What's new

English Super Speed?

I've heard people mention an English Super Speed before and always thought they were mistakenly referring to a Rocket. I think I may have finally located one!

Flare Tip Rocket, English SS?, Super Speed
proxy.php

"Made in England"
proxy.php

Could this be an English Super Speed?

Nice find.

Thanks Achim, that really means a lot coming from you!

It does have the cross checkering that my TV Rockets didn't have.

proxy.php

What an amazing variation of Gillette's there are out there! Surprisingly I'm keeping, most of, my sanity collecting them. :biggrin:

Some Gillette razors over the years had combined parts from different razors, I believe often during times of transition. I realize, however, that most of the hybrids were three piece razors, not one piece TTOs. It's probably a model of its own, but could it be a hybrid with some U.S. parts floating across the pond? Are there any known combinations of TTO parts? Imagination running wild! Either way it's super cool. Excellent score, Chris! :thumbup1:

Some Gillette razors over the years had combined parts from different razors, I believe often during times of transition. I realize, however, that most of the hybrids were three piece razors, not one piece TTOs. It's probably a model of its own, but could it be a hybrid with some U.S. parts floating across the pond? Are there any known combinations of TTO parts? Imagination running wild! Either way it's super cool. Excellent score, Chris! :thumbup1:

I also have what I call an "American Rocket" that would almost be the opposite of the English Super Speed.

American Rocket, 40's Rocket, Super Speed
proxy.php

"Made in the USA"
proxy.php

I know it's strange, but I really can't explain how I'm finding these? :confused1 Both were off of eBay. Thanks Devin!

It does have a tiny notch like an English razor but does not function like a Super Speed. It has the diminishing handle length common to most English razors. It could be something someone made themselves, as has been suggested before, but I believe it to be of Gillette manufacture. It did come in a 1948 Milord case.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Chris, get a life. :001_tt2: :biggrin: Nice score buddy.

Boy you can say that again! :wink2:

Where do you find these????

Believe it or not I got the American Rocket and the English SS off of eBay. I think the latter may have been from eBay Australia, I got it a while ago and forgot about it until today.

I love the fact that eBay brings all these rare and odd razors right to my door here in the high elevation sticks of southwest Montana.

V

VR6ofpain

The problem with eBay is knowing when to stop searching "vintage razor" late at night!

The problem with eBay is knowing when to stop searching "vintage razor" late at night!

That is true! Like Ram said I need a life. Thankfully searching eBay and drinking Scotch go well together. :biggrin:

Gabe did you get that Norfolk? It went higher than I thought it would.

Top Bottom