What's new

Expensive shave soaps, do they work any better?

I do not disagree with anything the gentlemen have posted above . . . though I am more in the mind of @BigJ wrt the Scotch analogy.

For me, it all comes down to what you mean by "work any better." The single most important factor in a soap, for me, is how slick they are. My personal experience is that American tallow-based artisan soaps are the slickness kings. If they cost more per shave, I'm willing to pay that premium.

Macallan 12. I have more expensive Rums though. Shave soap, probably Catie's Bubbles. I've heard people rave about certain brands, then I see them and how much they cost, and TBH I walk away. It not that I can't afford it (not to sound pompus) but i see better uses for my $$ that something I am going to, essentially, scrape off my face :) I use RazoRock Stirling, Caties, PAA, etc.

Last edited:
As far as shave soaps go paying more doesn't necessarily insure you get a better product. It's like buying a bottle of wine. You can find a $20 that's better than a $100 bottle and in turn just because you paid $100 for something doesn't make it good. You'd hope that you're getting a better product for your money but often times it's just not the case.

For me the very best soaps at any price are:

Grooming Dept - the new Mallard formulas ($24) and the beef tallow ones ($21) are in my opinion the very best soaps made. The price includes free shipping as well.

Tallow & Steel - These are another excellent performing soap at around the $26 mark. The scents are bold so do keep that in mind. These are my second highest rated soap.

The Grooming Dept and the Tallow & Steel offerings are the clear top two for me. The rest are in no particular order but all are outstanding.

Sudsy Soapery - Another tier 1 soap for $10 to $16 for a good sized tub.

Wholly Kaw (donkey milk version) - These are around the $25 mark.

Declaration Grooming - Around $18 or so for a tub.

PannaCrema - they do have the $65 Nuavia line but a tub of their Pure2O version can be had for around $15.

Barrister & Mann Reserve - $18 for this one and it's another outstanding tier 1 soap.

I've tried somewhere over 600 soaps before I stopped counting so I've tried just about everything out there that's worth trying. I don't consider cost at all when rating a soaps performance as it makes no difference if it's a $6 or a $60 soap in terms of how it performs. After the fact price is definitely a consideration whether or not to purchase something, but it has no baring on how it performs in comparison to something else. Same deal with the scent as we're not all going to like the same scents. It's too subjective to put into the rating.

So the majority of these are right around the $20 mark and in my opinion these are the best soaps being made at the moment at any price point.

I like my AS and EDT, but I wouldn't spend 100's of dollars on those either :). It's scented alcohol after all.

This is where I would most disagree. Some aftershaves are loaded with skin food and have significant healing/post shave properties. Barrister’s Reserve and Declaration Grooming aftershaves come to mind. Lots more there than “scented alchohol.” In terms of expensive software, it’s true that a great shave can be had on the cheap. However, the same above also applies to some artisan soaps. Some soap bases provide much more skin food and subsequently a better post shave feel. One example would be Whoopy Kaw ‘s Donkey Milk base. I can get just as close and protective a shave from Proraso or Razorock, but there’s a noticeable difference for me in terms of how my skin feels after the shave. Plus, if you have hard water like I do, some of the less expensive soap bases just don’t perform as well. Nothing has come close to Barrister’s Reserve for my water situation.

Sorry EDT is the Scented alcohol, not the AS. AS should have good stuff in it, as you stated. I have a nice water softener so I'm good there. RR and Proraso have a nice feel, but honestly I do AS, then moisturizer, so yea, soap's post shave feel doesn't really matter much :)

this made me step back a bit and think. my expensive soaps are the boellis panama 1924 and a few of the SV. outside of Boellis being the easiest soap I have to lather. is it a 20 ish percent better shave then SV and then are both of them appropriately better then my stirling or mwf or schafmilch. my "shiny" thought process is definitely going to say yes. but in reality I couldn't honestly say yes they are THAT much better :(

I can't say that I have noticed that they work any better. They do tend to smell nicer. What I have found is that they last a heck of a lot longer - you only need to use a little rather than a lot. So they actually aren't expensive?

