What's new

Engagement ring questions

Tiffany, Harry Winston, etc. prices are negotiable; probably with the real estate market being what it is at this time you may well be able to negotiate a good deal for yourself. Asking price is always that i.e. what the seller wants; not what the seller will take. Anyone who won't give you a discount for cash is either at lowest price or greedy. When told "take it or leave it"; do just that, leave. Any seller knows when they have a serious customer and will work with him/her to make a sale because a customer who leaves without buying is usually lost forever. Do not be afraid to ask for a seller's bottom line because if you don't; you won't. Take her along because that reinforces the fact that you are serious and besides, she'll be wearing it.

Good luck and many happy years to the both of you.

Richard

I would recommend shopping for stones and settings together. You don't necessarily need to buy one together, but looking at a ring online, or in a magazine is different than having one on your finger.

I wouldn't really recommend buying a ring from the mall or any chain type retailer. If you like a ring made by a certain designer in stock at a store, get pictures of it, sketch it, or buy the setting (and return it later) and take it to a local jeweler. You can get a custom made ring (i.e. one of a kind) and get better stones for much less than dealing with a typical retail outlet.

I saved almost $1500 on just the engagement ring & wedding band (not including how much I saved on a diamond) by going this route. At the time my wife was also wanting a laptop for her Birthday... I was paying for the ring with cash, so I had just paid for her laptop as well with the money I saved.

The engagement ring is what you give when you become engaged. The wedding band is usually a plain band or one with diamonds or stones (generally smaller than the engagement ring) and is worn with the engagement ring (wedding band placed on finger first, before engagement ring) once you are married. The engagement ring/wedding band can be permanently joined together, if wanted. A wedding band is the only necessary ring... an engagement ring is promise with intent to marry shortly (within a year or so).

I may be off on some of the official terms/lingo, but should be correct for the most part IMHO.

I second the above response but add that you can go with just an engagement ring if you like (that is what we did and is apparently not too uncommon).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ouch, the hopeless romantic!!

Maybe the Minister could just handcuff them together at the end of the ceremony!

Top Bottom