What's new

Dscosmetic Z0

After buying an R41 in 2017, I have used it everyday. However, I always wished I could buy the original version, which was supposed to be more aggressive. As soon as I found out about the DSCosmetic ZO, I bought one and used it for the first time today. When I opened the box I was suprised at how big and heavy it is. The handle is longer than my R41 and the diamerer is slightly wider. I found no flaws on the razor and it is just as shiny as the R41. It was much more aggressive than the R41, on the very first stroke. I kept on shaving while trying to get my technique perfected. It was a fantastic shave, with no cuts! I got a very close, comfortable shave, which was what I hoped for! I packed my R41 away and will be using the ZO everyday from now on!

I have one as well and compare it to the 2011 R41. Mine came with the titanium handle which is very grippy. Great shaving razor at a bargain price.
IMG_0847.JPG

That looks like my handle. Are they all titanium? I thought it was stainless.
No some are stainless steel and two are titanium. What might be confusing is two of the stainless are exactly like the titanium except for weight. They also have one in brass.

I wish they made the head out of titanium but in the mean time the stainless works.
Why do you prefer the titanium? I think stainless has more shine to it than titanium. Do you like it because it's lighter weight?

Why do you prefer the titanium? I think stainless has more shine to it than titanium. Do you like it because it's lighter weight?
Consider this a very aggressive razor with a large head so reducing weight would really help getting around. Using a titanium handle helps to reduce weight. The razor weights only 3.2 oz which is not bad. A Ti head would reduce it down to about 60 grams.

Consider this a very aggressive razor with a large head so reducing weight would really help getting around. Using a titanium handle helps to reduce weight. The razor weights only 3.2 oz which is not bad. A Ti head would reduce it down to about 60 grams.
Ok, that makes sense. I just checked and mine is all stainless. It is heavy but it didn't seem to affect my shaving technique. I have only used it once so i will probably get used to the weight over time.

Ok, that makes sense. I just checked and mine is all stainless. It is heavy but it didn't seem to affect my shaving technique. I have only used it once so i will probably get used to the weight over time.
And since then, what was your findings??
I've got a Z0 too, I never had a R41, so I can't compare.
I think that it tugs/harsh mainly on mustache and chin, and so far I still haven't been able to find an efficient angle on this areas...
However I never got too hurt and I didn't even have the irritation/bump problems that I expected right after every shave...
When using it daily, it doesn't seem to maintain the same efficiency over the next following days. The same thing happens with a Fatip Retro that I also have.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It's a very good copy, but Mühle now offers a stainless steel R41, too.

The difference:
Mühle is using the 2013 R41, DSCosmetic rather the 2011 model which has the blade protruding more while clamping it down less.

This makes the Z0 more aggressive, but I found the R41 2013 can achieve the same result with possibly less irritation. There is some more chatter in the more exposed upper part of the blade with the 2011 inspired model.

What both have in common is that the handles are overnighted over polished at the expense of grip. But the shape of the Mühle handle and even more so some DSC handles still provide enough grip/control, even if they aren't the grippiest handles per se.

Enjoy removing stubble and irritating protrusions on your face (nose, lips, ears). 👍

And since then, what was your findings??
I've got a Z0 too, I never had a R41, so I can't compare.
I think that it tugs/harsh mainly on mustache and chin, and so far I still haven't been able to find an efficient angle on this areas...
However I never got too hurt and I didn't even have the irritation/bump problems that I expected right after every shave...
When using it daily, it doesn't seem to maintain the same efficiency over the next following days. The same thing happens with a Fatip Retro that I also have.
Since then I am loving it! I am getting the closest shaves ever. The weight of the razor was surprising at first but now that I used to it, I don't even think about it. My technique has improved too so it just keeps getting better!

I pulled the trigger on the version 2 of this - the prototype version whilst more aggressive was said to be too crude .. the version 2 from early reports is less aggressive and far smoother.
Fingers crossed!!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I pulled the trigger on the version 2 of this - the prototype version whilst more aggressive was said to be too crude .. the version 2 from early reports is less aggressive and far smoother.
Fingers crossed!!
If you have the R41, too, check how much the CAP covers the blade from above. That was the difference between the R41 2013 and the Z0 prototype. The Z0 cap left more blade uncovered, which supposedly was the major reason for it being more like the 2011 version of the R41. The difference between 2011 and 2013 is not by coincidence in the cap coverage of the blade by above. One could now argue the prototype is a 2011 R41, the Z0 v2 presumably a 2013... :lol:

I have zamak r41 2013 version which I like - although I like blade feel, i would not want it any more than this.
From what I have read on the prototype, despite the big gap, it cloggs and can be draggy.
Once it arrives I shall do a side by side comparison.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
From what I have read on the prototype, despite the big gap, it cloggs and can be draggy.
Between the 2013 R41, R41 GS, early Z0/prototype, the differences are not too big. The chromed head of zamac R41 glides best, but I had no drag with either. The "grande" longer handle of the R41 GS is heavy due to being steel and has less grip than the zamac, unfortunately. But the shape is still quite comfortable to hold, quite some people replaced it nevertheless. DSCosmetic has hyper polished and always quite slippery handles, but some have a very grippy shape, while being polished overly much (so much shiny polished knurls that they become slippery are an abomination, at least for me, lol). I like the "Ladder" from DSCosmetics, they also copied the Mühle handle, Karve, RazoRock and have some designs of their own, the Scepter is not too unique but a nice, slimmer Superknurl with 4 instead of 3 knurl-rings.
The Z0 has quite some more blade feel at certain angles, as already said the blade is a bit less supported from above. But when I first shaved with it, I really couldn't detect differences to the R41 at all. Only after a while and some side by side shaves I finally noticed that with the cap.

Top Bottom