What's new

Drunken Beans

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've tried lots of beans recipes. This one mat be the best so far.

Drunken Beans

Ingredients:

1 pound of pinto beans
2 poblano's seeds and stem removed and finely diced. I blackened them on top of the gas burner and removed skins.
1 onion finely diced
3 to 6 cloves of diced garlic
4 slices of bacon diced into small squares
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1/4 cup of teguila
3-1/2 cups of water or chicken stock
1 cup Mexican lager beer
About 30 springs of cilantro tied together in a bundle
2 bay leaves
1 gallon of water(for brine)
3 tablespoons of salt (for brine)

Process:

Brine
The secret to this recipe is brining the beans for 24 hours before cooking. It makes the beans really plump and keeps them from splitting and becoming mushy. Just soak in a gallon of water and the salt. Once done, pour out water and rinse beans in fresh water.

Beans:
Pre heat oven to 275 degrees F. Heat diced bacon in a large (oven safe) pot like a ceramic coated dutch until crispy. Remove bacon and leave the grease. Throw in the poblano, garlic and onion...sautee till soft. Turn of heat (try to avoid a fire). Add teguila until alcohol has evaporated. Add stock, beans, bay leaves, cilantro bundle, 1 teaspoon of salt and tomato paste. Cover and place in the oven for 60 minutes or until beans are nice and soft. Remove from oven and place back on stove top on medium high heat. Remove bay leaves and cilantro bundle. Add beer. Cook for another 30 minutes or until the liquids have reduce by at least half and the broth is more thick.

Garnish with the bacon bits, cheese and cilantro with a squeeze of lime.

View attachment 677919

Last edited:
Just lovely. I remember in that Star Trek movie when McCoy brought out his Grandfathers secret ingredient - the world of culinary delights opened its arms wide to me, and I have never been the same uncoordinated unliked disjointed wallflower since! (In fact even Officers of the Law say I'm a Happy Drunk! ) (((that's an exaggeration which I completely and truthfully admit; not the "Happy" part - the other...)))

I do find it extraordinary that there are 'huge' differences in top shelf offerings to well product, even when all that's left is the congeners of a select beverage compounded into my mythic creations. er...ah.. I mean mystical... yes, yes, that's it mystical...

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Mmmmmmm frijoles borracho. I say this about a lot of things but these go best with homemade corn tortillas!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Making a close version of this tomorrow. I'll add bourbon instead of tequila. A few chipotle peppers with adobo sauce will be added.

Chorizo will be added.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The crock pot is bubbling. Not quite finished.
20200930_194852.jpg

Top Bottom