Good morning Gents,

I've been mulling this over in my mind as I see guys laying out $30-40 for artisan soap.

I've spent a lot on razors, they are a durable good, and will go the distance, and they do most of the heavy lifting. Once i get it dialed in, the blade doesn't really matter to me, save longevity. . I've acquired some expensive brushes and some inexpensive ones. I have forgone most of my badgers and all of my boars in favor or synthetic. They hit all the right spots for me.

I also don't buy the super high end software as the RazoRock, La Toja, Prorazo, Stirling, Etc. price range items are fantastic, I can't see that the others are worth the sometimes significant up-charge. I think it's like a good scotch, rum, or whiskey. The "standard" good version is very good, to say the least. Take Macallan 12, it's fantastic (if you like scotch). Next is line I believe is the 10 year old which is 30% more. Is it 30% better, meh it's better, but 30 %, not sure. Then the 18 year old at 400% more. That one I don't think is worth the extra. Next you start hitting the limited runs, special casks, and the 20, 30, 40 year olds, etc. Now we are talking hundreds to thousands of dollars a bottle. Is it worth it? I have no idea, my wife would kill me if i spent that kind of money on alcohol LOL. That's just my two shillings anyway.

So what I would like to know is do they make the shave better in any way other than scent? Scent is completely subjective, and honestly way to personal to even consider it as a factor for the purposes of this discussion. I like my AS and EDT, but I wouldn't spend 100's of dollars on those either :). It's scented alcohol after all.
IMVHO, there is a relationship, at least in some cases, but not a strong one. I get very good results with some moderately priced soaps, so that pretty much ends the inquiry for me, and apparently you too. Somewhere there may be an uber-expensive soap that's a little better, but whether it's worth the additional money is purely subjective.

Sorry EDT is the Scented alcohol, not the AS. AS should have good stuff in it, as you stated. I have a nice water softener so I'm good there. RR and Proraso have a nice feel, but honestly I do AS, then moisturizer, so yea, soap's post shave feel doesn't really matter much :)
I would not agree with this statement. When you compare EdTs that are 100% artificial and scented with synthetic frangrance (virtually any of the large commercial scent makers)....with EdTs using botanical extract frangrance (like Floris, Penhaligon's or Tom Ford), there is a difference like night and day...both in scent and in how it interacts with your body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Regardless if how it's scented, it's still scent and alcohol. I have had everything across the gambit, it's there to make you smell nice. There are no healing properties etc, to it. Please feel free to enlighten me otherwise.

For the actual shave—cutting whiskers from ones face—Arko, KMF, and Palmolive work as well or better than more expensive soaps (YMMV). However, for many, shaving is more of an experience than simply cutting whiskers.

You can buy very effective soap or cream at prices far lower than the average cost of artisan soaps. They won’t have some of the ingredients, scents, EOs, etc. that many consider as much a part of shaving as scraping whiskers off the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the whole experience, to the detriment of my wife's opinion of the process LOL. I just think there is a point of diminishing returns. I enjoy the scents of my various soaps. I like some brands better than others as far as performance goes. I like some scents better than others, like everyone else. I also have the Missus' nose to contend with, aka no sandalwood or any other woodsy scents allowed rule LOL. I need to read up more on the donkey milk soap. it's technically jenny milk, but that sounds, well, odd and I think very few people would buy it.

I forgot about KMF. I have a big bottle of that stuff. Their lavender is very nice :)

Good morning Gents,

I've been mulling this over in my mind as I see guys laying out $30-40 for artisan soap.

I've spent a lot on razors, they are a durable good, and will go the distance, and they do most of the heavy lifting. Once i get it dialed in, the blade doesn't really matter to me, save longevity. . I've acquired some expensive brushes and some inexpensive ones. I have forgone most of my badgers and all of my boars in favor or synthetic. They hit all the right spots for me.

