What's new

Need A Recommendation, Funny Twist To It Too. 😉

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Renting an AR is a good idea! Many first time AR shooters are uncomfortable with the proper forward positioning of the head in relation to the stock, trying to keep the head back away from the charging handle. That rearward position makes sight alignment difficult. She needs to know that the recoil won't hurt her, and that her nose should be close to the charging handle. Some AR shooters actually put their nose touching the charging handle and don't get "punched in the nose". YMMV.

I am a ‘nose to the charging handle’ type of guy. I haven’t had any trouble with the recoil punching me in the face and I get the exact same cheek weld and sight picture every time, iron sights or optics. It also helps maintain the proper eye distance of your scope doesn’t have 3 or 4 inches of eye relief to play with.

The only con is I can get a snort full of hot gas if I’m shooting fast. :)

OkieStubble

I took the President of my HOA to the range and let him handle and shoot one of my AR’s. He’s 80 years old and really doesn’t handle his 9mm he has for home defense very well. He walks alot and seems in good enough shape, but his upper torso and arms are thin, weak and frail.

He thought he might like an AR, but had no experience with one. He shot from the bench fine, but it just seemed to heavy and awkward for him to shoulder and shoot steady in standing. He just wasn’t solid enough to provide a solid platform throughout his legs, hips and shoulders.

Plus he just couldn’t get past the loud and forceful muzzle blast; and I made sure he had plugs and muffs on.

I kind of had a feeling this would be the probability, so I also brought along the Ruger 10-22 with some BX-25 magazines and some high velocity bull ammo.

Let me tell you; his little old eyes lit up! He had a smile on his face and was punching small groups into a boogeyman silhouette. :)

In his mind, his self defense firearm troubles were over. Him and his wife purchased a 10-22 and vortex red dot the next day.

While it’s not an ideal self defense firearm, it was so much easier, better and safer for all involved, for me to teach him how to handle, shoot, reload, and work malfunction drills for him and his wife with that 10-22 then it was his 9mm with his weak arms and grip.

He just looked much more viable with the Ruger 10-22 then his 9mm pistol or my AR.

The neighborhood is pretty safe and the odds of him using it is low. And the odds of him and his wife getting to the range and keeping up practice is much better since they really enjoyed it.

If the OP’s significant other hasn’t shot a rifle, maybe break her in on a Ruger 10-22 getting her comfortable and then work up to an AR? It’s what I did with my wife, cuz she isn’t a gun person.

But you should see her handle her Colt LE6920. Pretty impressive for a little lady of almost 60 years. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another option for those who are intimidated by or find the standard AR too heavy, is a Pistol Caliber Carbine. These can be AR based or proprietary, like the Ruger PCC. They are relatively light weight, compact and a hoot to shoot. Many can use magazines from a pistol you may already own. A pistol and carbine combo is a very practical setup for close range encounters.

IMG_1942 (1).JPG

AR based PCC "pistol" using Glock magazines. If not a viable option in your jurisdiction, then a 16in. barrel and a real buttstock would be nearly as handy.

Last edited:
Renting an AR is a good idea! Many first time AR shooters are uncomfortable with the proper forward positioning of the head in relation to the stock, trying to keep the head back away from the charging handle. That rearward position makes sight alignment difficult. She needs to know that the recoil won't hurt her, and that her nose should be close to the charging handle. Some AR shooters actually put their nose touching the charging handle and don't get "punched in the nose". YMMV.

Very true. I showed her the proper position of placing the rifle up high and close, she found it ‘counter intuitive’. I found it quite natural and comfortable for sighting. At least she’s thinking about giving the process another try.

I've been involved with ARs for over 20 years. When I first started, I went with the NTCH position and it worked well for me. But, over time my eyesight deteriorated and I now wear bifocals. I also have a herniated disk in my neck so I don't have the flexibility that I once had. For these reasons and others, I've had to adjust. I now pull my stock out a couple of notches, about the length of an A1 stock, and I raise the butt a little higher on my shoulder. This allows my neck to be a little straighter and I'm not looking over my glasses anymore. I still position my cheek at the same place on my stock as before, now it's just a little farther back.

