What's new

Explain this (Or, "What the actual heck?")

So if you are into collecting razors and trying new Soaps and brushes, you can't fairly compare the money spent on this solely to what you would have spent on carts or canned foam. Why is this, you may Ask? Well, when you are collecting SRs it is not a fair comparison to disposable cartridges. If you spent $120 on carts a year, that's money in the trash... which is where those used up carts go. If you're patient and frugal, you can obtain supplies to restore old straights for very little. A stone progression from bevel set to finishing can be had for ~$100 if you are patient. Polishing compound, sandpaper, lapping film, etc pretty inexpensive. Good vintage razors that need little more than cleaning and honing can be found for less than $30 easily enough, for much closer to $20 if you're really patient. Once cleaned and shave ready, these razors are worth considerably more. Maybe not quite worth your initial investment + time in restoration (unless you enjoy working for minimum wage), but still a good shape restored vintage razor of name brand renown can fetch decent money in the right circumstace.

Those razors you acquire, they are worth many time more than just the money you spent as compared to carts. I actually am beginning to believe that RAD (I guess more specifically vintage RAD) is more akin to coin collecting. Except coins have no functional use. Still the collecting aspect is the same. There's a value that won't depart from that razor, even over 50 years. Most razors, with proper maintenance, can last at least 2 lifetimes of exclusive use. Probably more than that. That dirty and dull, but otherwise in good shape, Greaves razor circa 1860 that someone's great great grandather put in a drawer because he wanted something else after 10 or 15 years over a hundred years ago still has tons of useful life in it. That razor is highly unlikely to decrease in value. Actually, when you're lucky enough to have found it on the bay for about 30 bucks, you best bet it will be worth many times what you paid for it 30-40 years from now.

Last edited:
You’ll have something to show alright, but it will all go straight into the bin when you pass to the other side. Nobody collects this stuff except us and my wife already made it clear that everything goes because nobody we know uses this old stuff anymore. Enjoy it all on this side.

You’ll have something to show alright, but it will all go straight into the bin when you pass to the other side. Nobody collects this stuff except us and my wife already made it clear that everything goes because nobody we know uses this old stuff anymore. Enjoy it all on this side.
That's another take, and in some ways true. Unfortunate but true. Talk your wife/kids into at least posting ebay auctions. My personal plan is to pass it on to my grandson. I should be semi-retired when he's coming into his shaving years... I have to get to him before his dad does lol.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Our youngest son wet shaves. I've told him about B&B... when I expire, he'll join up... make enough posts... wait out the 45 days and post my stuff on BST. No one will get rich from my meager collection but it won't end up in the trash.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Our youngest son wet shaves. I've told him about B&B... when I expire, he'll join up... make enough posts... wait out the 45 days and post my stuff on BST. No one will get rich from my meager collection but it won't end up in the trash.
What about the Dylan collection? ;)

I love this hobby but I also understand perfectly well that nobody wants to spend hours on eBay or B&B boards selling my used shaving kit when l pass. I had to liquidate a family member’s farm and a house full of crap they valued and spent a lifetime collecting. For me it was calling in roll off dumpsters and a semi truck to haul off 90% of everything straight to the dump. I did not have time to inventory, catalog, or look up prices…I had a real job and a family. The other 10% was sold off to the highest bidder. At the end of the day, I would have preferred a simple cashiers check and zero collectibles or worldly things to worry about getting rid of. PSA: downsize all your collections before you go, so your heirs can simply collect a check and go on about their lives with no stress.

If you learn how to manage your money and don't fall for that sucker BS about needing a razor costing $hundreds. You will need to get a sample pack of blades from The RazorbladesClub. or Try-a-blade. You don't need to show off to anyone here with claims of using only Feather Blades, when cheaper blades can also give you a close & smooth shave.
A $10 synthetic brush allows you to shave just as closely as a $100 brush.
A 98¢ can of Barbasol works just fine while you're getting accustomed to shaving. Go for the Stirling, Shannon's or ToBS soaps later.
A $12 Schick Krona or Gillette Tech razor can give you a closer shave every bit as easily as many spendier razors.

Once you get the shaving basics down, you can branch out & spend like a drunken sailor - it just isn't necessary to begin with.

Top Bottom