What's new

Exploring new blades with specific concerns

I know
But the referendum for the UK to leave the EU has wreaked havoc with exchange rates.
Money transferred from England to Spain is in £ Sterling, if there is a bad exchange rate, it is possible to lose a lot of money every month when it is exchanged into € in the Spanish bank.
As a British Expat living in Mallorca, Spain, I can't afford to spend any more money than is necessary - I might need every last Euro if things get worse and I can no longer afford to live in Spain.
The prospect of having to leave Spain and move back to England is enough to give anybody nightmares !!
Makes sense, sorry for my presumption

Since nobody has mentioned them, I'll throw out the Perma-Sharp Super blades as well. I have extremely coarse hair, and these have become my favorite blades. Better than the Feathers and the Polsilvers for me.

Hey guys,
Been a while but I did go with Astra and Polsilver and Polsilver ended up being my favourite. I've since bought another fifteen and I still can't get over how much mileage you get for your money in DE razors. So glad I switched 10 years ago.

I'm no longer living in Paris, I'm now in Quebec City. Can anyone recommend a good place for the same razors in Canada or the US with cheap shipping. Ideally a place that will also sell my Truefitt and Hill cream and lotion. Thanks!

Hey guys,
Been a while but I did go with Astra and Polsilver and Polsilver ended up being my favourite. I've since bought another fifteen and I still can't get over how much mileage you get for your money in DE razors. So glad I switched 10 years ago.

I'm no longer living in Paris, I'm now in Quebec City. Can anyone recommend a good place for the same razors in Canada or the US with cheap shipping. Ideally a place that will also sell my Truefitt and Hill cream and lotion. Thanks!
For Polsiver SI , A lot of the Folks here like
To do business with DCC, he is a Member
Here at B&B and usually has good
Prices and Shipping rates I think you may
Find him in the Vendor section
but I'm not certain maybe
Some of our other Members can post an
Update for you... However I usually get the
Very lowest Prices and free shipping from
The Ebay Vendors located in Bulgaria and
I've never had a problem with any of my orders and Ebay guarantees satisfaction and
So does Paypal.. I've made many Purchases
Of Polsilvers from Bulgaria..

Last edited:
What exactly is DCC? Is that someone's username here?
Yes that's one of members user name
Although I haven't seen many postings by
Him lately , I'm thinking some our members
May have an update on wether he is still
Selling Polsilvers and if the prices are good

It sounds to me that you need a blade that is both very sharp and very smooth. A few that meet that criteria for me are Gillette Silver Blue, Perma-Sharp, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (green), German Wilkinson Sword, and Polsilver SI. Good luck.

Hey everyone,
So no recommendations on North American blade shops online? TryABlade gets a little bit more expensive when you make 5 blade "packs" out of their individual blade prices. And they don't sell anything but blades.

Consequently, I took some advice here and DID add a few other trials to my Polsilver standard blade. I've got 2 Bolzano, 2 PermaSharp, and 2 of the famous Gillette Silver Blue I kept hearing about. Try A Blade is pretty fantastic.

Sort of related: there was a thread here where someone actually tried several blades and charted them for wear, sharpness, etc over time. Anyone happen to know where that thread is?

Thanks!!

Consequently, I took some advice here and DID add a few other trials to my Polsilver standard blade. I've got 2 Bolzano, 2 PermaSharp, and 2 of the famous Gillette Silver Blue I kept hearing about. Try A Blade is pretty fantastic.
Just a minor update, in case anyone's interested. Bolzano, PermaSharp, and GSB were all terrible for me. All painful, the Bolzano less so. The GSB basically felt old and rusty after 2 shaves. Just terrible. Permasharp cut me, Bolzano tugged the whole time. I'm back to Polsilver, still the only that gets me a perfect shave 95% of the time, barring bad blades every now and then.

Just a minor update, in case anyone's interested. Bolzano, PermaSharp, and GSB were all terrible for me. All painful, the Bolzano less so. The GSB basically felt old and rusty after 2 shaves. Just terrible. Permasharp cut me, Bolzano tugged the whole time. I'm back to Polsilver, still the only that gets me a perfect shave 95% of the time, barring bad blades every now and then.
Just in case you still have not found a
Decent vendor yet, here is a LINK to
DCC he has free Worldwide Shipping
And the prices for 100 Polsivers is
Very good
Polsilver Super Iridium Blades

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think you have to use a great soap or cream for the sharper blades and you will have the greatest combo.
Slickness helps the blade glide and better shearing of the whiskers- better skin protection. I like Astra SP and it does the job with good technique.
If you want the blade to last a little longer make sure its clean and dry to preserve the cutting edge.

Another update..
I went with the lists created by Razor Emporium for their different blade kits, particularly the one for sensitive skin, ordered some things and now have some new blades I like. Great comparison listing of sharpness they offer. They're just a guideline, but it was helpful nevertheless.
So I now also like Gillette 7o'clock - Green and Personna Red. Both felt fantastic. Even Astra didn't feel as bad as I had remembered. I almost feel like I'd rather get rid of some of my Polsilver packs I just bought to get some of these others instead. When I ordered them I thought only Polsilver would ever work for me.

I’ll open pandora’s box for you:

TryABlade.com

He pretty much carries every blade known to mankind (and some you wish never existed hahaha). The benefit is you can buy a bunch of different blades to try before pulling the trigger on a bulk purchase. Surprised no one mentioned it before since he ships international too. But that should allow you to try anything you’d like. I personally recommend Viking’s Sword. Cool name and great blade. Good luck!

I’ll open pandora’s box for you:

TryABlade.com

He pretty much carries every blade known to mankind (and some you wish never existed hahaha). The benefit is you can buy a bunch of different blades to try before pulling the trigger on a bulk purchase. Surprised no one mentioned it before since he ships international too. But that should allow you to try anything you’d like. I personally recommend Viking’s Sword. Cool name and great blade. Good luck!
Oh, I've been using them for a while. Knowing where to buy blades isn't the issue. This thread has moved on a bit and I've returned to it to tell people that recommended certain blades what I thought of them. But thanks anyway. A place to trade blades would be cool though.

Top Bottom