What's new

Emperor Akihito of Japan Raises Possibility of Leaving Throne

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Today, His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Akihito has reached out to his people and took to the national TV airwaves (only twice so far), to give them a 'hint' of his wish to retire.

Jonathan Soble - MSN News - NY Times - 8 Aug 16 - Tokyo

proxy.php
"It has been something of an open secret in Japan that Emperor Akihito would like a privilege most people take for granted: At 82, he wants to retire. The question is whether the Japanese and their elected leaders will let him.In an extraordinary televised addresson Monday, the popular emperor spoke publicly about the issue for the first time [and stopped people in their tracks].

Though his words were characteristically vague — he discussed his age, his rigorous daily schedule and what he called his increasing physical limitations — the message was unmistakable.

“When I consider that my fitness level is gradually declining, I am worried that it may become difficult for me to carry out my duties as the symbol of the state with my whole being as I have done until now,” the emperor said in a prerecorded address that lasted about 10 minutes and was broadcast on multiple Japanese television networks.

If Akihito steps down, the move could redefine Japan’s royal family, the world’s oldest hereditary monarchy. While the emperor now has only symbolic power, an abdication could also resurrect a contentious issue in Japan: the debate over allowing a woman to occupy the throne.

First reported in banner headlines by the Japanese news media in July, Akihito, who has been treated for cancer and heart problems, wants to pass the title to his son Crown Prince Naruhito, 56. Prince Naruhito shares his father’s quiet demeanor and, by all indications, his wish to keep the monarchy apolitical.

But Japanese law, which says an emperor serves until death, makes no provision for abdication. Parliament would have to change the law for Akihito to step down from the Chrysanthemum Throne, which has been held by his family for almost 2,700 years, according to the official genealogy.

Japanese emperors define eras in the country. Its unique calendar is based on their reigns: 2016 is expressed as Akihito’s 28th year on the throne, and when his successor takes over, the date will reset to Year One.

$Emperor of Japan.jpg People watch a screen displayed on the street as Emperor Akihito, 82, makes a public comment on issue of his retirement on August 08, 2016, in Tokyo, Japan.

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/emperor-akihito-of-japan-raises-possibility-of-leaving-throne/ar-BBvn3On?li=BBnbcA1

$Emperor of Japan - 1.jpg"[....] I pray for the happiness of the Japanese people and peace in the world". Emperor Akihito of Japan

Really interesting! Would this be defined as a Constitutional crisis? I'm looking forward to following this story.

I'm headed to Japan at the end of the month. Seems like a prime time to be a usurper!
Let the games begin!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 117

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Really interesting! Would this be defined as a Constitutional crisis? I'm looking forward to following this story.
Windy City:
proxy.php
..., but I don't think it will be a Constitutional crisis (but also...I might be wrong...the Monarchy is 'rich & stepped' in court
protocol & ceremonial).
proxy.php

I believe that 'the will of the people' (to decide their own destiny), will prevail, the official changes made in Parliament, his son, The Crown Prince, Naruhito ascends to the Throne (he is on record for blaming the rigid lifestyle [protocol/ceremonial] imposed on the royals for a decade of stress-related illness suffered by his wife, who was once a high-flying diplomat...so he might also abdicate), or his brother, Fumihito, Prince Akishino (next in line of secession..., but there is also three [3] other 'spare' brothers after Prince Akishino), ascends to the Throne and a tired, frail, but supremely 'honorable' Sovereign is able to retire in peace. :thumbsup:

$Emperor of Japan - 2.jpg
Crown Prince Naruhito (L) with his father, His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Akihito.

proxy.php
"Japan: the Land of the Rising Sun and The Chrysanthemum Throne" CBJ

Last edited:
Didn't he ever watch "Ran"?

What happened when that guy tried to "retire" and leave his throne to his sons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily Ive been planning my overthrow for some time now, here I am preparing to storm the "floating castle of Suwa"

$image.jpeg

I believe that historically, there is only one way to leave such a position while maintaining "face".

And it isn't by way of Parlimentary rule changes.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I believe that historically, there is only one way to leave such a position while maintaining "face".

And it isn't by way of Parlimentary rule changes.

I have the sharpening stones.

Emperor? It's the 21st century, for Pete's sake.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Do you think they'll be accepting applications for a replacement? Between my Steward Badge and ascending to the Vice-Presidency at my club, I think I may be qualified. Unless @ouch applies. Then I may as well burn my application

wow. Pretty harsh. He is in his eighties and has been ill. Treated for cancer and recently had heart surgery.

Which is what many 80 somethings have going on. Most of whom also had to work 60+ of those years to pay the mortgage, put the kids through college, change careers a few times. Etc, etc.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
His pops Hirohito of WW2 fame ruled for 65 years. Akihito needs to suck it up. It strikes me as strange he would publicly admit his weaknesses given the Japanese Culture and his standing as Emperor.

The Dutch royals abdicate all the time. But the Japanese Emperor is (thinks of himself as) a special case. Have you ever read up on the Japanese Coronation ceremony? Terrifically weird.

Must be a tough life being emperor. What a pansy.
Hmm, if a non-American were to post something personally disrespectful about the US President on this forum, I imagine he would be rightly flamed and the moderators would be in before long for TOU violations.

Perhaps it would behove us to show more respect to the head of state of an ally, and respect its different culture and traditions.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hmm, if a non-American were to post something personally disrespectful about the US President on this forum, I imagine he would be rightly flamed and the moderators would be in before long for TOU violations.

Perhaps it would behove us to show more respect to the head of state of an ally, and respect its different culture and traditions.
Nick:
proxy.php
...nicely said and point well made my friend. :thumbsup:

I believe it's best to all those who apply to exhibit better restraint, sensitivity and emotional intelligence (i.e., I've been in your shoes paradigm), in future posts.

$Computer User.jpg[FONT=&amp]Posting] is like a [shadow dancing to an echo]". Carl Sanburg[/FONT]

Last edited:

And a little bit more respect for age. I'll admit I don't understand the idea of a royal family, but some cultures still embrace the system.

It's disappointing for me to see posts that imply, "Well, if ya can't stand the heat of your lag-a-bout position, Mr. Akihito, there's always seppuku.... just sayin!":001_rolle.

Don

Top Bottom