What's new

Expensive shave soaps, do they work any better?

I will preface this by saying "use what you like, enjoy it, and don't worry about what anybody else thinks". You know, YMMV! Back to the liquor analogy, I remember a few years back when a particular brand of "premium" vodka became very popular. People at bars began to request and even demand it. They stocked their personal liquor cabinets with it because all other vodkas suddenly tased like crap in comparison. In my mind, I thought people were simply being influenced by advertising, and the opinions of others who were talking up the latest and greatest vodka. EVERYBODY (well, at least the cool people) said it was really good, so it must be. Best to go along instead of speak up and say "it just tastes like vodka". So I decided to put it to a test. I had a party one night which included several friends who were vodka snobs. I produced 3 identical, unmarked glasses, each containing a different brand of vodka; the super popular, preferred high-dollar premium, a middle of the road old standard, and a cheap brand most vodka drinkers referred to as "rot gut". About 15 people participated, and when all was said and done, people preferred the mid-priced old standard by a wide margin. The rot-gut came in second, and the premium brand dead last. Actually, most of them had trouble telling a difference and deciding which they liked best; a few thought I was playing a prank and poured the same vodka in all 3 glasses. I think the same thing happens in the world of shaving soaps. I certainly prefer certain scents over others, and I like soaps with menthol when the weather is warm, and so forth, but when it comes to actual performance and just getting a good shave, the difference between the best soap I've ever used and the worst is not that big.

Does money buy a better soap? Strictly speaking: No, it doesn't. I tend to have dry skin, so I like a super-fatted with tallow and butters kind of soap. In my experience, those kinds of soaps don't come cheaper than 12 to 15 bucks for a 3 or 4 oz tub. Anything more than that and you are buying luxury more than performance, but there is nothing wrong with that. I've tried PannaCrema Nuavia. It's an excellent soap. It is not "worth" the 60 bucks or so it costs when I can get essentially the same performance from soaps costing 70% less. But, I will buy a crock of it sometime in the future. It just smells so good, and I can afford to spend a little money on a luxury that will litterally last for months or years.

I haven't bought or tried any high-end luxury soaps, so I can't speak to whether they're better. All I know is that I am happy with moderate to low priced soaps like Tabac, MWF, Palmolive, Stirling, Fine, La Toya, and Cella. Good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as shave soaps go paying more doesn't necessarily insure you get a better product. It's like buying a bottle of wine. You can find a $20 that's better than a $100 bottle and in turn just because you paid $100 for something doesn't make it good. You'd hope that you're getting a better product for your money but often times it's just not the case.

For me the very best soaps at any price are:

Grooming Dept - the new Mallard formulas ($24) and the beef tallow ones ($21) are in my opinion the very best soaps made. The price includes free shipping as well.

Tallow & Steel - These are another excellent performing soap at around the $26 mark. The scents are bold so do keep that in mind. These are my second highest rated soap.

The Grooming Dept and the Tallow & Steel offerings are the clear top two for me. The rest are in no particular order but all are outstanding.

Sudsy Soapery - Another tier 1 soap for $10 to $16 for a good sized tub.

Wholly Kaw (donkey milk version) - These are around the $25 mark.

Declaration Grooming - Around $18 or so for a tub.

PannaCrema - they do have the $65 Nuavia line but a tub of their Pure2O version can be had for around $15.

Barrister & Mann Reserve - $18 for this one and it's another outstanding tier 1 soap.

I've tried somewhere over 600 soaps before I stopped counting so I've tried just about everything out there that's worth trying. I don't consider cost at all when rating a soaps performance as it makes no difference if it's a $6 or a $60 soap in terms of how it performs. After the fact price is definitely a consideration whether or not to purchase something, but it has no baring on how it performs in comparison to something else. Same deal with the scent as we're not all going to like the same scents. It's too subjective to put into the rating.

So the majority of these are right around the $20 mark and in my opinion these are the best soaps being made at the moment at any price point.
I like your picks sir, which Sudsy Soapery do you like best? Have you ever tried Midnight & Two? Thanks man ~

I am very utilitarian when it comes things like shaving products. I want to know exactly what I am paying for and cut through the marketing (shaving brushes). In that spirit, if it is slick, lathers easily, and agrees with my skin then I am good to go. Stirling, Sudsey soapery, soap commander, B&M, proraso all do the job for +/- $10-20. I pay a bit more for a specific scent or a limited run, but for me diminishing returns appear rapidly. There is also a sale every other week, not mention black friday, so there is little reason to pay more.

