What's new

Duty Belt for a Female Officer?

Well, I can honestly say I haven't seen this posted before!

Evening, gentlemen! Figured I'd ask here since there are many members of law enforcement who may have better knowledge of where to find the best quality gear; maybe some of you even have female relatives or significant others in LE.

Anyway, I have a friend who just passed academy; this past week was her first on the job. She's having a problem with her duty belt, though; it's just a men's belt that was sized down. It doesn't fit well at all and she thinks it could become a safety or even a health hazard eventually.

I'm aware of the Sally Browne belts, but I'm looking for as many options as possible. She's a small girl: 5'3, tiny waist but shapely hips. I'm thinking she'd prefer leather but nylon and other options are welcomed, too. Are there any semicustom/custom makers for belts like this or is she pretty much stuck with the bigger companies?

I know this might be an unusual question, but really would appreciate any support! Thanks, guys.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is it the belt itself or the way it positions the grip of the duty weapon? I've heard they make holsters for women that have more of an outward cant to accommodate the curve of women's hips. I'm sure she's using belt keepers.

If it's leather it should form after a bit; you said it's only been a week. We used to have a female Reserve but I have no idea what she used. There is currently a female Deputy here...I could ask her next time I see her.

With there being more and more female officers these days I'm sure there are a bunch more options now than there were several years ago.

I do not remember where, but I have seen such belts cut more to fit a woman's waist/hips. Look maybe at Safariland or Bianchi products,or even El Paso Saddlery.

I would interface with Safariland on Mon. They outfit more officers than all others combined.

I strongly suspect she is going to need to type of adapter which drops the ride height and offsets the holster outward for a more neutral presentation position. Otherwise, I fear that her holster is going to cant inward along the curve of her hip making aquiring a full firing grip at speed very problematic.

With certain body and holster types, it can be nearly impossible for a "hippy" woman to present the weapon at speed because the holster is so high on the waist, canted inward that the officer lacks the physical ability to pull the weapon up high enough to cleanly clear the holster before driving the weapon forward along the eyesight track toward the target.

FBOW, this may be just the beginning of her coming out of pocket to buy gear that works for her. IE, a drop leg holster for a tazer so as to free up already precious space along the waist line, one cuff or a double cuff case v. 2 singles, gloves in a pocket or around an ankle v. on the belt line etc.

As an aside, I would be interested in the type/caliber of weapon she is carrying and what leeway she may have with that now, or after some type of probationary period.

I would suspect both the holster and the belt. Retention rigs are not forgiving. Before considering finding her a belt, you need to check her department's SOP on uniform modifications to see what she is approved to wear. I know that f very few agencies whose officers much latitude there. The belt also needs to play nice with her holster.

My best advice would be for her to check with other female officers in her agency to see what they use. If that doesn't help, feel free to PM me and I will ask around for you. My sister is a state trooper and academy instructor, and two of my jobs put me in contact with several LE agencies where I can ask around.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, I forgot to ask...what brand is the belt? If it's a major manufacturer like Safariland, Bianchi, Galco, etc. etc. it should be good leather. And the belt needs to be stiff.

I have had GREAT experiences with El Paso Saddlery leather. There are many other manufacturers that also make great stuff.

This one in the pic. below is an El Paso Saddlery rig I've had since the late '80s. It could use a bit of shoe polish on the belt, but it is still as serviceable as the day I got it. The only thing that changed over the years was the holster for the different duty weapons I was using, along with the addition of ASP baton holders, O.C. spray holders, etc. Sorry for the bad pic. that is a little out of focus.

attachment.php

This kind of reminds me of an old, old, old Border Patrol joke I've heard concerning the stiff Campaign hats they were issued. "If you get a hat that doesn't fit, that's bad. But your head will eventually conform to the shape of the hat."

Her hips should eventually conform to the shape of the belt. :001_smile

Let us know how this turns out...interesting subject.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would interface with Safariland on Mon. They outfit more officers than all others combined.

I strongly suspect she is going to need to type of adapter which drops the ride height and offsets the holster outward for a more neutral presentation position. Otherwise, I fear that her holster is going to cant inward along the curve of her hip making aquiring a full firing grip at speed very problematic.

+1 on Safariland. I would have to disagree on the lower ride holster. I have had the responsibility of creating the specs at our regional police supply, for female uniforms and gear, including vests. From personal experience, I can attest, that most if not all petite female officers with smaller waist to hip ratios, who have came thru our academy, have geared up and spec'd out with "high ride" holsters.

The trick to this is adding spacers to their holster between the actual holster and the attached, belt frame of the holster. These spacers will cant the grip of the duty weapon out and away from the waist and bringing the weapon and holster inline with her inseam and proper drawing and presentation angles from said holster.

Most petite or smaller officers, do not have the arm length for low ride holsters. While smaller male officers can use mid length, Again, from my experience, most if not all petite female officers, benefit the most from the high ride position with spacer kits added for canting.

@OP, Here is a link from Safariland, where the spacer kits for female officers can be ordered.

https://www.safariland.com/holsters-and-gear-resources/womens-duty-gear.html

https://www.safariland.com/products...spacer-kits/customize-hardware-kit-23167.html

Last edited:
Awesome answers, guys, keep the suggestions coming!

She's on duty right now so I'll ask more specific questions when she gets off work.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah Old School, keep us posted. The leather just may need a little breaking in...and maybe her also. No offense. More details would be helpful.

One place I worked (that issued everything but your socks, shoes, and underwear)...for the blazer/slacks uniform the Chief went with the Strong brand pancake holsters for under the blazer. They were VERY stiff (and probably the low bid, but good holsters that last) and the grip of my issued Model 65 would poke me in the ribs BIG TIME...even with the Pachmayr rubber grips I had on it (the grips were the only thing you were allowed to change on your issued weapon). After awhile the heavy, stiff leather broke in and it became comfortable...that or my ribs conformed. :lol:

Top Bottom