I also don't buy the super high end software as the RazoRock, La Toja, Prorazo, Stirling, Etc. price range items are fantastic, I can't see that the others are worth the sometimes significant up-charge. I think it's like a good scotch, rum, or whiskey. The "standard" good version is very good, to say the least. Take Macallan 12, it's fantastic (if you like scotch). Next is line I believe is the 10 year old which is 30% more. Is it 30% better, meh it's better, but 30 %, not sure. Then the 18 year old at 400% more. That one I don't think is worth the extra. Next you start hitting the limited runs, special casks, and the 20, 30, 40 year olds, etc. Now we are talking hundreds to thousands of dollars a bottle. Is it worth it? I have no idea, my wife would kill me if i spent that kind of money on alcohol LOL. That's just my two shillings anyway.

So what I would like to know is do they make the shave better in any way other than scent? Scent is completely subjective, and honestly way to personal to even consider it as a factor for the purposes of this discussion. I like my AS and EDT, but I wouldn't spend 100's of dollars on those either :). It's scented alcohol after all.
My favorite soap is williams, for me it works fine, the only advantage the more expensive ones have is scent, i have tried probably over a hundred different soaps, but the best performing and easiest lathering soap I have ever used is razorock what the puck blue barber, im just not a fan of the scent on this one, but i have never used a soap that lathered as easy and performed as well as this one, and it cost 6 bucks. If i was going to set up a newbie with a soap this one would be it. But in all reality soap is a personal matter and people have their own reasons and points for the soaps they like, but i do think people miss out on a lot of good soaps by ignoring the cheaper price soaps.

I don’t go after pricey soaps too often so I really wouldn’t know. I think SV is a great soap and a bit more expensive but cost per shave is probably on par with most. Hard to beat Stirling for its price point.

Of course people often enjoy purchasing products with more value, or ostensibly so - that is just human nature. Oftentimes our preconceived notions of a product (instilled by advertisements, packaging, etc) will enhance our experiences with them, though I think this is less true with shaving than it is with scotch, for instance.

As for myself, past experiences have disinterested me in trying cheaper soaps much further. During my first few months of wet shaving I tried Proraso Green, Speick, and Bigelow (all on the cheaper end) and they were all just terrible for me. They couldn't provide adequate slickness and protection; it felt like taking sandpaper to your face with the razor. Granted, these 3 soaps don't represent all of the soaps within their category. I'll probably try Arko in the near future, but that's it.

Proraso green and Bigelow are the same thing. They represent a good baseline by which to judge. Speick is ok, not my favorite, but nothing awful. You sure you had them dialed in correctly?

Proraso green and Bigelow are the same thing. They represent a good baseline by which to judge. Speick is ok, not my favorite, but nothing awful. You sure you had them dialed in correctly?

This.

They may not be top tier, but they are at least moderate quality for many.

Really interesting question as I have struggled with it a bit myself. Every time I decide to use certain soaps and creams only, I end up trying samples of more expensive products because why not....and every time I decide that the more reasonable priced products are just fine. I do not see much difference at all between the products I have tried other than scent. I enjoy sandalwood alot and my favorites are Stirling and Proraso.

I am currently using a new puck of Stirling Sandalwood. After about a dozen shaves it still looks almost unused. I expect I will get lots of shaves from this. Having AS splashes and balms with like scents is a plus for me.

So, I have settled on Stirling and Proraso soaps, Proraso and Maca Root creams. All reasonably priced and work great for me. However, I also have a list of products I would like to try, based on reviews from all you fine folk......sigh.

While I am not a scotch drinker (since scotch was mentioned earlier in this thread), I have been drinking bourbon for 40 years. I have a favorite rather expensive bourbon that I enjoy but it is very hard to find so I buy my old standby, Wild Turkey 101. I enjoy Blanton's more, but sipping Wild Turkey does make for an enjoyable time. Guess it is similar with soaps/creams for me.

Bourbon as an example works. To stretch the analogy further, you can always go with the 750 vs 1l vs 1.75 to cover the difference of one soap lasting longer i guess :) My favorite is Willett, but I have yet to find a source for it locally. It's very unfortunate.

Top Bottom