What's new

EDC Change-Season change.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
But back to your originally scheduled program....

No, I carry the same thing no matter the season.

Colt Cobra usually goes in a jeans pocket, and so does the Charter Arms Bulldog Classic unless the Bulldog goes in an IWB. Colt 1911 goes Mexican carry. Summer is polo shirt untucked and winter is usually under a waist length leather bomber jacket. I even carry a SAA under an untucked polo shirt and no one has ever seemed to have noticed.

The other various handguns receive the same treatment.

I spent a couple of decades carrying a G19 at 4:30 on the hip in a Uncle Mike’s soft holster and was plenty happy with that set up year around in a jacket & jeans in cold weather or shorts and a T in hot weather.

And I could run & gun with the best of em’.

Then when I got closer to retirement, I switched to the G43X and naturally, put it in an Uncle Mike’s behind the hip also.

View attachment 1544293

But hanging out here in this forum with other gun enthusiast fella’s, one tends to get a bit influenced by what they like also. So, I decided to go Uncle Mike’s IWB in shorts and T when it’s hot and Mitch Rosen Leather OWB when it’s cold and I can conceal under a jacket or coat.

View attachment 1544301

Now That I have been retired for a bit, I’ve been getting in shape and have lost all of the tummy overhang from a bad diet and being stuck behind an admin desk, so I have now been able to add AIWB to my concealed carry options.

Lot’s of people don’t like Uncle Mike’s soft IWB holsters for any type carry, but I have never been the type to always swim down stream with the other fish, if I find something that really works for me; and UM’s soft holsters have just plain worked for me.

As long as I carried it at 4:30. AIWB? Not so much. I purchased a kydex holster with a soft back, more of a hybrid really, for the wife a few months back so she could run thru a tactical concealed carry class with one of her girlfriends who was also taking it. She did really well in the class and likes the holster from StealthGearUSA, so I picked one up also, for me and my 43X.

I didn’t like it. She likes hers and the double clip on each side, but I guess I’m just a minimalist at heart so I returned mine. It’s hard to find a comfortable kydex holster for AIWB? It’s got to be thin, yet tough and low profile without a bunch of sharp edges and corners. I went thru a few eBay kydex holster’s and returned them all.

I was about to give up on my impossible search and just go back to the UM’s behind the hip, but I had been seeing videos and reading in the forums about a local holster company in my state in Tulsa Ok called Tulster. So on a desperate whim, without knowing anything about them, I ordered one for the G43X.

They are only one, of a very few kydex holster makers who will make you a holster for a pistol that has a under attached weapons light. Lot’s of companies make them for duty holster’s, but there ain’t too many that do it for concealed carry pistols.

I love it. Thin, lightweight, rigid, great retention and draw capabilities along with easy re-holsters. No sharp edges and the edges of the holster are smooth and cut back to a minimalist standard. Even the back shield or sweat guard doesn’t stick up 3 inches above the pistol like many others, poking and jabbing you in the gut when bending over or sitting down.

I like it so much, I have seriously been considering throwing away my Uncle Mike’s holsters. And I have been carrying UM’s for more then 20 years. :)

View attachment 1544322
Which NR/size is that Uncle Mikes? Does the clip hold the holster in the pants or does it come out with it sometimes?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Which NR/size is that Uncle Mikes? Does the clip hold the holster in the pants or does it come out with it sometimes?

I used the same size 15 for my G19 and G43X with Streamlight’s TLR-6 laser/light combo.

A size 12 fits the G43X without the tlr-6, but with it, the extra width fits nicely into the same 15 size as a G19 with no light.

The UM holster never comes out when drawing the pistol from behind my hip at 4:30. The clip keeps it on the belt and the IWB between my body and the pants and belt give it quite a bit of natural retention that it stays put unless I purposely draw it.

UM’s and AIWB, doesn’t work for me, because the front torso and stomach area where aiwb is carried is softer and more flexible then the back and hip at 4:30. While the firm background of hip carry works with the soft, comfortable flexibility of the UM holster, I find it’s flexiblity doesn’t match with with the also softer and more flexible mid section of aiwb carry.

But the contrasting rigidity of kydex against a softer and more flexible t front torso of aiwb makes for a better foundation to draw from and re-holster to.

OKS

I am a huge kydex fan...even when they break...and they always do. Simply the cost of doing business. Still using kydex 95% of the time.

As such, I have an old Eagle Industries (sewn in STL way back in the day) "universal" nylon IWB that rides in my EDC pack just in case. It takes up no room and weighs nothing.

Save that UM "suede" softy in your EDC bag, back of the glove box, bottom of the map pocket etc. It just might come in handle for that on trip home. Perhaps put your nightstand gun in it etc?

Food for thought. FWIW/YMMV

OkieStubble

OKS

I am a huge kydex fan...even when they break...and they always do. Simply the cost of doing business. Still using kydex 95% of the time.

As such, I have an old Eagle Industries (sewn in STL way back in the day) "universal" nylon IWB that rides in my EDC pack just in case. It takes up no room and weighs nothing.

Save that UM "suede" softy in your EDC bag, back of the glove box, bottom of the map pocket etc. It just might come in handle for that on trip home. Perhaps put your nightstand gun in it etc?

Food for thought. FWIW/YMMV

Nightstand and EDC bag are great ideas!

I used the same size 15 for my G19 and G43X with Streamlight’s TLR-6 laser/light combo.

A size 12 fits the G43X without the tlr-6, but with it, the extra width fits nicely into the same 15 size as a G19 with no light.

The UM holster never comes out when drawing the pistol from behind my hip at 4:30. The clip keeps it on the belt and the IWB between my body and the pants and belt give it quite a bit of natural retention that it stays put unless I purposely draw it.

