What's new

Awesome Clam Chowder Made Easy!

I can’t remember who I stole this recipe from. But I thank you!

CLAM CHOWDER

Ingredients:

2 cups potatoes, diced

1 cup carrots cut into coins

1 cup celery, diced

1 small-medium onion, chopped

water

2 cans clams

3/4 cup butter, melted

3/4 cup flour

1 cup half and half

2 Tbls. red wine vinegar

Salt and pepper to taste

8 oz. salt pork, diced (optional)

Directions:

1. Cut all vegetables and place in large pot.

2. Cover with enough water to just barely cover and add clam juice. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook until vegetables are just tender but still crisp.

3. In another large pot over medium heat, melt butter and add flour; stir until all lumps are removed. Add milk and continue to stir until milk is incorporated into the roux and mixture has thickened.

4. When vegetables are done, slowly pour into pot containing the roux mixture. Stir well; add clams and red wine vinegar continue to simmer until chowder is thickened to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. If adding salt pork, fry salt pork until medium brown and cooked through. Add to mixture when you add the clams. Add pepper to taste-don’t add any salt unless you think it needs it.

NOTE: If you wish to double the recipe, DO NOT double the roux mixture (butter, flour and milk) or the chowder will be too thick.

I love clam chowder but when I have canned clams, they always go into my linguine after getting made into a great garlic, evoo, butter, and pepper flake sauce.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I can’t remember who I stole this recipe from. But I thank you!

CLAM CHOWDER

Ingredients:

2 cups potatoes, diced

1 cup carrots cut into coins

1 cup celery, diced

1 small-medium onion, chopped

water

2 cans clams

3/4 cup butter, melted

3/4 cup flour

1 cup half and half

2 Tbls. red wine vinegar

Salt and pepper to taste

8 oz. salt pork, diced (optional)

Directions:

1. Cut all vegetables and place in large pot.

2. Cover with enough water to just barely cover and add clam juice. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook until vegetables are just tender but still crisp.

3. In another large pot over medium heat, melt butter and add flour; stir until all lumps are removed. Add milk and continue to stir until milk is incorporated into the roux and mixture has thickened.

4. When vegetables are done, slowly pour into pot containing the roux mixture. Stir well; add clams and red wine vinegar continue to simmer until chowder is thickened to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. If adding salt pork, fry salt pork until medium brown and cooked through. Add to mixture when you add the clams. Add pepper to taste-don’t add any salt unless you think it needs it.

NOTE: If you wish to double the recipe, DO NOT double the roux mixture (butter, flour and milk) or the chowder will be too thick.
Just my take, and no ditz on your wonderful recipe… change out the flour for potato flakes.

Last edited:
Sounds delicious. Chowder is one of the perfect cold weather foods. I've never seen red wine vinegar in a chowder recipe, I'll have to give it a try.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bumping. I have some left over ham so I’m thinking of making ham and corn chowder. The wife isn’t a big fan of clams

Top Bottom