What's new

Shannon's Soaps Rebrab

image posting

I received a tub of Shannon's Soaps Rebrab. I know, weird name. Rebrab is the surname of one of the richest men in the world. I don't know if she named the soap after him, or not. However, it is a nice, sophisticated scent. I bought it because it was said to be a barbershop scent with a twist. It isn't like anything I think of as an American barbershop scent, but it is very nice. It has a bitter citrus opening note with some other things going on that can't explain. It then has lower notes that are more tobacco, just a little, but not like cigarettes or anything. It is more like a cologne scent to me.

I let it air out over night and the scent got better. I lathered up and all sorts of notes started hitting my nose vying for attention. Not bad. There is just enough menthol to make one feel fresh, but not enough to over power and demand attention. But, scent is not what I was after. I wanted a tallow + lanolin shaving soap that performed well. I got both of those things and more. I actually laughed when I read that the soap base name is Chupacabra.

Ingredients: Tallow, kokum butter, avocado oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, stearic acid, coconut, glycerin, lanolin, coconut oil, goat milk, mallow extract, buckthorn extract, meadowfoam seed oil, Vitamin E, essential oils, fragrance oils, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide (made by hot process),Menthol

I loaded my brush and noticed that I needed a bit more water. I added a few drops and then started building the lather on my moistened face. I got a huge amount of lather using a APShaveCo G5C knot brush. I could tell the lather was good, just by the feel and by looking at it. I took my S.K. Colling 6/8 straight razor and started under my lower lip. On the first downward stroke, even though short, I knew I had a winner. Shaving WTG, ATG, and XTG posed no issues. The residual slickness was there in spades, too. I mean, Folks! This is a $9.99 soap, not a $30 soap!

Slickness: 9.75/10
Cushion: 10/10
Scent: 9.5/10 (This is just me. I like a regular barbershop scent most of all).
Post shave face feel: 9.7/10 (It isn't MWF, but it is really very good).
Closeness: 10/10 (near BBS and I wasn't trying)
Skipping/Dragging: 10/10 (Nada, none)
Price: 10/10 (this is a real value)
Total score: 9.85/10

Someone who loved the scent even more might score it higher on that, as scent is subjective. I like the scent a lot, but as I said, a regular barbershop scent is more to my liking. I am not a cologne kind of guy, but this is manly, so no worries there.

Shannon's Soaps Chupacabra base is a hidden gem! I have got to try some more. This is better for me (YMMV) than Stirling, B&M early bases, and is as good as B&M Omnibus base. All I need to do is find the right scent and I'm all set.

Another nice writeup. Shannons has always been a bit underrated I think. Even their less expensive base soaps whip up into great, slick lather. they seem to have gotten more popular with all the TRC collabs, which is great, and I hope more people continue to try their soaps. great stuff. Lit is my favorite of theirs. Sort of dark and smoky, great fall scent!

image posting

I received a tub of Shannon's Soaps Rebrab. I know, weird name. Rebrab is the surname of one of the richest men in the world. I don't know if she named the soap after him, or not. However, it is a nice, sophisticated scent. I bought it because it was said to be a barbershop scent with a twist. It isn't like anything I think of as an American barbershop scent, but it is very nice. It has a bitter citrus opening note with some other things going on that can't explain. It then has lower notes that are more tobacco, just a little, but not like cigarettes or anything. It is more like a cologne scent to me.

I let it air out over night and the scent got better. I lathered up and all sorts of notes started hitting my nose vying for attention. Not bad. There is just enough menthol to make one feel fresh, but not enough to over power and demand attention. But, scent is not what I was after. I wanted a tallow + lanolin shaving soap that performed well. I got both of those things and more. I actually laughed when I read that the soap base name is Chupacabra.

Ingredients: Tallow, kokum butter, avocado oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, stearic acid, coconut, glycerin, lanolin, coconut oil, goat milk, mallow extract, buckthorn extract, meadowfoam seed oil, Vitamin E, essential oils, fragrance oils, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide (made by hot process),Menthol

I loaded my brush and noticed that I needed a bit more water. I added a few drops and then started building the lather on my moistened face. I got a huge amount of lather using a APShaveCo G5C knot brush. I could tell the lather was good, just by the feel and by looking at it. I took my S.K. Colling 6/8 straight razor and started under my lower lip. On the first downward stroke, even though short, I knew I had a winner. Shaving WTG, ATG, and XTG posed no issues. The residual slickness was there in spades, too. I mean, Folks! This is a $9.99 soap, not a $30 soap!

