What's new

Gillette should have stopped with the Ranger

It’s official, I’m a Ranger fan!

I have to be on my game with technique, or I could see getting a rough shave. There’s a fair amount of blade feel, and I can hear it cutting loudly. I got a little too confident in my trouble area and I feel it, but that’s on me.

Lovely overall.

1697648669250.jpeg

It’s official, I’m a Ranger fan!

I have to be on my game with technique, or I could see getting a rough shave. There’s a fair amount of blade feel, and I can hear it cutting loudly. I got a little too confident in my trouble area and I feel it, but that’s on me.

Lovely overall.

View attachment 1734679
Ahhhh, it is the soap and aftershave that you chose - it has brought you good luck with your Ranger!

Reading through this thread has prompted me to revisit my 1941 Ranger. I agree with Scott that it is indeed a little more aggressive than my 1949 SS. Since I can consistently get DFS and occasionally BBS shaves from the SS, I think I prefer that, at least with the sharper blades in my stash. For me, the late 1940s SS and BET represent the pinnacle of razor design.

Beautiful razors. I have a 41 Ranger Tech replated by BRG. I agree they are fantastic razors. I have other vintage Gillettes and they are all great. The Ranger is definitely one to buy!
I concur sir! My 41 has been replated in Rhodium, and the 46 is standard, as plated nickle. They both shave the same. The 46 looks more like a Super Speed with the end caps on. I like the way the blade placement devices anchor the blades perfectly.

The Ranger is a great razor, but shouldn’t Gillette have stopped with the Tech? It was the perfection of the DE razor: no moving parts, durable, efficient, 5 points of blade contact for unexcelled rigidity. There was no need to go on. After it, all was gimmickry, designs emanating from the marketing department to cure problems nobody had. Who couldn’t load a 3 piece razor? Who really needed adjustability? But how could Gillette sell another razor to a guy who had a Tech unless they made him want a new razor with bells and whistles? I admire some of the post-Tech products, but they weren’t really necessary.
I think it was blades Gillette really wanted to sell. The razors were just a way to keep everyone interested. Although I love all the different iterations from a historical and design standpoint.

Top Bottom