What's new

Eleven Years On

On the other hand, I worry that some (Timeless, FaTip) are excessively aggressive for daily use, unless I don't strive for BBS.
There are two possible answers here well at least anyway. First is the one you already mentioned: stop chasing the BBS. This has helped me immensely this month and even though I am using one of my less favourite blades the entire month zero irritation and BBS- shaves are my reward. Go figure.

Which is in part answer two: no pressure combined with the right razor/blade pairing. The Timeless and Fatip should be fit as daily driver without irritation with the right blade. Will take some experimenting but the rewards are great. YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Guido

2/22

Snowing here in Portland, very unusual. Hope @flask28 @Tanuki and others are staying cozy. And to any other blizzard-affected members, stay safe out there.

I have decided to stick with the Timeless.95 for the next week or so. Dropped a fresh AstraSP into the razor after cleaning, choosing Tabac and the Plissoft 400 for lather. Above average lather today, hydrated sufficiently but still good cushion. Growth is slight, only brief contact with a hot towel following a shower.

Good southbound pass, more effective than some previous shaves. New blade was the correct decision. Northbound is still a little clumsy, I struggle to choose between fully aggressive ATG strokes (which this razor should handle) or a gentler, more outward XATG pattern near the chin and goatee (the area that's giving me the most northbound difficulty). On the neck I do a decent job of splitting the difference, but I stay milder in that goatee/jawline/chin area. Paying particular note today to keep my touch light. I relather for the final jawline/goatee/chin touchup with a true ATG approach. I'm rewarded with a lot of closeness without weepers or irritation. BBS- basically everywhere. Alum has presence but less spots of sting than yesterday. I mix a dab of HydroBoost into CeraVe to conclude.

Overall, a much better shave than yesterday both in closeness and comfort. Perhaps the blade has a shorter lifespan in this more aggressive razor.

chasing the BBS
In general, I'm much better about "chasing" than I used to be. When I first started, I was constantly rubbing my face and hunting stubble, often buffing or shaving areas that no longer had lather. I try to resist the urge. However, when I feel the problem areas (jawline and chin especially) are still in the DFS+ area after 2 passes, I often relather for a final ATG pass--sometimes despite conditions not supporting further shaving. Today worked out for the best. I think the issue is more challenging with milder razors--thinking particularly of the Tech shave from last week. Always an area for improvement.

build myself a rotation for the year
I think my rotation anxiety is only outshined by my organizational anxiety--spreadsheets and calendars are my nemesis :devil: but sticking with a razor for a week is less intimidating. I already feel my competency with the Timeless improve after 2 consecutive shaves.

2/22

Snowing here in Portland, very unusual. Hope @flask28 @Tanuki and others are staying cozy. And to any other blizzard-affected members, stay safe out there.

Yeah, it's wild out there, this amount of snow is really surprising!

Here's a preview of my SOTD for today:

1677110717811.png

2/23
Work is canceled following a very unusual 10-inch snowfall here yesterday. Cold temperatures will prevent the snow from dissipating for several days. I managed to get off the roads early in the evening and I'm relieved to be home today.

Sticking with the Timeless .95 with Mike's Natural today, lathered with the TGN badger. More face than bowl lathered today, first pass had excellent lather but subsequent passes were modestly insufficent. I should have changed my expectations accordingly but I was headstrong.

Southbound pass was good and thorough today. Northbound I encountered challenges approaching the chin and goatee, my indecisiveness about my direction caused a couple weepers and negatively affected my attention to angle. I unwisely relathered for an ATG touchup. Results are pretty thorough but not as consistent as yesterday. Alum is more noticeable than yesterday also. I think my attention was wandering. Hoping I can harness the mindframe I brought to the 2/22 shave when I attempt again tomorrow.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
To better shaves! Ones where the blend of gusto and fear result in cautiously deliberate movement and whiskers fleeing your skin in adject terror.

To better shaves! Ones where the blend of gusto and fear result in cautiously deliberate movement and whiskers fleeing your skin in adject terror.
I often lose sight of the big picture--even my least-satisfying shaves are miles better than they used to be. Attentiveness, preparation, and better equipment and technique have taken me a long way from the irritation and weepers I formerly thought were "normal." But improvement is always possible. After more continuous shaves with the Timeless, I'll be curious to see what lessons I can apply to other razors.

Which two razors give you the least burn or weepers?
GameChanger .84-P has nearly the efficiency of the Timeless, but it's like bowling with bumpers--I have to try something truly stupid to get uncomfortable results. However when I have a good shave with the Timeless, fewer passes makes for less burn. I have not had much burn from the Timeless, just weepers when I'm not paying attention. Otherwise... when I don't seek BBS with the '66 Tech, I generally have a comfortable shave.