I guess where I'm going with this is, shoot the way it's most comfortable you, just practice and be consistent. Shooting an AR is a lot more enjoyable for me now that I'm not fighting it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I too have cervical disc issues and I find myself backing off from the NTCH position slightly these days. I also tend to use LPVOs and shoot both eyes open with these and backing off from the NTCH position seems to work well. When shooting from the bench with higher powered optics, I crawl closer to the optics, but it can become uncomfortable over time.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I've been involved with ARs for over 20 years. When I first started, I went with the NTCH position and it worked well for me. But, over time my eyesight deteriorated and I now wear bifocals. I also have a herniated disk in my neck so I don't have the flexibility that I once had. For these reasons and others, I've had to adjust. I now pull my stock out a couple of notches, about the length of an A1 stock, and I raise the butt a little higher on my shoulder. This allows my neck to be a little straighter and I'm not looking over my glasses anymore. I still position my cheek at the same place on my stock as before, now it's just a little farther back.

I guess where I'm going with this is, shoot the way it's most comfortable you, just practice and be consistent. Shooting an AR is a lot more enjoyable for me now that I'm not fighting it.

Getting a scope mount height of 1.93 instead of the standard 1.54 height helps straighten the neck by giving a more heads up position.

However, while a higher 1.93 is good for a heads up, standing or running and gunning with a red dot, the standard 1.54 works better in the prone position. When prone, one would strain the neck in the opposite manner, by trying to stretch their neck in order to get their eyeball up into the eye box of the scope.

A couple of companies are starting to come out with a better all purpose height with a 1.7, but their few and far between and hard to find in stock.

As of now, my LPVO is on a 1.54 lower mount for prone and a offset red dot with a 1.93 mount. I can prone for distance with the scope and still have a more heads up hold aiming with the offset dot. The higher offset also allows me to look over the top of the scope with a better both eyes open field of view.

79A46E2A-0F7A-4368-8A9B-02EF3B0F4FA3.jpeg

0DCB45B9-FB6B-427E-8D29-CE7DBE0125E6.jpeg

8F7EB5CC-772A-44B6-AC6F-93DCD5882536.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Getting a scope mount height of 1.93 instead of the standard 1.54 height helps straighten the neck by giving a more heads up position.

However, while a higher 1.93 is good for a heads up, standing or running and gunning with a red dot, the standard 1.54 works better in the prone position. When prone, one would strain the neck in the opposite manner, by trying to stretch their neck in order to get their eyeball up into the eye box of the scope.

A couple of companies are starting to come out with a better all purpose height with a 1.7, but their few and far between and hard to find in stock.

As of now, my LPVO is on a 1.54 lower mount for prone and a offset red dot with a 1.93 mount. I can prone for distance with the scope and still have a more heads up hold aiming with the offset dot. The higher offset also allows me to look over the top of the scope with a better both eyes field of view.

View attachment 1570938
View attachment 1570939
View attachment 1570940
Nice table as well my friend.

As of now, my LPVO is on a 1.54 lower mount for prone and a offset red dot with a 1.93 mount. I can prone for distance with the scope and still have a more heads up hold aiming with the offset dot. The higher offset also allows me to look over the top of the scope with a better both eyes open field of view.

View attachment 1570938
View attachment 1570939
View attachment 1570940

I understand what you mean when going prone with a higher mount and I agree. But, a year and a half ago I had both of my knees replaced due to grinding about an inch of bone down from arthritis. I can walk great now but the only time I get down on the ground is when I drop something and it rolls under the dresser. 😁

I have my PST 2 1-6 at 1.75" with ARMS high mounts and the Leupold 3-9 at 1.46" in a GG&G SPR mount with a red dot at the same hight so I can roll the rifle 30° and I don't have to move my head. All of my other red dots and LVPOs are set up at 1.63".

20220705_200816_resized.jpg

20220705_201314_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I am a ‘nose to the charging handle’ type of guy. I haven’t had any trouble with the recoil punching me in the face and I get the exact same cheek weld and sight picture every time, iron sights or optics. It also helps maintain the proper eye distance of your scope doesn’t have 3 or 4 inches of eye relief to play with.

The only con is I can get a snort full of hot gas if I’m shooting fast. :)
Even a good manufacturer's charging handle can give some nasty leakage. OP, I would drop a couple of rounds myself, first, just in case the AR she's trying has a burping issue.

The sporingy-doingy right in your ear can be disconcerting as well, but can take some of the "fierceness" out of the experience. On the order of, "My Buzz Lightyear phaser-rifle can explode things at 200m...Cool!"

