What's new

Eleven Years On

If I would have to guess I have seen a Karve CB in both brass and stainless steel. I am thinking the stainless steel one…unless you went overboard with a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. But I am sticking with Karve.

Cheers,

Guido

If I would have to guess I have seen a Karve CB in both brass and stainless steel. I am thinking the stainless steel one…unless you went overboard with a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods. But I am sticking with Karve.

Cheers,

Guido
My lips are sealed! Until tomorrow, if the postal service runs as expected.

I did shave today, but don't have much comment--'66 Tech with the installed Nacet, RR 400 Plissoft, MWF. Two passes, I noted some ingrowns from my week of close shaves. Blade was definitely not as keen. Skin was very delicate today, DFS/DFS+ result.

I used up all my verbosity at work, today's a day for rest--I'm sure I'll write a more detailed entry soon.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I used up all my verbosity

C2C30ABB-971C-4911-8E8D-A7D324990BCE.png

Introducing the newest member of the collection, drumroll please......

IMG_4502.jpg

The Stainless Steel Timeless .95 with scalloped and OC baseplates, scalloped head. Much gratitude to @Russrat for the sale.

IMG_4503.jpg

Looking forward to giving this one a try today! Notes to follow, of course. I know many members enjoy their Ti Timeless .95 (I'm looking at you, @Guido75 ) and this seems like a logical entry point into this tier of razor for me. Will I ever reach for another razor in my collection? Will my RAD ever be quenched???

DC!!! Who’s the man! And you went straight for the .95!:001_wub: How awesome you got both plates - easier to alternate. I would definitely start with the scalloped one. Plenty of aggression/effectiveness while still have some characteristics of a safety bar. I still want to give the OC a go, but I am good for now.

Barberpole handle also very nice. Great score, great score!

You can join Timeless Tuesdays now!

I am super happy for you. These are amazing razors and yes, RAD will be quenched and you are now faced with the same challenge I had: figuring out a rotation! 😁

ENJOY youyour shave!!

Guido

You promise?
Wait till you have had your first shave. I personally found/find it a crossover between a R41 and a R89.

Now I am guessing (and we now know by the way how that’s working for me!) that your GC84 will give the SS95 a run for it money, but I am giving the advantage to the Timeless nonetheless.

Can’t wait to read your report!

Cheers,

Guido

Introducing the newest member of the collection, drumroll please......

View attachment 1605516

The Stainless Steel Timeless .95 with scalloped and OC baseplates, scalloped head. Much gratitude to @Russrat for the sale.

View attachment 1605517

Looking forward to giving this one a try today! Notes to follow, of course. I know many members enjoy their Ti Timeless .95 (I'm looking at you, @Guido75 ) and this seems like a logical entry point into this tier of razor for me. Will I ever reach for another razor in my collection? Will my RAD ever be quenched???

Congratulations!! A fantastic choice at an AMAZING price - what a score!

Nice to see parts of the class of 2023 stepping up their game. I'm feeling the pressure now :)

2/13

First go with the SS Timeless .95, using the scalloped bar and a fresh AstraSP to get a baseline. Whipped Dog boar makes my lather today with Cella, primarily bowl lathered. Hot towel, Mozart, time to shave.

First impression, this razor is heavy. I instantly understand the appeal of titanium. After shaving I weigh it against my GC, the Timeless is ~35 grams more, 1/3rd heavier. The Southbound pass I can definitely detect blade, no shortage of aggression at this gap. My technique will require closer inspection. Still, given the firm blade clamping, I'm not having any chatter and don't get the impression the razor will bite unexpectedly. Around the mustache I note the substantial head of the razor makes it a little challenging to maneuver. I can't decide whether the mass of the razor is a benefit or a drawback, am I adding pressure or is the weight helping me stay delicate?
Heading into the Northbound pass, I try to maintain a slightly shallower angle. I struggle with some skipping on the chin, probably angled too shallow. Everything feels reasonably smooth but there's definitely lots of blade presence. After a full rinse I'm not satisfied with the neck and jawline, so I do a third more ATG pass in those areas and cleanup on the chin.
Alum is detectable but not more substantial than shaves earlier this week. Maybe one weeper under the chin, barely worth mentioning. I go with CeraVe for maximum moisture. Results are generally a quick BBS- but I missed a few whiskers in areas, and other areas are solidly BBS.