I'm thinking more specifically of shaving before my recent return to B&B--shaves of old with the Merkur34C, with significantly more blade irritation than I even realized. That, and vigorous brushing during face lathering. My first shaves with the GC were eye-opening, I had never shaved so close without any response from the alum afterword.

I feel like I should be able to get results and comfort from all my razors (stubbornness is basically my middle name). Like I said, I think rotating between too many razors is preventing me from learning about them individually. After extended trials, I may decide some razors simply don't agree with me--but I'm not quite there yet.

Anyway, it's not as nice of a photo as @flask28 but here's an idea of the snow accumulation at my house last night, the detached garage in the backyard:

IMG_4539.JPG

I feel like I'm back in Minnesota!

thombrogan

I feel like I should be able to get results and comfort from all my razors

It’s a very reasonable desire/demand. What may mess it up is each razor having different balance points, weights, handle dimensions, blade curvature, exposure, and gaps. They’re all “close enough” and yet the thinness of the razor edges will likely amplify those differences.

As a boring, hypocritical curmudgeon, my first suggestion can easily be predicted. However, we can skip suggestions from boring, old me and ask which practices will work across all your whisker snipping toys.

Thankfully, we’re in a community overstuffed with smart people, so lemme steal advice I should follow more than anyone else from @Mr. Shavington :

I always thought I wasn’t using pressure but I was actually using way too much. So I tend to advise people to use no pressure at all, then much less, and then a lot less than that. And then try to use much less pressure, and eventually you’ll realise you’re still using far too much pressure and it’s only at that point that you can really reduce the pressure and start to shave better.

I suspect applying that advice to each and every shave — to the point of skipping or delaying a shave if one’s brain just ain’t synapsing all good and stuff (told you I’m hypocritical) — would help you and possibly me able to use all the razors to good effect.

Just spitballing. We can find out, though.

thinness of the razor edges will likely amplify those differences
This is a way of thinking/phrasing that I had not considered before. You're absolutely correct. The tiny scale of the mechanical cutting edge of the blade would logically magnify the summation of a razor's physical qualities. I would hope that I have enough awareness and dexterity to manage the differences, but time will tell. By trying quasi-monogamy I expect the nuances between razors will become more apparent.

skipping or delaying a shave
4/7 days a week I can't skip. However, I think tempering my expectations for remaining exposed keratin would be wise. I have often chosen milder razors on days I lack the good thinkie brain, with mixed results--probably because one shave a week is not enough to "learn" a razor.

Could always improve on "less pressure" although the concept has never rung totally true for me. I understand not deforming the skin into the razor gap, but... surely some force (albeit very little) is needed to keep cutting surfaces against their intended target. I suspect when I'm trying to keep a super light hand, I do other dumb things with my grip and head angle that prevents good shaving. Or I mistake slowness for lightness... or conflate lightness, slowness, and bad angle to have a shave that feels tuggy and ineffective. Or I'm still shaving wrong, and someday I'll come back and read this, and say use less pressure duh!

Anyway, thanks for keeping me company @thombrogan while the wind keeps howling outside.

at my house last night, the detached garage in the backyard
So is the garage in the backyard of your house or is your house the garage in the backyard?! :lol::thumbup:

Very different weather from here. It is winter here, but could have been autumn too.

Great shave notes again DC.

Cheers,

Guido

@Guido75 I was hoping nobody would point out my clumsy wording... Fortunately my partner lets me sleep in the house. Usually.
Which is especially nice during weather like we're having.

IMG_4553 copy.jpg

Temps creeping into the 40s tomorrow and through the remainder of the weekend, hopefully things are thawing soon...

thombrogan

surely some force (albeit very little) is needed to keep cutting surfaces against their intended target.

You are more than 100% correct. Cutting is using force rupture an object in two or more pieces, so force is an A+ #1 requirement. The force needed to rupture a shaft of keratin engorged with water and attacked by the alkalinity of a soap or cream with a literal razor’s edge is going to less than the force needed to tickle a june bug’s antennae.

Trying to walk the talk, I went as light as I could with last night’s shave and, well, it was still too forceful, but gentler on a skin and a very close shave in most places.

The force needed
I composed a needlessly long reply to this, but theorizing is unnecessary--let's apply the idea to the shave. I was focused on intentional lightness over the last two days and have had much more comfortable results, with lots of closeness. The gospel is true. I thought I was not applying pressure. I could still apply less pressure.

