What's new

Edge pro (6"x1") format stones for razor?

Smallest I've ever honed on was 40x40mm and 10x75mm. I mean... in general any size will work until eventually you start moving the hone on the razor. It all depends on how comfortable you are. I could touch up daily on something that small... and would if I found a miracle hone that only existed in that size (had a 50x50 back in the day I thought might be a cutlers green from out of an old barbers bag... so tried it a few times) I might, at least. But the 40x40 and 10x75 were coticule and arkansas... so no reason to use something that small. It's a lot less annoying using a normal sized hone.

With respect to the edge pro pieces... aren't they ridiculously expensive for the size?

Some of those 6x1" 'system' stones are $$$ per square inch but sometimes they're still notably less than buying a full hone.
I had a set of Coe's stones like that from Jende....just wanted to try them out. Price was about 1/2 or less of full size hones would have been at the time. Glad I went that route too.

People have been trying to save money honing razors by using cut-down stones for ages. Larry Whipped Dog was cutting down CHUGs and Nortons long time ago. The frugality thing is a thing I guess.

Top Bottom