I took the President of my HOA to the range and let him handle and shoot one of my AR’s. He’s 80 years old and really doesn’t handle his 9mm he has for home defense very well. He walks alot and seems in good enough shape, but his upper torso and arms are thin, weak and frail.

He thought he might like an AR, but had no experience with one. He shot from the bench fine, but it just seemed to heavy and awkward for him to shoulder and shoot steady in standing. He just wasn’t solid enough to provide a solid platform throughout his legs, hips and shoulders.

Plus he just couldn’t get past the loud and forceful muzzle blast; and I made sure he had plugs and muffs on.

I kind of had a feeling this would be the probability, so I also brought along the Ruger 10-22 with some BX-25 magazines and some high velocity bull ammo.

Let me tell you; his little old eyes lit up! He had a smile on his face and was punching small groups into a boogeyman silhouette. :)

In his mind, his self defense firearm troubles were over. Him and his wife purchased a 10-22 and vortex red dot the next day.

While it’s not an ideal self defense firearm, it was so much easier, better and safer for all involved, for me to teach him how to handle, shoot, reload, and work malfunction drills for him and his wife with that 10-22 then it was his 9mm with his weak arms and grip.

He just looked much more viable with the Ruger 10-22 then his 9mm pistol or my AR.

The neighborhood is pretty safe and the odds of him using it is low. And the odds of him and his wife getting to the range and keeping up practice is much better since they really enjoyed it.

If the OP’s significant other hasn’t shot a rifle, maybe break her in on a Ruger 10-22 getting her comfortable and then work up to an AR? It’s what I did with my wife, cuz she isn’t a gun person.

But you should see her handle her Colt LE6920. Pretty impressive for a little lady of almost 60 years. :)
Did you hook him up with some CCI Pre-Segmented ammo? I have no issue dropping a 21A or NAA in my pocket with those on board.:wink:

Did you hook him up with some CCI Pre-Segmented ammo? I have no issue dropping a 21A or NAA in my pocket with those on board.:wink:

I carry a NAA .22 Mini Mag in an IWB when regularly exercising fast walking, with their oversized rubber grip. 21A… that was my first CCW pre Permit years ago. Gotta keep the gun REALLY clean firing rim fire .22LR. Better to carry one of these than nothing. 😉

OkieStubble

Even a good manufacturer's charging handle can give some nasty leakage. OP, I would drop a couple of rounds myself, first, just in case the AR she's trying has a burping issue.

The sporingy-doingy right in your ear can be disconcerting as well, but can take some of the "fierceness" out of the experience. On the order of, "My Buzz Lightyear phaser-rifle can explode things at 200m...Cool!"

This is true. While the wife doesn’t do mag dumps, she was catching some gas on 3 round strings. Dropped in a Radian charging handle and she can’t taste it now as much. :)

OkieStubble

I would love to have some segmented CCI. While I have seen it in the zoo, (online) I have never seen the stuff in the wild? (in real life on store shelves). :)

OkieStubble

I carry a NAA .22 Mini Mag in an IWB when regularly exercising fast walking, with their oversized rubber grip. 21A… that was my first CCW pre Permit years ago. Gotta keep the gun REALLY clean firing rim fire .22LR. Better to carry one of these than nothing. 😉
Is that the one who’s grip can fold towards the gun? I think it was called a black widow?

OkieStubble

I understand what you mean when going prone with a higher mount and I agree. But, a year and a half ago I had both of my knees replaced due to grinding about an inch of bone down from arthritis. I can walk great now but the only time I get down on the ground is when I drop something and it rolls under the dresser. 😁

I have my PST 2 1-6 at 1.75" with ARMS high mounts and the Leupold 3-9 at 1.46" in a GG&G SPR mount with a red dot at the same hight so I can roll the rifle 30° and I don't have to move my head. All of my other red dots and LVPOs are set up at 1.63".

View attachment 1570961

View attachment 1570962

Oh by the way, very nice looking Armalite…. :)

One day, when I grow up, I’m going to get me one of those BCM forward angled forearm grips. :)

OkieStubble

View attachment 1570961

View attachment 1570962

I have to say again, your Armalite set up is smashing it…

You don’t hear or see much GG&G around here, but that mount looks awesome. Is your front flip up GG&G also?

Very nice rig sir. :)

Top Bottom