What's new

Meet Bernard My 95 Year Old Friend

Thanks for posting this.
My Father in Law(whose razors were the first ones I used in traditional wetshaving, and still prized possessions) was 96 when he passed. He saw so much of the world, and so much change. People who live that span of years are truly a treasure. I wish Bernard all the best!

What a terrific experience! I wish people my age had more respect and admiration for our elders. I think it's safe to say all of us have a similar goal... to get to be that old! What a great man Mr. Bernard must be, and I wish him lots of joy and excitement on his trip.

I also think it's safe to say he'd fit in quite nicely in the 3017 thread.

When I saw the title I thought you were talking about a 95yr old razor :laugh: Brilliant interview, really interesting. It just shows that people today are so caught up with Ipads, mobile technology and all that stuff and life seems so much easier when thigs are simple. What a great guy Bernard is, I bet it was a pleasure to meet him. Thanks to you too Jim!!

Thanks for sharing about granny. My grandparents are long gone, as is my dear father. Listening to their history, like your granny's, makes me wonder if that generation found us almost useless. God bless them.

Thank God you still have your granny. My grandmother died when I was 11....most influential person in my life and I'm 57 now.

And that Bernard is a real character...great sense of humor and seems to have all his wits about him. Thanks for the read, Jim...it was a blast!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jim:
Awesome story and interview. What a great read and I hope Bernard's RV
proxy.php
trip is a joyous one filled with
many memories!

Hear, hear! I raised my glass
proxy.php
in a toast to Bernard!
proxy.php

attachment.php
“One Razor, One Lather; One Shave at a Time”. CBJ

Last edited:
+1 ... as I was reading it I kept thinking to myself "Gee, I wish I had a friend like that!"

BTW, Jim, how did you meet Bernard in the first place?

I was at a mall in Tampa when I saw him looking at an AoS store. As my wife says, nobody is a stranger to me. I began talking to him and in an earlier post I mentioned that he had a unique way of adding water to his lather: he used a spritzer. I found out from him that he was staying at the same nursing home as my mother-in-law only he was in rehab.

That was a great interview. I like to hear the stuff my own grandparents/great grandparents were willing to share. What a great generation of people!

Heart warming, this was something that was very wonderful to read.
Thank you, Jim and Thank you, Bernard

Thank you for posting this. I haven't been on the forums for a while, and it was really nice to read this on the front page. Again, thank you :)

This is definitely a great story. It's funny, my own late father would be 94 now, and he always used an electric razor and Lectric Shave as far back as I can remember. (Was Lectric Shave made by Williams? Dad's name was William!) He did, however, have an old razor (I believe it was a single edge but memory fails me) that he used to have Mom shave the back of his neck with in between haircuts. When I was about 12, I heard Dad yelling down the hall, "Kay, come shave my neck!" I told him I would give it a try, did a nice job and from there on I was Dad's neck shaver. I should've asked for a raise in my allowance! ;-)

I just now read this article and all I can say is WOW! So much to admire, so much to learn! Thanks to Jim for sharing and many thanks to Bernard for your service and a life well-lived!

Top Bottom