to, at least a straight black.

Both brands of the IGs above perform and behave really well, in my pens and on any paper. They’re the best I’ve found on cheap paper.

Look at Gouletpens.com and grab some samples before you commit to a bottle.

Registar's inks were impressive in their day, and their longevity is why they are required by law for some uses in some places. That said, they do fade some, especially exposed to bright light, which is how the Declaration of Independence on display at the National Archives ended up faded - it was exposed to sunlight not all that many decades.

For fountain pens, Noodler's Black is a good choice. I started with Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin, and found that Noodler's Black worked a little better for me. Platinum's Carbon Black also works, but be aware it's a dirty ink and, while fade resistant, isn't tamper proof.

Actually, Uni-Ball's 207 and 307 ink is also is a good choice, but it's a gel pen. The ink is fade and tamper resistant.

Most papers aren't acidic these days, but if you find one that says it's acid free, you should be good to go.

Top Bottom