What's new

Exterior ear hair removal (waxing?)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't help with the wax, but I get my ears waxed at each haircut and it really is a great solution - very smooth and lasts quite a while. My stylist has a gizmo that melts the wax, but she's using it all the time, so I suspect the microwave would do the same job with a little experimenting.

Well I did some research and apparently you can make a sticky paste for hair removal by heating up sugar and lemon juice (or vinegar). Will have to let the hair grow back for a few weeks so that the “wax” will have something to grab on to.

I’ll try that first, and if it doesn’t work I can always serve it at Christmas dinner.

Fire! (...of course 🙄).

That worked well when the hair was fine, but with the coarser hair now coming in it leaves visible stubble.

How close are you to this friend?

It’s me.

…Eventually, I hit upon a method that works nearly as well as waxing for me. I start with a trimmer (Wahl Professional Stirling Mag) followed by a finishing razor (Wahl Professional 5 Star Finale). Both are compact, lightweight, and cordless. The Finale is best used after a once over with a trimmer, like the Stirling Mag. I never use the Finale first, because the Finale's cutting mechanism is designed for removing very short stubs, and even fine longer hairs can degrade the cutters…

Thank you for the suggestions. I used to have a Remington foil razor years ago but threw it out because I no longer used it…never thought that it could be useful one day for my ears.

UPDATE…

I bit the bullet and am no longer a hairy-eared bastard!

I followed this lady’s tutorial:
(Don’t know why guy kept his hat)

What she explains is that for ear use, hard wax is preferred to soft wax because it sticks only to hair and not the skin.

The only hard wax I could find locally was at Walmart (pictured below) for just under $15 Canadian. It’s a huge pot, so unless my ears grow or I start waxing elsewhere, I should be good for life.:001_rolle

To melt the wax I just used the double boiler method; once the wax had melted I brought the whole deal to the bathroom. The heat from the water easily kept the wax warm enough for the time needed.

Whereas she covered the tragus in one shot and left the stick there to pull the wax off; being alone, I preferred to do it in three steps (outside, edge, inner base) and peel it by hand. Just used a narrow popsicle stick to apply the wax.

Oh, prior to waxing I wiped down the area with some rubbing alcohol to remove any oil from the hair.

I don’t know how often this will have to be done, but my hope is that eventually the hair in that area will eventually stop growing.

proxy.php

I have one of those battery powered mini hedge trimmers. I get a lot of hair in my ear canal and the trimmer works just fine. I've had it for years and years. A drop of sewing machine oil on the cutter every blue moon is all the maintenance it needs. I'm pleased it has lasted so long.

I always had it done with a haircut, but stopped. Their method is using an earbud, let it dry and pull it all out. I am sure that once I had what felt like a vacuum being formed in my ear when they pulled it out. Ear was very uncomfortable for at least a week afterwards. IF that is what happened then it seems dangerous.

I saw them do that on a episode of Travel Man. It looked interesting and the first I had ever heard of it.

If I am ever in Istanbul, I'll have it done. Otherwise, clippers or nose trimmer will by my choice.

I also saw it on that same episode of Travel Man and now keep a lighter in the bathroom. It works well. You just have to be a bit careful if your hair is getting longer and growing over your ears. Don't ask me how I know... :bayrum2:

UPDATE #2

Ears were still perfectly clean after two weeks. By the time the forth week came around, they needed to be rewaxed. The dark hairs didn’t return but the fine blond ones did (possibly the ones that were too short to get plucked the first time).

Just waxed the suckers.

I feel more aerodynamic now.

So, ahhhh, my friend has a problem with ear hair growing on the exterior of his ears. It wasn’t too noticeable when they were fine and blond, but now they are coming in dark.

My friend, is tired of shaving, burning, and plucking these things twice a month. He saw videos of guys getting their ear waxed and thinks this could be the thing for him.

My friend would like to try it himself in the privacy of his own home. He wonders if it is the same stuff ladies use on their legs.

My friend wonders if there are brands to look for or avoid. He also wonders if regular pharmacies carry these products or if he will have to so to a specialty shop.

Poor guy, I really feel for him
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN
I still use the trimmer on my electric razor for this. Otherwise there are hair trimmers out there that will do the trick.

Top Bottom