What's new

Dscosmetic Z0

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If this is a good shaving razor, they've totally undercut just about every other precision-crafted stainless razor on the market. Aliexpress price is jaw-dropping on this thing.

It's a clone of the original R41, which was more aggressive. Muhle no longer makes it anymore so this is why I bought mine. It is more aggressive than my R41 and it's all stainless steel.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So..... Looks like the title of this thread should have an edit, "warning, enablement zone ahead!"

Good thing @nemo posted. I'll have to look at the original now, darn him!

Well, you're not wasting any money on the R&D when you make a counterfeit.

Mühle paid for all the design work.
I am a known hater of zamac, and refuse to pay Merkur/Muehle prices for the stuff. Certainly, anyone may disagree, but I have yet to see "value pricing" on any major maker's offering 5-10 years down the road when the molds and R&D are more than paid for in full.

I will buy Chinese made zamac razors, if the quality seems decent, as I feel their cost-value ratio is more honest, at least for Western buyers. I will buy their stainless products when OEMs are not making them, or do so only in price-inflating dribbles.

JCarr

So..... Looks like the title of this thread should have an edit, "warning, enablement zone ahead!"

Good thing @nemo posted. I'll have to look at the original now, darn him!

I've looked at this damn razor five times since discovering it. But I keep telling myself I don't need it which is absolutely true.

I own two 2011 R41s, a 2013 R41, the DS Cosmetic Z0 v1, and previously owned an R41GS.

I haven't measured the head dimensions, but while I do think the Z0 is a little more aggressive than the 2013 R41, it is much closer in performance to the 2013 design than the 2011 design. I think it is a pretty decent razor for the money and for being stainless. I notice that I feel the teeth a little more with the Z0 than I do with other R41 designs. I think that is probably in part due to being SS.

In any event, if you are looking for a 2011 R41 clone, I don't really think the Z0 is exactly that. It isn't a bad shaver though.

My Z0 v2 turned up today and couldn't resist giving it a run out.
Only 3 days of gruff so nothing too demanding. I paired it with a bic chrome platinum blade and a 52g titanium handle.

The Z0 v2 is superb quality without doubt. Tolerances looked perfect & tight; it was polished to a high finish .. quite remarkable for the price I'd say.
Overall weight was 90g all in. I typically like 80-85mm handles, and this titanium is 90mm so it's been pretty much redundant since I bought it because it just didn't seen to fit my others. However on this heavier 38g head the balance is, dare I say .. perfect!

Whilst I have been typically using mild Gillette's of late, I was aware that this would be closer.
Straight off - even being more careful than usual - it felt very close. It wasn't particularly lots of blade feel, however it felt closer than any other shave I can remember; it felt incredibly efficient yet comfortable.

Just as I was getting more confident it bit just under the nose. Probably the blade angle as I turned the head to get up close - first time I have cut myself for a very long time.
Whilst going against the grain on my neck I also drew a little weeper.

It was a one pass shave, and incredibly close. I'd say the Z0 v2 is far more aggressive than my 2013 R41 and my Yaqi slant.

It's a superbly made - however, 1st impression is bit a too aggressive with a bic blade. Next time I will try an Astra.

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_182558~2.jpg
    IMG_20220208_182558~2.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220208_182630~2.jpg
    IMG_20220208_182630~2.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220208_182703.jpg
    IMG_20220208_182703.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220208_182614.jpg
    IMG_20220208_182614.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220208_182711.jpg
    IMG_20220208_182711.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 78
I've looked at this damn razor five times since discovering it. But I keep telling myself I don't need it which is absolutely true.
In a conundrum of coincidences, I have an extra Z0 head on hand. Would you like to try it out?

Pssst. Pssst. Hey. Kid. Try these candy cigarettes...:c1:

JCarr

In a conundrum of coincidences, I have an extra Z0 head on hand. Would you like to try it out?

Pssst. Pssst. Hey. Kid. Try these candy cigarettes...:c1:

That's very kind of you, but I'm going to pass. Really starting to enjoy my current rotation.

Z0 v 2.0 is great!
Much better than Z0 v1.0. The blade is fixed perfectly this time. Good finishes. Now we can say that the Muhle R41 has a competitor to match. Excellent shaving. The blade no longer speaks as in Z0 v.1.0. I do not regret the purchase of this device at all. Thanks to colleagues who brought word about this new version of Z0.

P1140386.JPG

P1140366.JPG

P1140380.JPG

Z0 v 2.0 is great!
Much better than Z0 v1.0. The blade is fixed perfectly this time. Good finishes. Now we can say that the Muhle R41 has a competitor to match. Excellent shaving. The blade no longer speaks as in Z0 v.1.0. I do not regret the purchase of this device at all. Thanks to colleagues who brought word about this new version of Z0.

View attachment 1410839

View attachment 1410841

View attachment 1410842
Ordered a V2 Z0 today out of curiosity and based on your experience with it. Thanks.

Ordered a V2 Z0 today out of curiosity and based on your experience with it. Thanks.
Congratulations for ordering Z0 v 2 is excellent razor, but also Z0 v1 can be greatly improved if you work carefully, manually lower the plate on the edges of the blade with a piece of fine sandpaper so that no light slit can be seen when assembled the two plates. The idea is for the blade to be tightened evenly between the two plates along its entire length.

ps. today I used Z0 v2 for the third day in a row without any irritation or cuts. Great device!

Top Bottom