GC84 will give the SS95 a run for its money

Unfortunately I cannot compare it to the R41, but in regard to razors I've used: the .95 is no harsher than a high setting on the Slim, but the efficiency is massively better. Compared to my inaugural shave with the GameChanger .84, the Timeless is noticeably more challenging. I cannot understate how smooth and easy the GC shaved, from its very first use. However, today I had close results, in perhaps 1 less pass than the GC can manage. So I'd say your assessment is accurate @Guido75 especially when my familiarity with the Timeless increases.
I think the .95 is likely on the upper edge of aggression I can tolerate, at least for my current technical ability and routine of daily shaving. The razor demands thoughtfulness and attention. I regret not taking today's Northbound pass in a more fully-ATG direction, I think the aggression would reward that decision with an even closer result--but I'm just getting started, many opportunities to experiment are in the future. With no weepers or lingering irritation/blade burn, I'd say we're off to a reasonably good start.

Perhaps @Guido75 can weigh in--are there any blades you've used that don't work well in this razor?

Anyway, I'm off to try and regrow some whiskers. They don't stand much of a chance, especially now :devil:

2/14 SOTD: Timeless & Tech Tuesday

IMG_4506.jpg

Happy Valentine's day. Last afternoon's shave was pretty thorough, I don't have much growth today. I don't want to overdo the aggression, but I still want to increase my familiarity with the Timeless (and post in Timeless Tuesday lol) so I choose a 2-razor shave today, planning my Southbound pass with the Timeless .95 and Northbound/touchup with the '66 Tech. Keeping the blades the same (.95 has 1 shave on the AstraSP, Tech has 4 shaves on a Nacet). I choose the Silvertip Yaqi and Tabac for lather today.

I have an easier Southbound/XWTG pass today with the Timeless. The weight of the razor doesn't take me by surprise this time, although I'm still getting accustomed to the larger head, especially where the lower lip transitions into the chin. I find a better, more neutral angle throughout the pass, and though I can detect the blade it's a smoother start than yesterday.

Northbound with the Tech goes well, definitely less effective than the same strokes yesterday but smooth and easy. Trying to avoid adding pressure, given the differences in weight between the razors. I relather the chin and goatee and manage a very thorough finish by leaning toward ATG and being more persistent on the mustache. I don't bother with a full 3rd pass on the neck, just to give things a break. Alum finds little reaction, less than yesterday. HydroBoost completes the shave, lots of BBS/BBS- throughout.

Be well!

Last afternoon's shave was pretty thorough, I don't have much growth today. I don't want to overdo the aggression, but I still want to increase my familiarity with the Timeless (and post in Timeless Tuesday lol) so I choose a 2-razor shave today,

I.e., the awesome new razor had to be used!

You should just give in, go full @Guido75, and shave twice a day now - that's what the Timeless has done to him.

2/15

Felt compelled to reach for the '55 Red Tip today, lathered with Mike's Natural Barbershop and used the new Omega 49. The razor still contains an AstraSP with 1 prior shave.

Southbound pass felt particularly easy. I kept my angle a little shallower and the razor felt very comfortable and approachable. I think also coming off a couple shaves with the .95 I have a new perspective on "true" aggressive razors. I also wonder if I tightened the handle a little more than my first ride with the Red Tip.
Northbound is a slightly different story--upward on the cheeks it's equally easy, and I find myself feeling comfortable and perhaps too confident. While shaving my chin the razor skips (was I too shallow?) and nips me right in the center. Undeterred (but with renewed focus) I complete the pass and relather for the final ATG touchup on the goatee and jawline. Upward+Outward on the mustache I snag a whisker near the corner of the mouth and earn a tiny, yet persistent weeper. Overall a good reminder to stay focused and respectful of the razor. Alum is no more present than yesterday, I conclude with CeraVe mixed with a splash of Thayer's. DFS+/BBS- not quite as thorough as yesterday's Tech cleanup. Alum had little difficulty handling all the nicks.