I struggle with answering the original question...the first thing I struggle with is how to define expensive...in my book, I prefer to define expensive as "expensive per shave". So a soap like Saponificio Varesino which seems "expensive" at $28 is actually incredibly inexpensive IMO. The puck I bought almost a year ago and have shaved with dozens of times barely has a dent in it. On the other hand, soaps like Mike's which cost $19 and also uses up super slowly is a total value both upfront and longterm. And soaps like WK which are $23 but use up insanely quickly are clearly very expensive on a per use basis.

So now that I have defined "expensive" as a "high per-use-cost", we can move forward with the rest of the conversation.

My personal observation is that the soaps that perform VERY highly for me like Eufros and WK are on the "expensive per use" end of the spectrum. They have amazing glide, cushion and post-shave. Once we get below that tier and look at the remaining contenders (SPV, Mike's, Mystic Water, GD vegan), I find that the performance is not quite as pleasant but still very good and price is either moderate or inexpensive.

The bottom line is that I could shave with any or all of these soaps, but I seem to get the best results from the most expensive per use cost soaps. But there are plenty inexpensive soaps that get you to 90% of the end result for FAR less money. I happen to care more about the experience than the cost, so I am happy to pay for Eufros and WK even if it costs more, but even there, there are some soaps I won't touch because they are simply too expensive.

I like your picks sir, which Sudsy Soapery do you like best? Have you ever tried Midnight & Two? Thanks man ~

For Sudsy Soapery I really like the Lavender & Peppermint but know that it's dominant with the peppermint so it has a nice cooling effect to it. More of a peppermint soap with a hint of lavender instead of the other way around. I also like the Sandlewood & Citrus and Sandlewood & Myrrh scents quite a bit. The Rose & Black Pepper one I've smelled the scent of in an earlier sample that I got to try but I haven't bought the soap yet. I likely will at some point as I really enjoy the scent of that one. The scents are simpler as the vendor only uses essential oils. No fragrance oils with the one exception being the Chattilion Lux Delor soap that they did a collaboration with. That's another really nice scent from them when it's available. The soap is really nice and the jars come filled with a lot of soap for the cost. So an excellent value there.

I have tried Midnight & Two as well. They don't make my tier 1 (only six makers do) but they're at the top of my next tier down which is quite an accomplishment considering I've tried over 600 soaps. So figure they're in my top 2% of all I've tried. It's another soap that you'll have problems finding any fault with. I'm just extremely particular and a soap has to really stand out for me to make it into my highest tier. If the post shave was slightly better they'd likely be in my tier 1. So another excellent soap that I definitely enjoy. I like their Provence scent quite a bit as it's an excellent lavender scented soap. Their aftershaves are really great as well. I understand that they have some newer scents available now as well but I've only tried the original four (The Cabin, Citrus Island, The Study and Provence).

Nuavia Blu, may be my favorite scent ever. Worth $60?

You can find them for that price on sale every so often. Just have to keep your eyes open...

There was a post in the last couple of weeks about Tabac in the jar for $10
Used or new? That's REALLY cheap if it's in the bowl.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Eh, I have plenty but normally the soap with the bowl is 25-30. Heck just refill pucks run 15-18

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They're sold out right now anyway. My point is, you can find shaving soaps at great discounts if you really want to...

Best price on MWF refill pucks I've seen - not that I've searched Amazon - is from Connaught Shaving in the UK. Shipped for something like $11.30.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $20 for a soap, or that I'd be willing to go above $25.

For Sudsy Soapery I really like the Lavender & Peppermint but know that it's dominant with the peppermint so it has a nice cooling effect to it. More of a peppermint soap with a hint of lavender instead of the other way around. I also like the Sandlewood & Citrus and Sandlewood & Myrrh scents quite a bit. The Rose & Black Pepper one I've smelled the scent of in an earlier sample that I got to try but I haven't bought the soap yet. I likely will at some point as I really enjoy the scent of that one. The scents are simpler as the vendor only uses essential oils. No fragrance oils with the one exception being the Chattilion Lux Delor soap that they did a collaboration with. That's another really nice scent from them when it's available. The soap is really nice and the jars come filled with a lot of soap for the cost. So an excellent value there.