UM’s and AIWB, doesn’t work for me, because the front torso and stomach area where aiwb is carried is softer and more flexible then the back and hip at 4:30. While the firm background of hip carry works with the soft, comfortable flexibility of the UM holster, I find it’s flexiblity doesn’t match with with the also softer and more flexible mid section of aiwb carry.

But the contrasting rigidity of kydex against a softer and more flexible t front torso of aiwb makes for a better foundation to draw from and re-holster to.
Thanks for the good info; ordered a #15.

OkieStubble

Thanks for the good info; ordered a #15.
If you don’t have any previous experience with Uncle Mike’s, here is a personal preview and a few user tips, pro’s and con’s from someone who used it for 25 years as a back up concealment holster when off duty and in plainclothes.

Uncle Mike’s soft suede IWB holster’s, has always been very un-popular with many If not most knowledgeable gun enthusiasts who carry concealed. However, in my personal opinion, it’s only because it has been a very misunderstood holster and way of carry by most.

Many who carry a concealed holster for self defense, understandably desire to not only quickly draw from their holster, but they also desire to want to re- holster their defensive carry.

Re- holstering a pistol in an Uncle Mike’s holster is thought to be difficult in most peoples minds unless they perfectly understand it’s ‘purpose of use’ (POU). Once it’s POU is understood, one is able to ‘think outside the box’ when re-holstering.

So, to the typical carry person, they see an Uncle Mike’s soft suede holster as a holster that will collapse and go flat in the waist band, which is true. They also see a holster, that cannot be re- holstered one- handed, because the holster collapsed and went flat. Which is also true.

These true things have never been a hindrance to me, because I clearly understand not only the POU of an UM’s holster, but also the tactical necessities and the non-necessities and the possible dynamics or lack thereof; in a strictly self defensive application.

I would suggest, that most concealed carry holsters, not just an Uncle Mike’s, that are designed and meant to conceal carry under a shirt or jacket or coat or other; Regardless if it’s kydex, leather, with a rigid open top or not IWB, OWB or AIWB, are not designed for or meant, to be used in a dynamic tactical way, where the user is running around and shooting fast while moving and re- holstering one handed under stress and with speed.

It just will never be, tactically necessary in a civilian self defense scenario or situation, period. Unless it is a military or law enforcement duty holster, which are designed in order to weapons transition between long gun and handgun? Or when Re- holstering in order to take a suspect into custody?

There will never be a reason, a civilian in a self defense shooting, will have to,

1. Re/holster their pistol lightening fast!

2. Re/ holster their pistol too soon.

3. Re/ holster their pistol without looking first.

4. Re/ holster their pistol absolutely one handed, especially when their concealment garment or shirt jacket is covering their holster.

5. No matter the type, OWB, IWB, AIWB or brand or material, leather, kydex or even A soft suede Uncle Mike’s, there is simply no reason, to tactically stick the barrel of a loaded gun, that close to your body, without carefully looking and using both hands to check and double check after a self defense shooting.

Understanding all of this allows one who thinks of a UM’s soft collapsing holster not as a negative but possibly as a positive?

1. It’s thin, light, and extremely comfortable. Probably the most comfortable holster money can buy.

2. Speaking of money? It’s probably the cheapest holster money can buy.

3. It covers the trigger guard just like any other holster. And because it’s soft & pliable, it conforms to the hip and allows the belt to cinch and snug it and the pistol against the side for excellent retention of the pistol. People who say it will fall out while moving, don’t have any experience with them or used them improperly.

4. A pistol being drawn from an UM’s is smooth, and extremely efficient and very quiet.

5. As a civilian In a self defense situation, I’m going to keep my pistol out and pointed at the downed perpetrator until police arrive.

6. Once I see them pulling up on scene? I’m probably going to set the pistol down and back up, allowing them to feel safe while securing the scene.

7. And on the rare occasion you actually need to re-holster your pistol in an Uncle Mike’s that has gone flat and collapsed over your back rear pocket?

8. Then just simply do what I did for 25 years. I am right handed. My Uncle Mike’s IWB and Glock 23 sat behind my hip over my back rear pocket on my right hand side.

When re/holstering, I simply took my left arm and hand, behind my back and hooked the holsters plastic clip that hung over my belt with my fingers on my left hand. The holster is flat, so it pulled very easily up and out. I then put my G23 back into the holster and then reached around my front right side and stuck the holster and pistol together, back in my right side pants and slid it back in place over my rear pocket. All in a matter of seconds.

Uncle Mike’s holsters while cheap, last surprisingly a long time. I’ve replaced a few over the years, but they pay for themselves and then some.

:)

Last edited:
Getting colder here in Illinois. I usually carry my Micro 9 in an OWB in the summer, but now I'm carrying my 1911 more. I have always been interested in a should holster (since I wear a cover garment all the time). I just ordered a Miami Classic and can't wait to see how it works out.

OkieStubble

Getting colder here in Illinois. I usually carry my Micro 9 in an OWB in the summer, but now I'm carrying my 1911 more. I have always been interested in a should holster (since I wear a cover garment all the time). I just ordered a Miami Classic and can't wait to see how it works out.

Great to see you posting here again Preach! :). Always enjoy your posts.

I too am looking for a shoulder set up for my 1911. The Miami Classic is a Classic! :)

I got Miami Classic and it is great. Took some time to get it adjusted properly, but this far is very comfortable and my weapon is accessible (even seated). I carry 2 spare mags on my weak side. I need to get some range time in, but 15 hour overnight shifts are a killer for us old fat guys.

Top Bottom