What's new

Electric assist bike suggestions?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just like the title says: I'd like some suggestions for an e-bike. I have congestive heart failure and need to exercise, but I can in no way peddle a bike anymore, lol, somedays it's a journey walking out to my mailbox! So I'd just like to get edjumikated in your experiences, knowledge, opinions, and suggestions.

Do not let your lack of any of the above in first hand knowledge hold you back! As you all know, my lack of knowledge has never kept me from posting in ANY thread. Thanks to all in advance, Dave

There's a lot of interest in these things nowadays. I've been thinking about converting an old Schwinn bike I have. You can buy kits that contain all the parts to do a conversion. So, you take an old bike that fits you well and convert it to make what you want, instead of buying a whole new e-bike. The kits I have seen are either mid-drive or rear drive. Mid-drive replaces the chain sprocket with another one that can be driven by the motor for pedal assistance. Rear drive replaces the rear wheel with a wheel that has a motor built in to the hub. Batteries can be mounted on a rack over the rear wheel, or in the frame.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't have any specific experience with e-bikes, but I have been an avid cyclist for a while. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the big bike brands like Trek, Specialized, etc. Pretty much all the bike shops are stocking e-bikes now. Head down to one and have them show you one or two and explain the features, etc. You should be able to sit on one and take it for a spin around the block or parking lot. The bike shop will cost more than online, but you can be confident everything is set up and adjusted right. Usually the shop will throw in a free service or two and give a discount for gear and clothes you buy with the bike, i.e. a helmet. And of course a good shop will back you up if anything goes wrong or you have a warranty issue.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Rented an e-bike and coasted along the St.Lawrence river on a trip to Quebec few years ago. Learned a few things. New bikes are lighter, my rental was a pig. New bikes have the most current battery systems and the best range, my old rental battery was half charged. Good going out, bad coming back. You will want the best battery you can get, especially if you will be relying on the electric assist more often. I agree with the above post, a bike shop that has some models to check out and test ride. Lots of good features on the new bikes, but some extra choices to consider a well. I found some good e-bike reviews online with video explaining some of the basic things to look for. Then, just open up your wallet and have fun!

I have heard tale of car starters and even electric drills being mounted with a friction type drive against the rear wheel. If you are a tinkering type..... LOL

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the responses thus far! For some reason I thought I'd go with an online purchase. But now?

I'm pretty sure I will visit and buy from a brick and mortar place. They would be more than likely able (and willing) to make me happy....

I've got a couple old mopeds....just tired of the noise of a two cycle motor.

Thanks for the responses thus far! For some reason I thought I'd go with an online purchase. But now?

I'm pretty sure I will visit and buy from a brick and mortar place. They would be more than likely able (and willing) to make me happy....

I've got a couple old mopeds....just tired of the noise of a two cycle motor.
In some instances, you just cannot put a price on being able to see/feel/test something in person and if you happen to find someone who knows a bit about the product, well that is a plus too. And on something that may need some support after the sale, in person is the way to go as well. Good luck and for sure let us know what you end up with!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you want it this year go sooner rather than later. The bike market has been nuts since last spring and some shops will not be getting new bikes until next years models come out in the fall, and even those are being pre sold.

Go you!

Strongly advise test riding a few at a real shop with people who care about getting you on an appropriate bike.

We have three, all pedelecs. If you don't pedal, you don't get any assist — but when you pedal you are mysteriously fit and athletic in *addition* to, in your case, being inconceivably handsome. They are *fantastic* for getting exercise without stressing yourself.

I also prefer pedelecs because they feel very natural with their assist. At least the Bosch systems I'm familiar with. The system uses an algorithm that factors torque, speed, and cadence to deliver assist in a very natural way. You can work harder by choosing less assist, or just put it in Turbo and take all the help it will offer, but unlike throttle bikes you basically never have the experience of the bike leaping off and/or surprising you. I first got interested and started researching e-bikes when a dog-world acquaintance listed his ebike for sale, posting a picture of the bike along with a photo of his leg in a cast saying that e-biking wasn't for him. Turns out his bike had a throttle and he lost control of it. Accidents can happen to anyone, on anything, but with a pedelec you are more likely to just forget to put your foot down when you stop and tip over like Benny Hill on a tricycle. Or so I've heard.

They can be crushingly expensive, but there are models at many price points. In our sixties and not being as bendy as we used to be, we chose step-through models to future-proof them, flexibility-wise.

My first ebike was a very small but mighty mid-tail cargo bike (a Tern GSD). Cargo bikes are surprising handy and I used mine for an 18 mile round trip commute before I retired. My wife's is Class 1 pedelec, with assist limited to 20 mph. She hates to go fast and uses her brakes a lot. Brakes? On a hill? Why? My main bike is a Class 3 pedelec that assists up to 28 mph. I'm not insane (OK, fine, vote on it), but after a lifetime of motorcycling I still enjoy a little groundspeed at times.

E-bikes are extremely popular and there may be wait times to get the right bike. Have fun, get some exercise. We're lucky to have a couple of great shops in town and one of the people I spoke with said, "Most people find they ride *more frequently* and *farther* on e-bikes than on regular bikes. I found that to be true.

For reviews of practically every ebike, see Best Electric Bikes | Unbiased, In-Depth Reviews | ElectricBikeReview.com - https://electricbikereview.com.

Wait, I’m confused: How is riding an electric motorcycle a form of exercise??

I mean before the battery dies. I’ve had enough experience pushing broken down, or out of gas, bikes to know how much work that is.

How is riding an electric motorcycle a form of exercise?
These are bicycles. You pedal them. The feeling is a bit like as you pedal the invisible hand of Bosch (or whatever) is gently at your back giving you gentle, almost unnoticeable, support.

For example in one motor in Eco mode as you push the pedal down the motor reads how much torque you are applying and adds 40% more. In another mode it might add 160% assist to your stroke. In Turbo mode it might add 300%. You are still working, even hard, but your payback in force applied to the crank is greater than it otherwise would be without the assist. I still gear down mightily for hills, but with assist as I pedal up the hill its as if my legs were 300% stronger.

Yes, I do know what an e-bike is, but I have never seen anyone getting actual exercise on one on the street.

Also, the OP stated that in no way could he pedal.

They are everywhere here where I live. In some countries (and probably here too) the ridership skews heavily toward the senior end of the spectrum as it extends healthy mobility. I took Farmer Tan's comment to mean he could not/would not pedal an "acoustic' bike. I might be wrong. I was wrong once before. :)

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
They are everywhere here where I live. In some countries (and probably here too) the ridership skews heavily toward the senior end of the spectrum as it extends healthy mobility. I took Farmer Tan's comment to mean he could not/would not pedal an "acoustic' bike. I might be wrong. I was wrong once before. :)
Me too.

New York Times had an article in the last couple of weeks about a study that showed that people can get exercise benefits with an eBike

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Here you go @FarmerTan doesn’t took too hard.
1623197633175.jpeg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have never noticed them until seeing one last summer in Colorado. I recall it looking kind of odd with the big fat down tube, but did recognize the brand as I'd had a couple Treks long ago ..

I just looked at their webpage for Mountain E-Bikes. Holey moley, those things cost more than all 3 motorcycles I once owned put together!!!!!

Yes, I do know what an e-bike is, but I have never seen anyone getting actual exercise on one on the street.

Also, the OP stated that in no way could he pedal.
He has some congestive heart failure. He needs exercise to strengthen his heart and circulatory system, but he has to take it easy as he gets stronger.

An e-bike would require some effort, but helps you out on the tougher parts of the ride. That can encourage people to ride longer distances and longer amounts of time.

Top Bottom