I have tried Midnight & Two as well. They don't make my tier 1 (only six makers do) but they're at the top of my next tier down which is quite an accomplishment considering I've tried over 600 soaps. So figure they're in my top 2% of all I've tried. It's another soap that you'll have problems finding any fault with. I'm just extremely particular and a soap has to really stand out for me to make it into my highest tier. If the post shave was slightly better they'd likely be in my tier 1. So another excellent soap that I definitely enjoy. I like their Provence scent quite a bit as it's an excellent lavender scented soap. Their aftershaves are really great as well. I understand that they have some newer scents available now as well but I've only tried the original four (The Cabin, Citrus Island, The Study and Provence).
Thanks man, I like your take. Not to wear you out what
For Sudsy Soapery I really like the Lavender & Peppermint but
know that it's dominant with the peppermint so it has a nice cooling effect to it. More of a peppermint soap with a hint of lavender instead of the other way around. I also like the Sandlewood & Citrus and Sandlewood & Myrrh scents quite a bit. The Rose & Black Pepper one I've smelled the scent of in an earlier sample that I got to try but I haven't bought the soap yet. I likely will at some point as I really enjoy the scent of that one. The scents are simpler as the vendor only uses essential oils. No fragrance oils with the one exception being the Chattilion Lux Delor soap that they did a collaboration with. That's another really nice scent from them when it's available. The soap is really nice and the jars come filled with a lot of soap for the cost. So an excellent value there.

Thanks man I like your takes, here are some soaps I'm considering please give me your opinion: Eufros, La Savonniere du Moulin, Meissner Tremonia, La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise. Thanks again ~

Nope. Right now, to me, not really. I tend to expect more when I spend more, so most of the time it’s just alright or meh for me when it’s just good but priced badly.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-4-16_21-12-55.png

The really expensive soaps seem to be ones which go fast so that the tub, puck, or jar lasts only a relatively short time. Even more expensive are soaps at any price which are bottom drawered after one shave. It sure is expensive finding out if soaps are to your liking (neglecting samples).

upload_2018-4-16_21-14-56.png

Speaking of samples, I acquired a sample of MdC, expensive sample, but inexpensive entry fee into the world of MdC. The closeness of the shave it delivered surpassed other shaves. Plus, I had heard that the all crucial cost per shave was actually rather low. When I ordered a jar I knew I was getting a soap which would last a long time, and deliver great shaves. That is worth a lot.

Brothers giving samples to other brothers is a fine practice, and I know you agree. Samples, in this case, include containers of soaps they might like but you know you don't. Pucks, too, of course.

Arko.Mine.Open.640.4-18.JPG

MdC.New.Open.640.4-12-18JPG.JPG WhollyKaw.KingOfOud.640.Open.4-18.JPG FlyingMangoTop.640.JPG1912WickhamSoap.640.JPG

I like, have, and use soaps more expensive on a cost per shave basis than MdC, particularly Wholly Kaw. I also have some very inexpensive soaps I like a lot, particularly Arko. Obviously, different soaps deliver a different product. Some, like MdC, are just soaps and do only one thing very well. Others, like WK, deliver both a good shave, and condition the skin rather well.

Someone mentioned how some guys really prefer or need soaps which hydrate to a rather extreme degree. That would be me. I want the soaps I use to meet my needs. If they don't why bother? My beard is old, wiry, tough, and rather impossible. Neglecting the entry fee issue and the scents, and assuming I like the soaps I buy, and actually use them, I don't much care what soaps cost.

Still, I find it prudent to do a lot of homework as I can't afford to bottom drawer soaps with high entry fees, and don't want to bottom drawer any soap. It's more fun to get it right the first time.
Tabac.jpeg
None are free. None are too expensive if the shave is superior. I certainly do not believe all soaps are equal, nor do I believe it is just a matter of money. I've tried some stinkers, a bunch of okay soaps, and several I consider top drawer regardless of price. A few are truly superior (for me).

I'll let you guess which category Tabac falls into (for me).

Happy shaves to everyone using whatever soap and kit you like,

Jim

Top Bottom