What's new

Edge pro (6"x1") format stones for razor?

I find narrower stones easier to make sure the entire edge is covered compared to the typical 3 inch full size water stone.

Is the edge pro format too small for razors? I would use it in a rubber stone holder or hand held.

Legion

Staff member
That size would be fine for a finisher, I’ve used smaller. I’d probably want something a little wider for bevel setting, but it could be done.

Yes, finisher is what I have in mind. I'm looking at a 1/0 resin diamond stone. My current finest grits are SP5k and king 6k.

Legion

Staff member
Yes, finisher is what I have in mind. I'm looking at a 1/0 resin diamond stone. My current finest grits are SP5k and king 6k.
The old Thuringian “celebrated water stones”, and razor stones of that nature were 5x1”. It wasn’t that uncommon, back in the day. Big razor hones, much like 3” wide strops, are a fairly new thing and certainly not necessary if you know what you are doing.

I find narrower stones easier to make sure the entire edge is covered compared to the typical 3 inch full size water stone.

Is the edge pro format too small for razors? I would use it in a rubber stone holder or hand held.
Nah, it's not too small. Use stay strokes but 1" x 6" is the same size as those white Tam sticks a lot of us use. I prefer smaller or narrower stones to the big slabs that are popular.

Yup, it can be done, stones are a little small but work as finishers. I put small stones on another large stone in a rubber Steelex with a 8X3 inch piece of rubber drawer liner between them to hold the small stone in place. I am not a hand holding fan.

Most folks hone on only about 3-4 inches of stone, (watch some honing videos), but the width is more challenging than the length, but can be done.

I agree Diamond Resin Stones leave a harsh edge. I do not have 1um/15k stones), but have 6k & 8K Naniwia Resin Bonded stone and while they can make mirror bevels, shaving edges are harsh.

I honed 3 razors a couple days ago, with these stone and they do cut like blazes, I set bevels, ( had no bevels, all came off the buffers) with a 800 King, straight to a 6k Naniwia Diamond to a mirror bevel and keen edge in about 40 circles and 20-30 X laps, finished on a Jnat for smoking edges. Some folks can shave off diamonds, I am not one of them.

They make great pre- finish stones for razors and finish deburring stones for knives.

I agree Diamond Resin Stones leave a harsh edge. I do not have 1um/15k stones), but have 6k & 8K Naniwia Resin Bonded stone and while they can make mirror bevels, shaving edges are harsh.
Even the Poltava metallic-bonded 15K CBN stone makes an edge whose comfort can be bettered by any natural finisher, or by any of the usual well-regarded synthetic finishers, even though CBN should be more comfortable than diamond (due to abrasive particle shape), and metallic-bonded should be more comfortable than resin (due to less abrasive exposure).

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A lot of vintage European stones are narrow, slates, coticules, etc

I never understood this, especially English slates. They paved roads, built buildings, roofed with slate, but try to find a razor stone 3” wide, as wide as your razor and you’re pretty much out of luck. Go figure.

Want a narrow stone? As @rhgg2 said, Shapton G7. Get the G7 holder, it’s art deco.

even though CBN should be more comfortable than diamond (due to abrasive particle shape)
From my research the main advantage of CBN is heat resistance in high speed environments. At the this particle size, I'm not sure a slightly different shaped abrasive particle would be too significant.

I kind of moved away from the 160x25 mm resin diamond idea to a 200x40 mm metallic bonded diamond 1/0 stone. The bigger size will be more useful if I decide to use it to deburr knives. It'll be from Poltava.

I never understood this, especially English slates. They paved roads, built buildings, roofed with slate, but try to find a razor stone 3” wide, as wide as your razor and you’re pretty much out of luck. Go figure.
Perhaps the prevalence of mini warps in razors is the reason. If most razors had some warps, then smaller stones would be more popular.

Particle shape can have major impact on the feel of a finished edge, even with sub-sub-micron abrasives.
The difference between .1 mono and .1 poly diamond is significant, for example.

With honing, there really are no rules, so anything goes. Me, personally, I would not choose to use a 1" wide stone for bevel setting ever, and would only use a 1" wide stone for finishing if there was no other option. I just don't like the feel; 45mm and wider is what I look for. Can I use 1" stones? Sure. Do I want to? No. Will I? Only If I have to or if I just want to test something out.

I've had a bunch of Edge Pro stones over the years. Mostly just for trying stuff out. Have had Shapton G7s and 1x6 Eschers too. Lots of skinny Coti bouts, a 25mm Charnwood and a few other narrow stones too.
A smaller stone can cost a lot less so it can be a good way to test things out.

I'm looking at a 1/0 resin diamond stone.
I have a Venev 1/0 resin diamond plate. This is not suitable for razor in my opinion.
I have a set of these plates. They are grate for chip removal, and sets the edge up quite good for a finisher.
One advantage is that these plates does not eat up your tape like other coarser stone does.
I used one to restore an old razor just to test it's potential. I removed the chips and created the ground work for a jnat finisher just with one plate. The plate was around 2k.
I only had to change tape once.

Legion

Staff member
I use this one semi regularly, and it works just fine, despite being under 1” wide (about 2cm at its widest). It’s a nice stone to use, and great for a travel stone.

IMG_7152.jpeg

Legion

Staff member

Want a narrow stone? As @rhgg2 said, Shapton G7. Get the G7 holder, it’s art deco.
They valued the X stroke a lot more back then than now. I tend to agree with them.

I have a Venev 1/0 resin diamond plate. This is not suitable for razor in my opinion.
I have a set of these plates. They are grate for chip removal, and sets the edge up quite good for a finisher.
Thanks for the feedback.

We talked about this in another thread, but I'm only shaving with my scienceofsharp edges right now, so I don't actually need grits higher than 6k. The bottleneck is definitely my shaving skill, and muscle memory, not my edges.

At some point, I'll try finer stones. I'll have other uses for this stone if it doesn't work out for razors.

Reactions: JPO

For those smiling blades my friend.

Top Bottom