What's new

Old school hamburger casserole

1 lb cream cheese, 1lb sour cream, 1 lb shredded cheese. 1 huge onion or 2 small ones. 2 lbs hamburger, 6 cups tomato sauce ( we used 4 + 2 of diced tomatoes with chili) 1 lb elbow macaroni, pepper salt garlic powder red pepper to taste. Baked (350'+25min)after browning the hamburger and bringing all ingredients to a hard simmer.
IMG_20230326_134126775.jpg

My mom use to make what she called “Easy Day Casserole “ it was ground beef, cream of mushroom soup and tater tots on top. Not the healthiest thing but was comfort food especially when it was a cold day.

Here's my fave:

Minnesota Tater Tot Hotdish!

What You'll Need​

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (10-3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 (32-ounce) package frozen seasoned potato nuggets

What to Do​

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 2-1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion, and salt, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Spoon ground beef into prepared baking dish.
  3. In a small bowl combine soup and milk, mix well. Layer frozen vegetables, soup mixture, and cheese over ground beef. Top with frozen potatoes.
  4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are golden and casserole is heated through.

And if you need a video guide, here you go

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Here's my fave:

Minnesota Tater Tot Hotdish!

What You'll Need​

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (10-3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 (32-ounce) package frozen seasoned potato nuggets

What to Do​

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 2-1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion, and salt, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Spoon ground beef into prepared baking dish.
  3. In a small bowl combine soup and milk, mix well. Layer frozen vegetables, soup mixture, and cheese over ground beef. Top with frozen potatoes.
  4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are golden and casserole is heated through.

And if you need a video guide, here you go

This and some walleye and you're good to go!

AA

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Can anyone verify that Hamburger Helper currently tastes anything like it did in 1971?

I'm pretty sure that it does. They only made one big batch of the cheese packages and have been using that same batch ever since :)

We sure ate a lot of it at the start of our marriage in the early 80's. To shake things up a little, I often substituted Owen's Country Sausage or sliced E. Texas hot links. Yes, I was an aspiring Galloping Gourmet. :)

Top Bottom