What's new

Chef, Sous, Porter?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
20240103_165456.jpg

Likely a Jane of all trades...

This lovely old girl plays many rolls in my kitchen. At times she's the Executive Chef, occasionally the Sous, frequently the porter (cleaning up after), but always a constant and valued member of the brigade.

We make her food from scratch. I think she appreciates it. She definitely likes to supervise the process. Her name is Zoe. Sometimes Zoe Banana. I've had kitchen staff that were more productive, some almost as loyal and dependable (they live in my heart forever). But none quite as opinionated.

Share your pooches role in the kitchen, please. They aren't around long enough but they are beloved family members. 2023 wasn't a spectacular year for pets at the Chef household. We said a deeply sad goodbye to two.

I'll leave you with Jimmy Stewart. It has litle to do with a dog getting underfoot in the kitchen. But I think it's relevant anyway. It's a tear jerker. (If not you're dead to me.) You've been warned.

I'll leave you with Jimmy Stewart. It has litle to do with a dog getting underfoot in the kitchen. But I think it's relevant anyway. It's a tear jerker. (If not you're dead to me.) You've been warned.
I saw this episode. I was 21 at the time. Everyone started crying, and they cut to commercial almost instantly. Mac Davis was the next guest and he told Stewart he was backstage bawling like a child.

I had a great Chesapeake that was a super supervisor when I cooked, that was years ago and I still miss her. I now have a very smart black cat that wants to learn my cooking techniques especially when it comes to preparing fish and chicken.

All my dogs have been underfoot while cooking. They all know the sound of a cutting board hitting the counter top, not just the knife on the cutting board.

Since we added a kid to the house, my current two dogs (and even the cat) camp out under the high chair.

Now when I cook they pay me less attention, never call behind or corner... I've cussed them out a bit reminisce of Marco Pierre-White, as I trip over them on the turn from the counter beside the sink to the stove to drop in whatever I need to drop in. I mean even my wife knows to call behind, corner, hot, or sharp!

Top Bottom