What's new

Eleven Years On

@Guido75 Excellent advice. Even with this two(ish) pass pattern I've been doing I have kept horizontal strokes for the mustache, but stubbornly trying to go Northbound on the chin. Perhaps horizontal cannot be skipped in that area. Will experiment and see.

@Guido75 Excellent advice. Even with this two(ish) pass pattern I've been doing I have kept horizontal strokes for the mustache, but stubbornly trying to go Northbound on the chin. Perhaps horizontal cannot be skipped in that area. Will experiment and see.
Even my WTG pass is mostly horizontal on the chin. But that is more or less in accordance with my growth pattern there. I need to update my beard map and see which strokes actually currently work best for me.

Happy experimenting!

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Hoping your partner feels better soon, @desertcat Even though paxlovid helped me, it felt weird and the bitter, metallic aftertaste was off putting.

Of course I’m a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan. “Weird Al” Yankovic voices on their characters.

But that version ended years ago and now I’m digging deeper and wider and the current cliffhanger faced is whether Naruto and Pervy Sage completely defeat Orochimaru before his arms heal.

2/27
Best shave in weeks. Razor monogamy is good. Lightness is the Truth.

IMG_4570.jpg

Growth was very sparing today, as I shaved only ~15hrs earlier last night. I entered this session mostly excited to whip up Mike's Natural with a favorite brush, unconcerned with how the results would be otherwise. New AstraSP in the Timeless .95 for good measure. Normal prep, hot towel, soaked the brush very briefly.

Southbound pass is very easy, lighthearted, carefree. I don't care how productive it is. For the second pass I go northbound on the cheeks, inward-horizontal on the mustache and chin. Trying to think less and focus only on lightness. Good audio feedback helps me adjust the angle on the goatee and chin area. Northbound on neck, discover I need to angle steeper and lightness takes real concentration. More Mike's Natural remains on the brush, and I'm having such a lovely time... so I relather for a full 3rd pass. ATG directions everywhere, no chasing individual areas, just doing the passes. Hearing the gentle ring of keratin being sliced.

When I rinse, I can scarcely feel whiskers anywhere. Alum is just a fraction above neutral. Mustache is the only area with any detectable roughness when I run my hand against the grain. Everywhere else is beyond smooth. Only a touch of lingering warmth at the base of the neck. Improvement is always possible. HydroBoost to finish.

(I feel like I'm starting to write like @JoWolf who is the whole reason I bought a FaTip Grande... he wrote about it with such reverence, and a cryptic, mystic-like quality. I hope he ascended to shaving nirvana after removing all his whiskers in a single stroke.)

Reading this in @thombrogan 's journal caught my eye:
light razor and pressure

Perhaps the very weighty SS Timeless is teaching me particular lessons on the pressure/lightness subject. It will be interesting to see how it translates into other razors. I suspect without the inherent mass, lighter razors will require some lateral encouragement--maybe not pressure into the hairs, but across the face. I still want to shave with the timeless a couple more times before switching... if I can manage to regrow any of these whiskers.

That stuff is a trip, right?? It cleared up my symptoms almost instantly in July, but came with its own host of side effects. For those who require additional assistance kicking the virus, I'm sure it's a godsend--but perhaps it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I didn't bother with Pax this last time I caught COVID.

And I'm unsurprised that you have associations with anything that champions friendship, magic, or kindness--qualities you have in spades @thombrogan

thombrogan

Great results, @desertcat ! Here’s to today’s success being an “off” shave in the future!

Lightness is the Truth.

There are so many who preach a catechism of “No pressure,” but I suspect the Shavingtonian doctrine of “Less pressure” is more practicable by we mere mortals in this manifestation of the universe. Our more secular brethren will find this dogma compatible with Feynman’s First Principle:

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool”

Perhaps the very weighty SS Timeless is teaching me particular lessons on the pressure/lightness subject.

Could be. Finding a lesson in the behavior of mass that doesn’t cause injury or insult is great.