Yesterday (2/24) it was MWF with my old Omega 49, still sticking with the Timeless .95--No weepers, very close, a very good shave. Deep and persistent whisker removal. Mindset was good. Wished I had exercised a touch more control with the razor, when I'm focusing on lightness I tend to hold the handle more lightly--in a way that feels moderately uncertain. Decoupling a sure grip from adding pressure is critical. Alum was detectable but not bracing.

Today, 2/25 I lathered my D.R. Harris Arlington stick with the Yaqi Silvertip. Did not soak the brush, the treated tips need no additional softening. Lather was slick but not as cushioned as I prefer, perhaps not loaded sufficiently. It was a partial face load/lather, in future I may cut slices off the stick and bowl lather.
Mindset and physical presence was less strong than yesterday, I had modest success keeping a light hand. Southbound pass felt comfortable, productive. I think that Southbound pass is actually the area that needs the most attention, it needs to be very productive to make subsequent passes successful. Northbound is comfortable but not as effective. One or two weepers formed, lather was looking weak so I loaded more product and rebuilt in the bowl. Final ATG touchup opened several other small weepers. Results are close but slightly inconsistent. Probably as good as I can possibly manage today. No detectable razor burn, alum was surprisingly mild. CeraVe + HydroBoost, splash of The Veg after the moisturizer is absorbed.

Partner just returned from traveling, and discovered she has COVID. Her symptoms are mild. Though I recently had the virus we're still going to proceed cautiously over the next few days--I have an upcoming trip to visit my elderly family, would hate to bring the virus into their home or postpone/cancel my trip.

thombrogan

Hoping your partner feels better very soon and you don’t share the malady she’s suffering — and you’ve recently weathered — with your family, @desertcat

The gospel is true.

Will check the ecclesiastical supplies stores for the @Mr. Shavington version of the good book.

I thought I was not applying pressure. I could still apply less pressure.

I knew I was applying pressure and everypony saying they didn’t was lying to themselves and others. Maybe because my favorite delusions were I was saving money and being gentler to my skin, it only slightly rankled me. For that we open the Book of Parentheses and quote:

it was easier to resist adding pressure when I understood it won’t help, and that the only reason my razor wasn’t cutting was because the angle was off, not because it needed pressure.

I think your shave with the Arlington-scented soap opened a related path for understanding:

How much water does a given amount of a particular soap or cream need to not interfere with the awareness of the blade’s edge while still providing slickness and hydration?

But these are unimportant in the bigger scheme of things. You’ve got to run to the pharmacy and some chicken noodle and some electrolyte drinks

2/26
Tired today. My partner is definitely taking a big hit from the virus, hoping she'll turn the corner soon. Seems likely that I will need to reschedule my trip to see my family--better safe than sorry.

Today's shave took place much later than usual, and given my physical/emotional state I set my expectations pretty low. Cella lathered with the Yaqi Tuxedo synth. Formed a very good lather today, seemed well balanced between slickness and cushion. Growth is around medium. Keeping lightness in the forefront of my attention, I shaved in silence today. Things started particularly well. Felt like the southbound pass was nearly effortless, while still being reasonably effective. Northbound I encountered familiar difficulties with stroke direction, and lightness was more challenging to maintain. I may revert to 3 pass patterns, this Northbound business is not working uniformly, especially in areas of denser whiskers. One or two small weepers formed, and I only found occasional moments of real closeness on the front of the chin--elsewhere was more like DFS/DFS+ but the shave was very comfortable. Alum had practically no response. Good enough for today.

everypony
@thombrogan your fandoms are showing ;)

not interfere with the awareness
I think I preferred thicker lathers for their cushioning when I was less focused on this whole "lightness" business. I think the Timeless .95 is aggressive enough that I'll have no difficulty noticing the blade, but other razors have presented challenges in this area. My less-successful attempt yesterday with D.R. Harris simply had insufficient product, if it was hydrated further I think it would've been far too thin to be useful. However... I have not played around much with looser/wetter lathers. Perhaps there's a synergistic quality between using less mechanical force and slicker, thinner lathers. Worth experimenting.

In any case, thank you @thombrogan for sharing the wisdom of the prophet @Mr. Shavington which I am finally just beginning to understand.

Although difficult to do with this particular virus hopefully you are able to give her some TLC.

As for the northbound pass, I find that going east and west with a slightly upward slant position ; so the razor is oblique to the direction of the pass (and therefore actually doing across and against the growth simultaneously) is very effective leading only cleanup for the northbound pass thus avoiding weepers. Particularly in chin and moustache areas this works well for me.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom