What's new

eye and ear protection

Hi All
Shooting newb here. Don't even have my own yet -- but go shooting with friends semi-regularly. 90% at an indoor range, shooting pistols -- 9mm, .38/.357 mostly. I expect I'll be picking up my own handgun in the next couple of months -- probably a used Ruger or S&W 357.

I searched the forum and found a few threads but there's lots of disagreement on ear protection.
It looks like plugs plus muffs are the most recommended.

I'd like electronic muffs so I can hear range instructions -- especially critical I think since I'm a beginner. The Leigh Impact Sports are popular, but with a NRR of 22, they seem a little weak.

What about eye protection? Normally I just use safety glasses from work. Any advantage to using anything more shooting specific? (I don't wear glasses.)

Looking for some good recommendations without starting a Ford/Chevy, RedSox/Yankees discussion.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You will probably find that a sport specific protective eye wear will allow you to see more clearly than industrial safety glasses and if shooting outdoors, better sun and UV protection than simple clear plastic safety glasses, plus they look cooler! What ever you get, make sure it has a wrap around design and a high impact polycarbonate lens. There are many brands out there, pay your money and take your chances.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tools are good places to shop for eye protection.

I use Caldwell electronic low profile muffs. If someone brings out a real big boomer, I add a set of plugs under them. My Caldwells are three years old. I shoot around 5 days a week. They have given me no problems.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I believe I read somewhere that for muffs a minimum of 25 NRR was recommended, with closer to 30 being better. My Silencio Magnums are 28, and I believe my Peltors are 26. Of course you could always double up with foam plugs but that might interfere with the electronic muff being able to transmit range commands.

I looked for some electronic muffs quite awhile back and if I remember correctly I had a problem finding electronic muffs with a 25 NRR that weren't outrageously priced. I'd like to get a nice set of electronic ones.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My experience is somewhat limited with electronic ear muffs, but The ones I did have, seemed more functional on outside ranges. When I used them inside, there was so much shooting going on from other shooters around me, the muffs never had a chance to clear in order to hear un-muffed voice commands. I just finally realized and accepted, that I will just always have to listen to voice commands inside or outside in muffed tones.

So I just always wear plugs now.

The HL and a set of plugs are my go to set up indoors and mostly outdoors as well. I will occasionally cheat and go plugs only outdoors on a hot day. When I face the mics on the headphones to the rear, I find this maximizes my ability to hear range commands whils still portecting me form the weapon's report.

A wise old Italian Haberdasher told me this in the summer of 1979 when he sold some 15 year old kid working part time at Macy's a pair of Florsheim Imperials for 119.00-

"You only got one set a feet and one set a eyes. Never go cheap on shoes or glasses, sonny boy." He was right and those shoes got me thru 3 years of a part time sales job, 10+ dances, 50+ speech/debate tournaments and a bunch of school and schloarship interviews.
They got retired for my first pair of AEs.

As someone who has experinced a double charge resulting in quite a bang and completely seperated .45 caliber case and whose vision was likely saved by my then brand new Oakley M Frames, I would reccomend Oakleys, ESS, Revison and Smith models found on the approved Army list. This is an area that I would not scrimp on in any way. You should consider a set clear lenses for indoors and something with some tint for outdoors. I tend to favor the more rose/brown lenses for outdoors as they are not quite as dark a grey and the bill of a ball cap keep a fair bit of sun off my eyes anyway.

http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/

YMMV Greatly.

i just use the ear plugs and safety glasses from my job, but then again i shoot outdoors and not with any more than a couple people at a time.

I really treasure my hearing. I use a custom fit ear plugs and electronic Peltor head phones.
The ear plugs were made by a local audiology clinic.
Peltor are relatively light and extremely comfortable.

Last edited:
So I ended up ordering the Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 electronic earmuffs. They have a NRR of 30. They're a little bulky, but I don't do a lot of rifle shooting. I haven't tried them at the range yet (tomorrow), but I put them on at home. I could easily amplify background sounds -- like TV in another room, and could get them to "clip" by clapping hard right by my head.
proxy.php

I also got a pair of inexpensive clear Radians shooting glasses - chose them primarily because they have very thin wire temples and ear pieces, so shouldn't interfere with the muffs.

I tried out the eyes and ears last night. The muffs were great! They muffled sound very well, quickly came back from muting. I had tried a cheaper pair of electronic muffs previously and it took a 1-2 seconds to come back after they muted which made carrying on a conversation very difficult. These Howard Leights came back very quickly -- I'd guess 1/2 second or less.

This thread seemed a lot more interesting when I thought it was about shaving. Then I noticed it was posted in the Shooting Sports and Firearms forum. Glad you found something that you like though.

I use the inexpensive Champion electronic headphones with can be bought at Wally World. I think they are around $25. They work really well. If I dont think I will need to use the listening feature inherent on electronic muffs, I will also use ear plugs that readily available at a pharmacy or grocery store.

Eyewear - I bought some anti-fog pair. I dont know the brand off hand.

Last edited:
Use both muffs and plugs. Electronic muffs over plugs. A 357 is probably the loudest pistol and the more protection the better.

Brand is not as important as fit.

Top Bottom