That stuff is a trip, right??

Very glad the side effects I faced were tummy troubles on day one, bitter aftertaste, feeling slightly like Richard “Cheech” Marin as some have it much worse.

Thank you for kind words.

2/28

IMG_4574.jpg

Concluding 1 week of Timeless shaves with Timeless Tuesday, today lathered with MWF + Whipped Dog Boar in resin.

Growth was sparing, as expected following yesterday's thorough shave. I think I have had even deeper and longer lasting BBS from the FaTip on perhaps one occasion... but certainly not at the same comfort level that the Timeless afforded yesterday.

Post shower, I rub a dab of Cremo and apply a hot towel. I load the bloom off MWF for about 30 seconds, before starting my lather build in the bowl. Something about this brush is not working quite as nicely as I'd like--there's plenty of product, but I can't seem to get the lather hydrated without it turning into a billowy insubstantial mess. So it's perhaps underhydrated when applied to my face, and a bit sparse for the later passes. I like the density of this brush, but I'm not yet adjusted to the shortness of the loft. I also made the mistake of lathering Ogallala Bay Rum with this brush, and it still retains some of the clove scent. It's the only soap I 100% blind bought, and I regret using a natural bristle on it. Will probably discard the soap, and I'm sure the clove will dissipate from the brush someday.

Lightness is my only goal. Southbound is good in all respects. Audio feedback and good lather lead me toward a steeper angle. Northbound is also comfortable, I am better at maintaining the correct angle and lightness on the neck today. ATG finale does not have the quantity of lather I'd prefer, I try to increase slickness by adding a touch of water when I apply. Fortunately lightness overcomes all obstacles, I think the results are even better than yesterday in some key areas... jawline near chin, front and underside of chin have great outcomes and were a real pleasure to shave. Hearing the sound of whisker removal while managing the lightest possible contact, there was something almost romantic... the uncanny feeling of bringing the blade to bear, while trying to almost hover it across the skin, hearing it cut without feeling it cut.... Of course @JoWolf said it better:

Strokes screaming towards weightlessness.

Truly one of the more esoteric of the prophets we've discussed lately @thombrogan ...and you have excellent taste, quoting the brilliant Feynman. It's been a long time since I read his writing, I ought to revisit. I was much more fond of "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" than his first book. By chance @thombrogan have you read Oliver Sacks? You might enjoy him. English neuroscientist with a great blend of romanticism and analytical thought.

Results of the shave were very close, very comfortable (though I can tell my skin is quite dry). Alum is very similar to yesterday, faint response. CeraVe to moisturize. BBS generally, missed some ATG stubble at the back of the jaw. Shocked I could produce two shaves at this level of quality, back to back.

In any case, I've rambled long enough. My partner is feeling marginally improved today, better sleep last night. May your shaves be smooth and weightless.

thombrogan

My partner is feeling marginally improved today, better sleep last night.

That’s very great news and I hope the trend to not feeling sick hurries onward.

lightness overcomes all obstacles

Saving that aphorism on my smoov ‘grey’ matter, Señor!

the uncanny feeling of bringing the blade to bear, while trying to almost hover it across the skin, hearing it cut without feeling it

That’s some fine description in your inscription. You and Adam / @flask28 are PNW mega-scribes. Makes being quasi-literate less of a curse because I get to ingest prose and brain candy.

have you read Oliver Sacks?

Haven’t yet. Will search out some stuff. Thank you!

3/1

Giving the Timeless a break for now, and wanted to do a comparison shave with the GameChanger .84-P today. Kept the same loaded AstraSP which I believe has two prior shaves. I chose to use the Yaqi Silvertip to lather a sliver of Arko pressed into the bowl, in honor of @flask28 who has long graduated on to much finer soaps.

