What's new

Exterior ear hair removal (waxing?)

So, ahhhh, my friend has a problem with ear hair growing on the exterior of his ears. It wasn’t too noticeable when they were fine and blond, but now they are coming in dark.

My friend, is tired of shaving, burning, and plucking these things twice a month. He saw videos of guys getting their ear waxed and thinks this could be the thing for him.

My friend would like to try it himself in the privacy of his own home. He wonders if it is the same stuff ladies use on their legs.

My friend wonders if there are brands to look for or avoid. He also wonders if regular pharmacies carry these products or if he will have to so to a specialty shop.

Poor guy, I really feel for him
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

So, ahhhh, my friend has a problem with ear hair growing on the exterior of his ears. It wasn’t too noticeable when they were fine and blond, but now they are coming in dark.

My friend, is tired of shaving, burning, and plucking these things twice a month. He saw videos of guys getting their ear waxed and thinks this could be the thing for him.

My friend would like to try it himself in the privacy of his own home. He wonders if it is the same stuff ladies use on their legs.

My friend wonders if there are brands to look for or avoid. He also wonders if regular pharmacies carry these products or if he will have to so to a specialty shop.

Poor guy, I really feel for him.

The 'Zon has several options for Ear/Nose Hair Removal designed specifically for men; link goes to but one example.
A less drastic approach might be using a trimmer, however.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree with Mr. @Wogus I bought the flagship multi attachment model of that Conaire trimmer. I can do my nose, eyebrows, ears, pretty much anything requiring micro detail work. My review below 👇

If I were your friend, I'd choose the trimmer rout, before going down the ear canal cruising for the wax stream. I could imagine him at the work break room cooler saying, "hey fellas, I got an ear wax job, you should try it." And the guys say, "what in God's green earth did you do to yourself, don't you know it's your God's given right to have hair, bolstering your masculinity."

Just give your ears a trim, leave the wax for the ladies, and enjoy life. 🍻

Your friend can use one of those battery powered micro trimmers that is about the size of a ballpoint pen and looks like a miniature hedge trimmer (reciprocating blades, not circular). They come with guards and attachments, but most are safe to use directly on the skin if your friend is careful.

Wax and flames I would not want to try on my own. I have seen Turkish barbers do some tricks with BIC lighters or cotton balls held in forceps, dipped in alcohol and set ablaze.

I agree with Mr. @Wogus I bought the flagship multi attachment model of that Conaire trimmer. I can do my nose, eyebrows, ears, pretty much anything requiring micro detail work. My review below 👇

If I were your friend, I'd choose the trimmer rout, before going down the ear canal cruising for the wax stream. I could imagine him at the work break room cooler saying, "hey fellas, I got an ear wax job, you should try it." And the guys say, "what in God's green earth did you do to yourself, don't you know it's your God's given right to have hair, bolstering your masculinity."

Just give your ears a trim, leave the wax for the ladies, and enjoy life. 🍻

^this is best.
i've same sad problem.
tried various tactics.
battery trimmer is best.

I already, I mean HE already has the standard Wahl rotary trimmer for nostril and ear canal use. It works well enough in the holes, but not so well on the flats (tragus …ear hole flap, helix…top of the ear, and the lobe).

Just figured that after a few months of ripping then out by the root they wouldn’t come back.

I'll shave my ears once or twice a week as I'm shaving my face. After doing it for years I've got the way I need to hold & pull my ear as I shave it. Only nicked an ear once or twice. Then if I have a stray hair I can't get with the razor approach I'll use tweezers & pluck the rascal.

I'll shave my ears once or twice a week as I'm shaving my face. After doing it for years I've got the way I need to hold & pull my ear as I shave it. Only nicked an ear once or twice. Then if I have a stray hair I can't get with the razor approach I'll use tweezers & pluck the rascal.
I do the same. After a shave I squeeze leftover soap from the brush and smear some lather on the ears. Works well to keep a unibrow in check as well.

That is what I am tired of doing…ears bleed like heck when you nick them.

Also bugs me that while the rest of my hair and body hair is turning white, these suckers are coming in thicker and thicker and darker and darker.
I do the same. After a shave I squeeze leftover soap from the brush and smear some lather on the ears. Works well to keep a unibrow in check as well.
A few years of plucking got rid of my unibrow, which is why I have hopes pulling the exterior ear hair could eventually be successful.

That is what I am tired of doing…ears bleed like heck when you nick them.

Also bugs me that while the rest of my hair and body hair is turning white, these suckers are coming in thicker and thicker and darker and darker.

A few years of plucking got rid of my unibrow, which is why I have hopes pulling the exterior ear hair could eventually be successful.
I thought it was your friend :confused1

What's going on here? Do you have ear hair?

rainn-wilson.gif

Last edited:
I saw them do that on a episode of Travel Man. It looked interesting and the first I had ever heard of it.

If I am ever in Istanbul, I'll have it done. Otherwise, clippers or nose trimmer will by my choice.

Agreed, it feels like a "don't try this at home" solution, and I would likely set the shower curtain ablaze. At least I don't have to worry about singing the (lack of) hair on my head.

How close are you to this friend?
I have never done any waxing. My wife has. She has this gnarly looking cup of melted wax that has solidified with some kind of stick stuck in it. When she uses it she microwaves it and disappears into the bathroom for a session of secret womanly things.

WAXING​

IME nothing can beat waxing for the cleanest possible look. I used to live in a large metropolitan area, where I had someone who knew what she was doing, and I was glad to pay her for waxing my ears. Then I moved to a smaller town and could not find a professional. I made a few attempts at waxing my own ears. Unfortunately, if I ever write a book about those attempts, the book will be titled something like "A Comedy of Errors" and subtitled "It Wasn't Pretty".

NO WAX​

Eventually, I hit upon a method that works nearly as well as waxing for me. I start with a trimmer (Wahl Professional Stirling Mag) followed by a finishing razor (Wahl Professional 5 Star Finale). Both are compact, lightweight, and cordless. The Finale is best used after a once over with a trimmer, like the Stirling Mag. I never use the Finale first, because the Finale's cutting mechanism is designed for removing very short stubs, and even fine longer hairs can degrade the cutters.

Anyway, nothing cleans up my ears close to as well this combination. It's fast, virtually blood free, and useable all over the outside of the ear, including front and back. It enables me to press and flatten the ear surface as needed, it's not messy, and it's cheap to operate, which eventually compensates for the start up investment.

I'm not saying that these two razors are unique. In fact, the 5 Star is no longer available, although this looks like its descendant. And BTW, in addition to the similar form factor, I noticed that both the 5 Star and the descendant are labeled "Super Close".

Good luck whichever way you go @Frito Ray.

Last edited:
Top Bottom