What's new

Anyone else cook for their dog?

I just got through cooking for the little rapscallion. My wife did all the research and math, so I don't know if this is her recipe or if she borrowed it from elsewhere.

3 pounds lean chicken
1 1/2 dry white rice
1 cup green beans
1 cup carrots
1 cup peas
1 cup butternut squash
15 oz can of no sodium kidney beans, drained
4 cups water

Throw it all in a crock pot on high for 4 hours. I stir it a couple of times during cooking. Remove and shred the chicken in a mixing bowl with a mixer. Stir everything back together. After it all cools my wife weighs out 4 ounce portions and we freeze them. Our 14 pound dog gets two (4oz) portions a day.

It's actually not bad at all. A little salt and butter and most people would think they're eating a chicken pot pie.

IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I used to make him ground turkey, rice, and green beans. Hill's Science Diet is ridiculously expensive, but he likes it, and it seems to be better for him. It gets caught in his flews and spatters the floor, but what the heck, he's eleven.
IMG_2832.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpeg

Had to do it at one point for mine. She ate the same dog food for 8-10 years and one day couldn't keep it down. That lasted a little bit and the vet said to try plain ol' chicken and rice. That worked. She ate that for close to a year and we eventually tried dog food again. No problems at all that time. She finished out her long life happy as could be.

Outside of my wife having to fix up a big batch of food often, the dog loved it and I wouldn't be surprised if it came out cheaper in the long run doing it that way.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
When as a child I had a dog, my family never bought dog food or cooked anything specific for him. We simply made an extra portion of whatever we were having and he had that; main course, dessert, the lot. My Mother always cooked fresh food so that worked out just fine, if you live off ready meals or junk food then it might not be a good idea.

Chicken and Rice when our dog is not feeling well, keep some frozen so it's readily available if necessary. Otherwise, it's Blue Buffalo.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Both the German Shepherd and the English Mastiff get chicken at every meal mixed in with high fiber, reduced calorie kibble.
We'll mix it up at times with rice, or pumpkin.
Their snack (instead of biscuits) is celery, sometimes carrots, and for infrequent treats a half a banana each.
They love green beans and cooked unsalted peanuts, and other veggies - both cooked and raw as well.
The Mastiff gets 9 cups of food, split into 2 meals daily. The Shepherd gets 6 cups daily, split into 2 meals.
The Shepherd is constantly active, and never walks anywhere. Runs like a madman when we play outside.
The Mastiff is a couch potato and needs to be ordered to get up and go for a walk.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We used to "cook" for Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund, a recipe we called "Dog Loaf" made by the 10-gallon batch. It had rice and grains, meats, eggs, squash etc. and it was her Favourite Thing. But she had some allergies or other kind of reaction to something and Mrs. Hippie did some reading about raw diets for dogs.

Now we spend a while collecting parts: we have ground mutton from a neighbour; we get beef liver and kidney; chicken liver, heart and gizzard; plus egg powder and some other things and it's her Favourite Thing. We make it into patties large enough for one day, stack them with parchment between and freeze them in small plastic buckets.

Plus, I always have some chicken livers around when I want to make pate.

O.H.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't think we've ever cooked just for him, but we do give him some of the things we eat.

Like others, he LOVES brocolli and anything else Brassica. We'll definitely give him some of that.

I actually keep a small baggie of chopped green cabbage in the fridge just for him. A little handful is a treat for him. You'd think it was heroin!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
With as much food as my 2 year old gives the dog I might as well be cooking for him. She learned to say his name before she said mama. The dog tolerates my two boys but he absolutely loves the "baby" girl.

Top Bottom