I think my lather strategy needs some refinement, especially with the new "doctrine of lightness." My first pass typically has a very heavy lather coating, and subsequent passes it decreases in volume (presumably without losing much slickness). I have imagined that successful 2-pass shaves rely quite heavily on the effectiveness of the first pass, which I think might be hindered by an overly-heavy first coating of lather. Will need to experiment further.

However, lightness protects me from numerous errors I make, such as the lather today. The Southbound pass does not seem very effective, but is comfortable and I can hear some whiskers being reduced. The GameChanger, which at one time felt quite weighty, now feels totally manageable. I appreciate that the head is more nimble and slimmer, but the balance of the razor is very handle-forward by comparison, which is taking some adjusting.
Northbound/XATG is more difficult to find a successful angle. After all that talk about exposure and gap (with @Phoenixkh @Esox @APBinNCA etc) I wonder if the less-positive GameChanger responds more reluctantly to lightness, or is more forgiving of pressure. Some reduction takes place, but we are a long distance from the results I'm seeking. Imperceptibly, lightness becomes a slightly lower priority as I go whisker hunting--not enough to cause problems, but enough to evaporate the magical, mystical quality of whisker teleportation. Is it the gap, or is it the exposure? Or like @Phoenixkh said, the manifold total of all the geometry of a razor's head?
By the end, closeness is achieved in many places, especially on the mustache which was more challenging to manage with the Timeless. But I can tell, the depth of the shave is shallower. A couple red spots on the goatee appear. Alum has a brighter note than the last several days, but it tames quickly. HydroBoost to finish, BBS/BBS- result, without the afterglow of yesterday.

My assessment of the GameChanger has... changed. It was a good stepping stone toward an aggressive modern razor, and perhaps the less-exposed blade gave it familiar qualities to the 34C. I can always reach for it to achieve successful, close shaves with little risk of irritation or injury. But it does not present a challenge, or offer the same reward, as a razor that demands lightness. (This is not accounting for a different, sharper blade, which might change my opinion entirely) (Reminder that I also have no idea what I'm talking about)

May you sail into the weekend comfortably!

the less-positive GameChanger responds more reluctantly to lightness, or is more forgiving of pressure.
I think it’s exactly that. Gap is not perse the defining factor. Take the R41 or Fatip: almost no gap but I wouldn’t call these mild razors.

But much more important, Desertcat, I think even in a short period of time your dexterity and skill increased beyond what you already possessed. That accounts for the micro adjustments you are making subconsciously to deliver great shaves. Yes the Timeless 95 can be aggressive and bitey, but in my experience very manageable provided you use what you know. The niks the razor the more leeway you have in Apple in applying what you know.

Guido

First, a correction so @thombrogan and I can still be pals
finer soaps
I should have said
so-called """finer soaps""" 😂😂
Because we all know Arko is in a category of its own.

3/2

IMG_4581.jpg

Going to finally give an extended trial to the Prewar Fat Handle Tech, which I have always struggled with. After all the talk about various Tech models and their blade exposure relative to modern razors in @flask28 journal, it's got me thinking about how to properly respect and handle this razor.

I'll sort of summarize my thoughts about the shave before I get into the details. I think the history of this razor informs the way it ought to be approached and used--being somewhere in the ballpark of 85 years old, I understand shaving was dramatically different in those times. Folks were probably not chasing the absolute closest shave, and relative to a SR or early Gillette model the Tech would qualify as mild--but in our modern kaleidoscopic world of DE blade holders (aka razors) the positive exposure makes it deceptively aggressive, despite its small gap. The small gap also interacts differently with lathers, our modern soaps probably have very different performance levels than their predecessors. Folks using this razor when it was new, were likely making a lather closer to the drippy, wetter lathers preferred by SR shavers of yesterday (and today). Finally, in those times, I'm sure shaving was considered a delicate and careful process--no pressure was inherently understood.

A new AstraSP installed to keep variables minimal. Lathering today with the new Omega 49 and Cella, it's a really thick lather and despite my efforts to thin, I never got it quite where it needed to be. I found myself repeating passes, using the razor head to wipe lather down to a level where the blade could actually get purchase on whiskers.

