What's new

Dropped my razor in the toilet :-(

View attachment 949106

I drowned a few pagers in the WC. Normally made an effort to retrieve it, bag it and then exchange it for a fresh one. That said there was one I dunked in a toilet at DFW that I had no interest in going after. Flushed the.....errrr....other material but the pager just kind of spun around in the vortex.

Kal,

Retrieving the pager to turn back in was certainly the gentlemanly thing to do. But did your boss ask why you did so with surgical gloves on?

But you’re right, depending on the state of the toilet, some things are just better “lost or misplaced”.

John

See, now that I could understand. Brushes are organic and I would not use one that went in the toilet. Same with a plastic razor. A metal razor wouldn't hold on to bugs, replace the blade and disinfect it and no problem.
I soaked it in hot water with some Dawn and it was a synthetic brush, so it probably was fine but I just couldnt bring myself to do it.
I weighed the options of a $10 brush vs the risk for infection and worst case scenario with that. I chose to pitch the brush.

Kal,

Retrieving the pager to turn back in was certainly the gentlemanly thing to do. But did your boss ask why you did so with surgical gloves on?

But you’re right, depending on the state of the toilet, some things are just better “lost or misplaced”.

John
LOL fortunately the boss never had to find out. The service provider had what in retrospect was a fantastic replacement policy. 24/7, no questions asked they'd replace a damaged or lost pager at no charge.

As an aside, I miss pagers. I liked that (aside from full submersion) they were quite durable, in those days the coverage was infinitely better than the analog cell network, compared to contemporary phones they were tiny and had a long battery lives.

These were my favorites
7186127084_83b54ab0e7_b.jpg s-l1000.jpg

My daughter always leaves it up and i always go in and put it down because i'd heard of people accidentally dropping/knocking stuff in.
dave

In the early 1980's, my wife and I and two daughters lived in an apartment with a small bathroom and had one of those tall racks over the toilet. One day, a pumice stone fell off the shelf as the toilet was flushed and got caught in the elbow. Maintenance had to replace the whole toilet. Since then the toilet seats in our house are kept down. It has the benefit of keeping dogs and kids from temptation. Another bathroom tip from some old guy. Since a daughter had mono in the 1980's, we have kept a roll of paper towels on the counters of our bathrooms for drying hands. It has meant less wash and fewer germs passing from person to person than a hand towel. My wife and I are now empty-nesters and still use paper towels instead of hand towels. Kids, grandkids and the great-grandkid also use paper towels when they visit us.

As far as the OP's razor, family germs won't hurt you. A little dish soap, a soft toothbrush & maybe a dip in some rubbing alcohol, if you're obsessive & you're good to go. If I dropped mine in a toilet at Grand Central Station, I'd probably leave it. At home, no big deal.

My question is how long can germs last on a razor that can infect you? It would seem to me that any germs would not last long once the razor was out of the toilet.

Clostridium difficile (C. Diff.) - think bad GI symptoms, and include Norovirus - several months. Multiresistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) - increasingly common hospital-acquired infections - up to 3 months on hard surfaces and hospital gowns. Bacterial endospores (like clostridium botulinum) - thousand of years, as far as we know. Yes, that's thousands. Maybe millions. Including in a cold vacuum, as in space. In case you were wondering.

Clostridium difficile (C. Diff.) - think bad GI symptoms, and include Norovirus - several months. Multiresistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) - increasingly common hospital-acquired infections - up to 3 months on hard surfaces and hospital gowns. Bacterial endospores (like clostridium botulinum) - thousand of years, as far as we know. Yes, that's thousands. Maybe millions. Including in a cold vacuum, as in space. In case you were wondering.

I was wondering but now I wish I hadn't. Dang, germs are nasty buggers for sure.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Had Norovirus a year ago ... And I don't ever, ever want to be that sick again.

Would gladly flush any razor I own...

AA

Except the 16/66

Was there anything "in" the toilet?

Today I was painting a basement we remodeled for a customer with a co-worker. After lunch, I had to use the bathroom of the customer. [I try to avoid this]

There was a large...deposit...there in the bowl. After use, I went down and asked my co-worker if he'd used the toilet, ready to chide him for not flushing if he said he'd used it. He hadn't used the the toilet. Which created a new mystery.

See, the deposit was there. Unflushed. And it was large. But what wasn't in there was toilet paper. So...no wipe?

Why no wipe? Who does that? Or rather, who doesn't do that? I shall not sleep soundly this night, as this paradox will confound me.

Today I was painting a basement we remodeled for a customer with a co-worker. After lunch, I had to use the bathroom of the customer. [I try to avoid this]

There was a large...deposit...there in the bowl. After use, I went down and asked my co-worker if he'd used the toilet, ready to chide him for not flushing if he said he'd used it. He hadn't used the the toilet. Which created a new mystery.

See, the deposit was there. Unflushed. And it was large. But what wasn't in there was toilet paper. So...no wipe?

Why no wipe? Who does that? Or rather, who doesn't do that? I shall not sleep soundly this night, as this paradox will confound me.
Maybe they flushed, walked away without checking on the success of the flush and the paper went down but the large deposit did not.

I was wondering but now I wish I hadn't. Dang, germs are nasty buggers for sure.

They are, as they say, tough little sombitches. The true Aliens among us. Spores have been revived over 200 million years old - think of that particular individual organism being alive a hundred million years before the first tiny dinosaur crawled out of the muck. They are as close to immortal as we are likely to see, essentially unchanged. Not impossible to kill - a plasma torch will do it, and I'm not kidding, or prolonged high heat - but they (endospores) are extremely immune to hard radiation, toxic chemicals, cold, vacuum, and just about anything else that would kill other organisms instantly. And time. We humans think we are the top of the evolutionary ladder, but they were here millions of years before we were a twinkle in Daddy's eye, and they will be here long, long after we are gone. As to why, see my first post in this thread. You have to respect persistence.

Y’all are bad, bad people. The mystery turd was bad enough, but mutant, immortal bugs is a whole ‘nutha level of torment.
I’ve had Giardia before-misery. I won’t go into the details, but all 3 Imodium AD pills did was make Blue Bubbles. I’d take a flame thrower to them all.

Y’all are bad, bad people. The mystery turd was bad enough, but mutant, immortal bugs is a whole ‘nutha level of torment.
I’ve had Giardia before-misery. I won’t go into the details, but all 3 Imodium AD pills did was make Blue Bubbles. I’d take a flame thrower to them all.

I've heard Giardia is bad bad bad news. My wife squeals like a stuck pig if I drink from a stream. She thinks a deer died up steam. She's a bit...off sometimes.

Bury it, walk away, don't look back. Burn anything that came in contact with it. Get the razor you've been wanting.

Let's say you drop a piece of bacon. When you pick it up there is a dog/cat/other hair stuck to it.

Will you pick off the hair and eat the bacon anyway? If the answer is yes you can just rinse off the razor and party on dude. If no use Barbicide, steam, bleach, autoclave or bury it.

Last edited:
Let's say you drop a piece of bacon. When you pick it up there is a dog/cat/other hair stuck to it.

Will you pick off the hair and eat the bacon anyway? If the answer is yes you can just rinse off the razor and party on dude.
You don’t pick it off, you blow it clean. Come on!

Interesting. Gross, and yet I'd like to get to the bottom of this mystery as well. Let us know once you've figured this out. I won't sleep well tonight either.

This thread is cracking me up! Like a lot of people said, it's not a big deal. I'd just disassemble it and soak it in the sink basin with soap. You could spray the pieces with Lysol too. But it will be fine.

Top Bottom