What's new

Anyone else cook for their dog?

Both the German Shepherd and the English Mastiff get chicken at every meal mixed in with high fiber, reduced calorie kibble.
We'll mix it up at times with rice, or pumpkin.
Their snack (instead of biscuits) is celery, sometimes carrots, and for infrequent treats a half a banana each.
They love green beans and cooked unsalted peanuts, and other veggies - both cooked and raw as well.
The Mastiff gets 9 cups of food, split into 2 meals daily. The Shepherd gets 6 cups daily, split into 2 meals.
The Shepherd is constantly active, and never walks anywhere. Runs like a madman when we play outside.
The Mastiff is a couch potato and needs to be ordered to get up and go for a walk.
Ha ha, we always had big dogs before with big appetites (Chesapeake Bay retrievers), now we have a 12 pound terrier mix who eats 3/8 cup of Blue Buffalo and commonly doesn't finish.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I cook for my dog indirectly.

1) Lacking a sous chef I typically only have an audience of one. Enter Zoe the whippet mix. She knows to stay out of the way. She also knows scraps are headed her way.

2) I know Mrs. Chef is going to send at least a few bites of leftovers/excess to Zoe the whippet mix.

3) EVERY morning Mrs. Chef prepares one "poached" egg for Zoe the whippet mix. Granted that is only one egg more than she prepares for herself... but every day my dog gets an egg cooked for her. Mrs. Chef has only made me breakfast a handful of times, sigh. Let me add that one of my favorite foods is "something/ANYTHING someone else prepared for me.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I cook for my dog indirectly.

Yeah, I get that. Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund always parks in the "Drop Zone" by the counter when we're cooking. Apples, blueberries, banana, carrot, cabbage, meat trimmings -- some of it somehow ends up in front of her. She knows I'll work around her up to a point, and if I say, "Excuse me, Sweetie" she'll pick herself up and move over. It works.

O.H.

I cook two portions of whatever I am eating. A lot of times it’s just something simple like poached eggs with toast. Sometimes I cook a pork roast. Sometimes I bake salmon sometimes just hamburgers, but I cook enough for her and for me.

After biting me, he's lucky to still have a roof. 😄

Besides that, the little monster has pancreatitis and requires Hills Prescription Diet, which costs over 100 bucks for a bag.

He is the definition of "lucky dog".

No, I do not cook for him.

This is him "alpha-dogging" my side of the bed, waiting for his mom to come home.

20230713_172753.jpg

Old Hippie

the extent of my cooking for the dog is selecting bone-in steaks so that she can have an after dinner treat.

Dachshunds are easy that way. If you eat dog food, they will eat dog food. If you eat steak, they will eat steak.

Also, none braver from inside the fence.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Technically it's raw and therefore not "cooked" but we do a lot of work in the kitchen for the dog. Yesterday was one of our regular, every three months or so, "Dog Food Days."

In total we processed 55 or 60 pounds of stuff:

Beef tongue
Beef liver
Beef heart
Chicken heart
Chicken liver
Chicken gizzard
Pork kidney
Dried egg yolk
Bovine gelatin

All of which was ground through a 1/4" plate into a large pot, then mixed with a large paddle. A handful between two pieces of parchment; several of those stacked in a small plastic bucket; the buckets piled up in the freezer. We made 27 buckets.

Flappy was underfoot the whole time, keeping a close eye on the process and offering occasional suggestions. "Can you drop another gizzard on the floor? I need some practice cleaning them up."

After we spent all morning chopping, slicing, grinding and mixing, got it all packed up and in the freezer -- then it was her job to clean up the pot:

IMG_0757[1].JPG

Her Highness pulled her head out to say "Thanks!" and also to ask me to turn the pot for easier licking:

IMG_0758[1].JPG

Now she's set for a while.

O.H.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I cook to feed myself so I’m surviving and full of energy enough to work for a living to afford to buy the dog dog food. So yeah….I cook for the dog in a roundabout way :laugh:

He gets table scraps every now and then. That’s the only cooking I or anyone in the fam has ever done for a dog.

I got some friends that feed their dogs scrambled eggs and some sort of fish every day. I just shake my head :letterk1:

Old Hippie

That’s the only cooking I or anyone in the fam has ever done for a dog.

I believe the deer in South Dakota are the stupidest animals on this planet -- and possibly in this entire stellar region. I have never seen so much roadkill, especially in a place that's generally so open you can see traffic on the freeway from 20 miles away.

But very few of them linger on the roadsides. Lots of guys will just whip over with the pickup, toss a carcass in the back, and take it home. Once there, they toss it to the dogs and that's food for a few days. Done.

O.H.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Our old girl of 16 years went peacefully last week. For the last year I was cooking lots of different things for her as she was off most food and lost appetite. Plenty of chicken, beef, salmon and veggies, table scraps, whatever we could get into her towards the end. Her last few weeks consisted of beef stew and Yorkshire puddings, always her favourite.
C64D0E3F-FCD3-4EA3-BC02-B0284172B892.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Our old girl of 16 years went peacefully last week. For the last year I was cooking lots of different things for her as she was off most food and lost appetite. Plenty of chicken, beef, salmon and veggies, table scraps, whatever we could get into her towards the end. Her last few weeks consisted of beef stew and Yorkshire puddings, always her favourite. View attachment 1687846
Good looking pup. That was a tough loss I'm sure.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Some evenings we slice some baguette and dip itin olive oil sprinkled with Adams Cacio e Pepe dipping mix, salt, and pepper. The dog demands his share.

My wife and I adopted a white husky from a rescue. He had been living on the streets of LA for an unknown long time judging from his condition and worn teeth. He was 42 pounds and completely emaciated when we got him. The rescue told us he would have to be on soft food for the rest of his life and recommended we cook him fresh meat and veggies. Well, that did not work at all. Our vet said most dogs have food allergies and are not designed to digest human foods like vegetables. We were cooking up a storm but it was not helping him. Once we got him on the Hills ZD with hydrolyzed protein, he transformed in a months time and now weighs a healthy 58 lbs and is super strong. So I guess my point is, sometimes we think we are doing something good for our pets when in reality we are not. Here are before and after pictures. My avatar is his profile, he looks like a stalking wolf when he walks.

IMG_1782.jpg
Kota-LapDog.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Our old girl of 16 years went peacefully last week. For the last year I was cooking lots of different things for her as she was off most food and lost appetite. Plenty of chicken, beef, salmon and veggies, table scraps, whatever we could get into her towards the end. Her last few weeks consisted of beef stew and Yorkshire puddings, always her favourite. View attachment 1687846
Adorable. So sorry for the loss.

Top Bottom