Lighthandedness was more challenging with the overall mass (or lack thereof) of this razor. I think I brought much better technique to the table, than I ever managed to use with this razor in the past. Southbound felt productive. Second pass (can scarcely call it Northbound now, as it's a jumble of directions) I had some difficulty locating my angle and caught a couple weepers across the goatee on one side. The razor seems to shave more neutral than the Timeless. As mentioned I think the lather was causing its own difficulties. ATG is surprisingly successful in terms of comfort and safety, but I can't quite achieve the overall BBS finish--generally a DFS+ without causing lasting injury or irritation. I have a similar feeling of levitation when I shaved the jawline, whispering away the whiskers. The alum is noticeable briefly, but not sustained. CeraVe and HydroBoost blend to conclude.

I have come leaps and bounds, taught by the strict hand of the Timeless and encouraged by all you fellow nerds. Far and away, the most successful shave I've had with this razor, and I think once the details are sorted I can include it more frequently in rotation. Its history and correct usage has less commonality with the 34C or .84-P and I think that was the source of my struggles. This week I may experiment with a heavier handle and/or other blades, just to see if there's a more natural combination to achieve consistency.

Be well!

thombrogan

Looking forward to reading more of your Tech shaves, @desertcat Hoping the weepers from your last shave are the last weepers or nicks experienced by any of us.

Very curious as to whether the mass and balance change of the heavier handle will be an improvement or just a difference. Same with whether you can get a thinner first-pass lather with the Cella and if it aids your ever-lightening touch as much as it occasionally helps mine (lather in general — I haven’t used my Cella yet).

Probably gonna huff some ARKO! before my next shave. ;)

3/3

Sticking with the Prewar Tech as planned, today lathering with MWF and the TGN badger. This brush needs some TLC, it's a decade old and has never been "washed" with something to remove soap buildup. The tips are clumping together. Hoping to "borrow" some citric acid from work--we should have some lying around.

thinner first-pass lather

That's the goal for today: getting a different lather texture. I try to create a wetter lather, don't whip as vigorously in the bowl. But despite adding what I consider generous water, I end up with an odd, "skinny-fat" foam which lacks bulk, but is also somehow thicker than I intend. Most of the volume of the lather is too aerated and lacks slickness. I can't get the "drippy" quality I was hoping for.

Despite my preoccupation with the weird lather, the shave goes well--better than yesterday. I find greater success keeping a working angle, and despite needing to pass the blade multiple times (first to mostly skim lather, then to actually remove whiskers) I don't raise irritation. Lightness, the ultimate solution.
Southbound is productive, second pass feels easier than yesterday. I still struggle with finding the correct angle and stroke direction going inward on the right side of my goatee. Is it the way I'm holding the razor? My overhand hold going inward from the left side does not encounter this difficulty. Final pass has a good, featherlight touch and I get the moments of "whisker teleportation" on the jawline and chin. The chin requires some additional attention, but I'm rewarded with closer results than yesterday. Alum is far quieter than yesterday also, HydroBoost to finish. Some spots on the jawline have a little texture, mustache is rougher than I'd like, but many areas are BBS. Wish I could've executed the shave a touch quicker, it felt somewhat labored and slow--but my speed will improve with time.

I removed more whiskers when I was reshaving areas without lather, using only the residual slickness. The beginner's mantra of "only shave where there's lather" is not as rigid of a rule, when better technique and lightness are successfully implemented.

Have a good weekend of shaves!

I removed more whiskers when I was reshaving areas without lather, using only the residual slickness. The beginner's mantra of "only shave where there's lather" is not as rigid of a rule, when better technique and lightness are successfully implemented.

Nice! I'll catch up with you someday :) I'm still following that rule pretty closely although I agree that Mike's residual slickness makes reshaves pretty forgiving and low risk.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the morning (maybe) snow!

Top Bottom