Slickness: 9.75/10
Cushion: 10/10
Scent: 9.5/10 (This is just me. I like a regular barbershop scent most of all).
Post shave face feel: 9.7/10 (It isn't MWF, but it is really very good).
Closeness: 10/10 (near BBS and I wasn't trying)
Skipping/Dragging: 10/10 (Nada, none)
Price: 10/10 (this is a real value)
Total score: 9.85/10

Someone who loved the scent even more might score it higher on that, as scent is subjective. I like the scent a lot, but as I said, a regular barbershop scent is more to my liking. I am not a cologne kind of guy, but this is manly, so no worries there.

Shannon's Soaps Chupacabra base is a hidden gem! I have got to try some more. This is better for me (YMMV) than Stirling, B&M early bases, and is as good as B&M Omnibus base. All I need to do is find the right scent and I'm all set.
Glad to hear you enjoy it for straight shaves as well.

It's great deal, it performs really well in my house's hard water. Actually when I moved I found this base to outperform several "top tier" soaps in the harder water at my new address.

I heard from Shannon. She read this thread.

She said this shaving soap is a cologne barbershop. It duplicates At The Barber, by Maison Margiela. The guys at the Head Shaver's Ball picked this out.

The base was named Chupacabra because Chris Bailey (CBD) used to make fun of all of the additives in shaving soaps.

Now we have some interesting background on this great shaving soap.

Another great shave today, this time with a Parker PTW shavette. I used a good Rudy Vey brush with a 25mm Mühle STF knot. This Chupacrabra base that she developed is really good. It is slick and my face feels good after I finish shaving. It doesn't leave me dry and needing a balm.

I think I said this before, but at first I wasn't sure if I liked the scent. This is not something I would normally choose. However, after using it the first time I realized I like it. Today's use just confirmed that, again. It is hard to describe because the scent is different than the parts. I definitely can pick up the bitter orange and some lavender. It is unusual and very nice.

Another great shave today, this time with a Parker PTW shavette. I used a good Rudy Vey brush with a 25mm Mühle STF knot. This Chupacrabra base that she developed is really good. It is slick and my face feels good after I finish shaving. It doesn't leave me dry and needing a balm.

I think I said this before, but at first I wasn't sure if I liked the scent. This is not something I would normally choose. However, after using it the first time I realized I like it. Today's use just confirmed that, again. It is hard to describe because the scent is different than the parts. I definitely can pick up the bitter orange and some lavender. It is unusual and very nice.
I have to give some scents time to grow on me.

I've tested 2 more of Shannon's soaps, then I tested some Italian soaps. Today, I shaved with the Rebrab and was again amazed at how good this soap base is. It has all of the slickness anyone could desire and the post shave face feel is really good. It doesn't leave me feeling oily, waxy, or dry.

I heard from Shannon. She read this thread.

She said this shaving soap is a cologne barbershop. It duplicates At The Barber, by Maison Margiela. The guys at the Head Shaver's Ball picked this out.

The base was named Chupacabra because Chris Bailey (CBD) used to make fun of all of the additives in shaving soaps.

Now we have some interesting background on this great shaving soap.

Man, I love this, her attentiveness, openness, and engagement with her customers. Contrasting that with some curtness, indifference, or ignoring from a few other sources, it sure helps narrow down where the dollars and support will go. This might be just the excuse to order her Barbershop flavour I've been craving (and don't need).

Thanks for sharing.

Man, I love this, her attentiveness, openness, and engagement with her customers. Contrasting that with some curtness, indifference, or ignoring from a few other sources, it sure helps narrow down where the dollars and support will go. This might be just the excuse to order her Barbershop flavour I've been craving (and don't need).

Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, she's been great. When you get that Barbershop, do a review of it. I am interested in this soap, too.

I just did a review on her Balkan Blend, which is a Chupacabra base pipe tobacco scented shaving soap. I usually don't like tobacco soaps, but I couldn't help it. It is fantastic. Check it out.

The scent it's patterned after is getting compared to Drakkar Noir . . . but also Platinum Egoiste, Rive Gauche, and Clubman Vanilla o_O: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Maison-Martin-Margiela/At-The-Barber-s-30262.html.

1692028339838.png

Top Bottom