I'm gaining familiarity with the Red Tip, but still need to approach it thoughtfully. Improved southbound angle increased smoothness without losing effectiveness, and I'm sure similar results can be achieved in the later parts of the shave. I appreciate its modest increase in efficiency over the Flare Tip.

I'm back! Real-life commitments took a priority in the last week. Though my writing was paused, shaving continued uninterrupted--I think the rotation was:

'66 Tech on 2/16 with fresh Nacet
2/17 FaTip Friday with fresh AstraSP.
2/18 GC.84-P (fresh AstraSP I think?)
2/19 Timeless .95 (same AstraSP)
2/20 GC.84-P

A few notes from those days. On 2/16 I was hoping to have a closer shave while still using the milder razor, but ended up chasing the whiskers. Stubble was thoroughly eliminated, but at a cost of some patchy redness and moderate irritation that I don't usually experience. The shave with the FaTip went better than last week's, I didn't get too fussy with blade installation and felt much smoother overall. After all the aggressive razors, my return to the GC.84 on 2/18 felt positively mild--almost too mild, the chin required some persistent buffing. Though I'm sure my technique could've been better to achieve a more thorough result with fewer strokes/passes.
Overall I had a week of close shaves, all with a reasonable amount of comfort. Comfort could still be improved.

I think I'm swapping razors too frequently. (Perhaps I have a touch of @Guido75 "razor abandonment anxiety") I have enough variety in the collection to have options for brush/lather, but I need to increase familiarity with each of these characters to grasp their nuances and get closer, comfortable results. Once a week is simply too infrequent to deepen my understanding. On the other hand, I worry that some (Timeless, FaTip) are excessively aggressive for daily use, unless I don't strive for BBS. So it will be a compromise either way.
Further, though the experiments with N->S and S->N passes have been interesting, I think those Northbound passes are not appropriate for every section of my face. I need to experiment with a different approach.

I would join FFFMM but that seems... excessively restrictive lol

2/21 SOTD
Went for the Timeless.95 with the same blade, Simpson Colonel X2L and Cella. Brush lathers nicely for its size, but I have to be cautious about pressure when applying--the bristles have backbone and abrasion. I will likely never face-lather with this brush, unless I have multiple days of growth/healthy skin.
My shave on 2/19 was more comfortable and successful. Today I pop a couple weepers and don't get anywhere as close of results. Perhaps the blade is showing some age, I recall the 2/19 shave feeling much more carefree. Today was laborious. Funny how the "difficult" shaves never get as close. How do I tap into the @Cal zen-mode?? I'll get there someday.

As I wrote earlier, I may stick with the Timeless this week (despite my fears about its aggression) just to increase my familiarity. It will test my attention and technique.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome back, desertcar! Glad to read you enjoyed many of your shaves.

I would join FFFMM but that seems... excessively restrictive

Rotation anxiety gets forced to the back-burner and technique-dialing/woodshedding has a chance to occur.

You don’t have to pick four thaings and stick with them — you get to more thoroughly learn the ins and outs and tricks of four products you only previously thought about in passing.

When I participate in such chicanery, my mind is all “fear of missing out” and “the grass is greener and closer shaved,” but that disappears during the shave itself. Maybe it will for you, too?

@thombrogan I'm being a curmudgeon today--I appreciate your positive reframing. With so little consecutive shaves on many of my razors (I think only the GameChanger and Tech have recently had that treatment) I think my fear of commitment outweighs my rotation anxiety...
Maybe it will for you, too?
Only one way to find out... I'll give it some thought during the last days of this month. I will be traveling in early March and stuck using a cart for a couple days, so I'd be bending the rules to participate.

Welcome back DC Desert Cat! Glad to read you are doing ok. I was wondering where you were just the other day so closure is my reward!

As for the anxiety yes it’s a bummer. For this month I have selected my least used razors and dedicate a week of shaving with each of those razors. With Mondays being reserved for my R41 and using my Timeless more or less alternating with the other razors. I now keep track of razor usage so I can build myself a rotation for the year. I think it will work out and I have noticed that even the meer act of designing a month rotation learns the anxiety. Might assist you too.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom